Pick up truck seating seven??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by organicfarmer, Jul 13, 2004.

1. organicfarmer

organicfarmer Well-Known Member

Is there such an animal as a pickup truck that seats seven? We are wanting to travel with our children full-time for a year and the fifth wheel trailers seem to be more spacious than a class c motorhome as well as having more storage space. We have 5 children so all pick up trucks that we have seen are out of the question. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. danielbrown

danielbrown Active Member

there is a company that does conversions so that pickup can seat more the six.
    i forget the name. try google.

3. Using an SUV such as a Dodge Durango, which can seat 7 comfortably and pulling a "bumper pull" trailer rather than a fifth wheel might be an option.

I have a Durango and it easily pulls my 24' travel trailer like it isn't even there. There are longer "bumper pull" trailers on the market.

Then for day trips, you would still have cargo space behind the third seat in the Durango for picnic baskets, toys, etc.

4. Hogsubie

Hogsubie Well-Known Member

I've seen some custom conversions that were extended crewcabs and some versions with six doors. I've also seen custom conversions from full size vans where the cut off about 1/4 to 1/3 of the back of the van for the 5th wheel, leaving the seating area. All of those tend to be very pricey because they are made by conversion companies, similar to limo and hearse manufacturers. Not to mention the length of a truck like that plus a 5th wheel trailer would probably be very difficult to drive.
    My suggestion would be to get a 3/4ton Suburban and the biggest travel (tow-hitch) trailer you can get. I'm sure there's something large enough to fit all your kids in as well as having a private bedroom for you.

5. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
  6. danielbrown

danielbrown Active Member

a centurion (Fords Suburban or 4door bronco) can seat 8 and tow a 5th wheel if you go "topless".

7. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

IMO there is nothing practical that will seat 7 and pull a fifth wheel. Like someone said, your best bet is a Suburban or Expedition, conversion or passenger van, etc., then a good bumper-pull trailer.

8. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    Steve, you mean to say that my suggestion isn't practical?!?
    ;)

9. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

our children are smallish (one is adult size) and we had a 4th set of seat belts added to the back bench seat
    then we seat 3 in the front

10. organicfarmer

organicfarmer Well-Known Member

Thank you for all of the suggestions. We will check out used trucks that have been converted as well as bumper pull trailers.

11. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

We had a Suburban, when it ran it was quite nice and roomy. Whatever you get, make sure it is built well and can handle what you want to do.

12. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

What you need is one of these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

14. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Ya know, if OrganicFarmer can afford one of these, I'm in the wrong business!