Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This winter I am endeavoring to be more informative. I propose that we write a series of articles on topics that may be of interest to the survivalist community. I'll get the ball rolling with the article of your choice on one of the topics listed below. After the weekend, whatever seems to be most in demand I'll put together and submit.

I'll post these either here or link to them elsewhere. I'm giving you in the survival community here at HT (as a reward for putting up with me) the pick of which one I undertake first. Each will require some research, but I haven't figured these to be too time consuming.

Your choices are:

1. Primitive methods for purifying water (no store-bought materials required)

2. Navigation by stars (basics without tools)

3. A Wildcrafting Primer (an introductory article in identifying and procuring wild herbs and edibles)

4. Short-term prediction of the weather (the basics in identifying seasonal patterns and 24 hour forecasts based on season and cloud formation)

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
What a NEAT idea.

I'm going to hold off voting for one, until I think on it just a little bit.

Angie

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I vote for #1, as water is THE most important element to survival...but #3 comes in a close second, lol. Since everyone's voting on #1 or #3, maybe you could do one now and then do the other one soon? Not that I'm making extra work for you or anything.... :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Those are four great topics and it's hard for me to choose. #2 is something I've always wanted to know more about but I'll wait my turn. The water probably would be more practical.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Navigation by the stars, please? I already know quite a bit about the other three topics.

This is a good idea. We ought to come up with a list of topics, and each pick one or two to research and write about.

Kathleen

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Navigation by the stars, please? I already know quite a bit about the other three topics.

This is a good idea. We ought to come up with a list of topics, and each pick one or two to research and write about.

Kathleen
If not one of Ernie's topics, what's to stop any of you from choosing a topic (or letting the group pick one as in Ernie's post) and doing one.

Angie

·
Semper Fidelis
4,609 Posts
Well #1 - might be my choice from the options given...

#2 - I can find the North Star (Polaris). I do some astronomy with a simple refractor telescope, when the fog isn't too thick up here...

#3 - Wouldn't that depend on one's geographical location?? Little red berries there may be edible, but here they could be poisonous!!!!!

#4 - the metal pins in my leg can do that, from the change of barometric pressure... I can tell you, when it is gonna rain!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
..............Also , maybe a short primer on how to calculate the physical length , and how to build a simple dipole(halfwave) antenna for a given frequency for a ham band .

·
Banned
6,042 Posts
Ernie,

This is a great idea.... I figure we could all do a primer article on various topics and get quite a knowledge base. Quite a few of us i'm sure have a lot to share.

I'd like #3... Tho, I agree with Radiofish in the limiting factor may be geographic. But if a few folks contribute with follow up articles for your area it would be more complete.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To clarify, the primer on identifying edibles would be just that ... here's some books and resources on how to identify, methods of classification, and some sample plants that I walk through the process. Those methods would cover people in the plant-rich Midwest like myself, as well as folks in the Mojave desert. The methods are the same regardless of where you are in the world. :)

And Fordy, you're on your own with that radio thing. I went with topics that I had a knowledge in. I don't know dipole from bipole.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts