Pick up truck

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SCBPX, Dec 12, 2006.

1. SCBPX

SCBPX Member

with the prospect of the move to the new property in the next 6 weeks we are toying with the idea of a tough vehicle and are considering a pick up truck.

Here in England the majority are japanese e.g. Nissan with some small Fords (well small compares to the pukka U.S. types!) now coming onto the 2nd hand market, including some 4 seater cab types.

they are still a comparitive rarity over here but as I know they are mainstream in the U.S. does anyone have any particular words of wisdom / little known facts w.r.t. pick up trucks please.
    thanks

Steve

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................As a general proposition , any vehicle with a diesel engine will ALways perform with the highest efficiency comparatively speaking vs. a gas engine . This is especially , True , when you are hauling tractors , animals , feed , and what have Ya' . I'd find a crewcab with the largest carrying weight capacity with a diesel engine available , assuming it's within your budget . fordy... :)

3. Thoughthound

Thoughthound Well-Known Member

After becoming frustrated with all the modern do-dads, I bought a 17 year-old truck. No frills, all manual. It was the best decision I've made. By the way, I also have a 1952 IH pickup and it never gives me trouble.

The older Suburbans are tough, but if you plan to haul manure--not a good choice. Don't know if you can find them in the UK, but I believe the Silverado is the pickup version of the Suburban.

Of course you'll never get power, hauling capacity and fuel economy in the same vehicle.

I've heard good things about Tacomas, but they are smaller.

4. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

Get a Toyota. They're reliable, tough, and a pleasure to own. A removable cap for the bed can make them more versatile.( you can transport more cargo that shouldn't get wet, et cetera. The rear end is lighter than other types of vehicles, and they tend to be rear wheel drive, requiring some extra weight in the bed in icy weather for traction. Sandbags are commonly used for that purpose here.

They drive differently than a car. Stiffer suspension, higher center of gravity. I actually prefer the feel of driving a truck to a car. Some don't.

4-wheel drive can be nice if you're doing a lot of off-pavement driving. Otherwise, it just increases fuel consumption.

I'll second the diesel comment, now if Toyota would just make a diesel powered truck...

5. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Having owned both Ford and Toyota small pickups, I would go with Toyota or Nissan. Ford and GMC don't make anything worth buying anymore. There has been discussion of this in the past in the "SHOP" forum.

6. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Totally in agreement with getting diesel if you can, not only for the workhorse aspects and fuel efficiency of a diesel, but also because you can easily convert it to burn just about anything, including used vegetable oil.

Something else I'd consider is vehicle support. We drive exclusively older Jeeps, not just because of our personal bias (we love them!) but because they are so easy to service and the parts are readily available.

Pony!

7. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

A word of caution about vehicles in general. The vehicles sold in the U.S. are not the same ones sold in Europe. You may want to check with some local folks to see what has a good local history before buying.

8. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

Think about what you want the truck to do for you and then go out and look for that within your budget. (And for $25 or less get a carfax report too, even if you buy from a dealer or a "friend".)

I second the comments on diesels being more efficient (and generally more powerful).

The single biggest thing to consider IF you are going to use it for this is towing capacity and braking power. Do NOT attempt to tow a fully loaded stock trailer with a mini SUV - even if the towing capacity is high enough (doubtful) it may not have the breaking power necessary to STOP that amount of weight moving along at 40mph+. So many people ignore this when they go to buy a truck or tow vehicle.

Also, make sure you drive the truck you want to buy in town and the harrier spots where you have to PARK (especially parallel park) so you can get a feel for how it works and how you handle it. One thing I tell people that have never driven rear-wheel drive vehicles - it's like riding a horse - you push from the back through the front... else you will be bumping over curbs from cutting it too short when you turn out onto the road from a parking lot. ;)

I personally drive an F250HD Diesel (Ford, 3/4-ton, extended cab, full-sized pick-up with a long bed and a heavy duty package). It's old but it is still runnin' great with over 200,000 miles on it and no major maintenance needs since I bought it 110,000 miles ago... A gasoline truck of the same age and design would not have lasted this long, though.

9. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

We LOVE our Toyota Tacoma. Rough as a cobb & great to drive, too. Bigger version is the Tundra.

Patty

10. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

Remember servicing.
    If you see an ad for brand X, (I'm assuming your thinking a used unit)------how far away would you have to go for parts and service . . .?? . . . . .like it or not, things do break.

Just curious what is the price of petro in your area . .?

11. treefrog

treefrog Well-Known Member

toyota does make a diesel powered truck. they just don't sell them in the u.s.a. they're all over the place in costa rica and the rest of central america. toyota labels their trucks "hilux" they used that label here in the u.s. until about 1980.

the "hilux double" is the top of the line for farm trucks in central america. double cab, fairly small truck bed, four wheel drive, and a four cylinder diesel engine. strong, tough as nails, and almost indestructible. tends to be a little pricey, but you can't get anything better as a workhorse vehicle. if they sell this model in britain, be sure to look at it.

pax
    t.f.

12. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

Also, if you are so inclined, remember that diesels are easier to service (simpler engines with fewer moving parts) and can be run on biofuel or even SVO (with some work). I haven't done that yet, maybe one of these days I'll muster up the energy to actually read through all the stuff I researched on it a few years ago... *sigh*

13. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

you might want a jeep cherokee diesel and pull a trailer with it

14. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

I'm not going to give a direct link due to some Very Graphic Nude Adult pics that show up on the pages. (That's your Warning!!!)
    But if you search for a site called (MuchoSucko) (tastless humor). Then click on (Videos) on the top right. Then type in (Tough Truck) in the search box. Click on the (Helix truck video). They take an old warn out truck and drown it in the ocean, set it on fire, knock a building down on it, and it will still start and run. A real must see! And the site is free. Lots of neat stuff on there, along with some, ahh tasteless humor. :D

Thinking they said a Helix was just a Toyota marketed in another country.

15. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

If you are in England then your best bet is an EX-MOD diesel long wheel base landie. Ex-MOD series IIIs are a harder to come by but you should be able to get a mid 80's defender with a bad squadie paint job for very little. Those things will climb a greasy Devon hill in springtime, leaving everything else at the base of the hill. On top of that they have front, mid and rear PTO units that you can run everything from an arc welder to a winch off of. They really can't be beat for the value.

Wish I still had mine.

J

16. montysky

montysky Well-Known Member

Okay, for me starting at first base:

How much weight are you planning on Hauling
    how much weight are you planning on towing
    Are you going to drive on dirt roads, off road
    trailer is it a: Class 4, 5th Wheel or a Goose Neck?

Every truck will have a chart to rate the truck.
    Diesels are great, but not everyone needs one. in the states it will take about 70,000 miles to recover the cost of the diesel engine vs a Gas engine.

17. dodgewc

dodgewc Well-Known Member

If'n ya cain't stack sheets a plywood in 'er, or a mess a 2x4's, it ain no pick-em up. These here chebby avalanchees and ferd eggsploder thingees ain't trucks. Heck, I kin haul a heck of a lot more in my ol' s10 blazer than these girlie-man cars. 'Course, I can't pull much of a trailer either. :grump: I don't know what you can get over on your little island :rolleyes: , but us folks here in the colonies have lots to chose from. You don't need a big open bed to haul from, just need room to stuff it in! Just try to find a reliable vehicle from someone you trust.

18. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

Toyota.

(And this is from a guy who drives a F-150...)

19. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i drove all kinds of trucks we now have a chevy silverado a work horse we pull a 36 foot camper up and down mts. like its not there hit the tow button hardly shifts going up mts.

20. MyHomesteadName

MyHomesteadName Well-Known Member

Toyota.

I like the Rovers, but unless you buy the older ones, they seem to have reliability issues. At least thats what they say on the forums. I've never owned one.
    I love defender 110's

US makers are pretty much crap, but over here they are the only ones making a diesel. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a Diesel for the states TOYOTA!!! :grump:

The older US trucks can be pretty good. I'd LOVE to have a 1969-1972 Chevy Blazer. Bunch o' politically correct weenies won't make an open top hunting vehicle anymore. :grump: