Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such an animal as a pickup truck that seats seven? We are wanting to travel with our children full-time for a year and the fifth wheel trailers seem to be more spacious than a class c motorhome as well as having more storage space. We have 5 children so all pick up trucks that we have seen are out of the question. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

U

·
0 Posts
Using an SUV such as a Dodge Durango, which can seat 7 comfortably and pulling a "bumper pull" trailer rather than a fifth wheel might be an option.

I have a Durango and it easily pulls my 24' travel trailer like it isn't even there. There are longer "bumper pull" trailers on the market.

Then for day trips, you would still have cargo space behind the third seat in the Durango for picnic baskets, toys, etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've seen some custom conversions that were extended crewcabs and some versions with six doors. I've also seen custom conversions from full size vans where the cut off about 1/4 to 1/3 of the back of the van for the 5th wheel, leaving the seating area. All of those tend to be very pricey because they are made by conversion companies, similar to limo and hearse manufacturers. Not to mention the length of a truck like that plus a 5th wheel trailer would probably be very difficult to drive.
My suggestion would be to get a 3/4ton Suburban and the biggest travel (tow-hitch) trailer you can get. I'm sure there's something large enough to fit all your kids in as well as having a private bedroom for you.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
IMO there is nothing practical that will seat 7 and pull a fifth wheel. Like someone said, your best bet is a Suburban or Expedition, conversion or passenger van, etc., then a good bumper-pull trailer.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
our children are smallish (one is adult size) and we had a 4th set of seat belts added to the back bench seat
then we seat 3 in the front

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all of the suggestions. We will check out used trucks that have been converted as well as bumper pull trailers.

·
Registered
989 Posts
We had a Suburban, when it ran it was quite nice and roomy. Whatever you get, make sure it is built well and can handle what you want to do.

·
Premium Member
18,069 Posts
Ya know, if OrganicFarmer can afford one of these, I'm in the wrong business!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts