Picked my first tomato!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jillianjiggs, Jun 5, 2004.

1. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

I picked my first tomato a couple days ago. It's a pretty gnarly looking thing, but it's a tomato none-the-less. I should have a lot of roma's ready here in the next week or so, too! Even the cucumbers and bell peppers are almost ready!

yay!

2. shepmom

shepmom Well-Known Member

Late start here. All the plants are growing and healthy. I do have tiny green cherry tomatoes ....not sure if it's the Thai Pink plant or the Sungold at this point. :)

3. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Oh good grief (jealousy reigns supreme!). And here I was excited because I PLANTED my garden today! Welcome to NW Iowa, I guess! :) But I have a pretty big list of things that I got out there, including tomato plants, peppers, leaf and head lettuce, cabbage, carrots, radishes, brussels sprouts, kale, swiss chard, bush beans (don't like pole beans), fava beans... I still have to get the sweet corn planted, and all of the viney, spreading plants in another area: watermelon, pumpkins, zucchini, acorn and butternut squash, canteloupe, cucumbers.

And the beets and turnips will wait until late July for planting and I'll probably do more radishes and carrots, too, later on...they get sweeter with a frost over them first - and around here frost hits about late September to mid-October...SOOOO unpredictable!

What *is* predictable is the spring weather as we watch all of our neighbors' gardens get wiped out by a late frost or spring storm...they haven't figured it out yet, I guess. :)

-Sarah

4. Bailey

Bailey Well-Known Member

I finally got enough tomatos off my plants to make a batch of salsa. I was lacking jalapenos, but I had plenty of green chilis and red peppers to go for it. I roasted everything in a cast iron skillet and then peeled them. I've never done that before and it really gave this salsa a yummy flavor.

5. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Oh good grief (jealousy reigns supreme!).

Gee you would really be jealous of me then. My first batch of tomatoe plants are almost done for. Been canning tomatoes like crazy. Now the second 50 plants are starting to set fruit. The first batch of plants were the Empire tomatoes. Man did they produce well, and have a great flavor.

6. Michael83705

Michael83705 Well-Known Member

Add me to the jealous list- Mine are still green!

7. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I'm just thrilled my tiny plants survived the frost we had at the end of May :waa: Maybe tomatoes by August here......

8. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Jealous ----- count me in. I am in Northern VT -our plants went in Sunday, everything else but the corn yesterday. Corn today (of course - it is supposed to be 90 + today!!!)

What we wouldn't give for a fresh tomatoe or some nice greens. :worship: Maybe we should move south!

9. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Boy you are really going to be jealous now then. The wife and I put over 130 ears of corn in the freezer on Sunday. And that's just from the first batch. Second batch of corn is about 3 ft. high, and the third batch is just about a foot high.

Taters did great this year. Got almost 300 lbs. of taters from four 30 foot rows. I really worked on them this year. God has truely bless us this year with a bountiful harvest.