Pic (hopefully)

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Hilda, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Ok, let's see if I can do this...I'm such a 'puter boob... :nerd: This *should* be a photo of Gemini, my Creme buck. He's having a run around. Was not impressed with me taking his picture, if I'm reading his thumps right.

[​IMG]

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

What a pretty boy! Tell him to get busy and do his duty!

3. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Oh, but why not? He's beautiful. Show him the picture and he'll understand. :)

4. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

I don't know very much about rabbits..but i know good looking when i see it. Wow. What breed is he?

5. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

He's beautiful Hilda! He looks like a little chunk...and his color is nice and bright too!

aintlifegrand, Hilda has Creme d'Argents

6. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

here's my doe Tulip
    [​IMG]

7. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the nice compliments. I think he is a handsome guy, too. His colour is really not as bright as he is showing, I guess it's just how the picture turned out. He's a little bit brighter than your doe, Rabbitgal, but not by much. Tulip is beautiful, by the way.

MaggieJ, boy, do I wish he'd do his duty! He's certainly willing and able, I fear he may-be shooting blanks :Bawling: Or may-be it's just not going to happen till the spring. So many variables. I keep the lights on for 14 hours a day but may-be it's not enough.

8. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

Great looking pics, you guys! I haven't ever seen those breeds in person. Well maybe the one year I went to convention. I was into hollands then, so I didn't pay attention to anything else. Nice rabbits!

Tim B.

9. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Hilda, it could be the does too...my Cremes are a bit harder to breed than my Cals. It's like they need to be in just the right mood to accept the bucks. :p The does could always be fat too. :shrug:

10. farmer brad

farmer brad Member

those are very nice where does anybody sell them in texas houston area my littel girl wants a rabbit and those look great

11. MaggieJ

Hilda, when you breed your rabbits, do you watch to make sure they actually DO IT? Does the buck fall off? If he is just humping away and she doesn't lift her tail, all his effort is for naught.

"They say" that there are indicators that a doe is likely to be receptive. If you look at her vulva and try her when it is reddish-purple or at least dark pink she is likely to be more cooperative about breeding than if it is pale. I've also heard that warm ears on the doe are a good indicator. Never done any of this, mind you. I've been lucky with my rabbits so far.

12. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to find that out. There's another rabbitry on the island who got their cremes from the same rabbitry I did. And their doe didn't catch either. I'm pretty sure my does aren't fat. My son's pet rabbit (mini-rex) did get fat so I'm aware of what to look for. We did manage to slim her down and now she's fine.

I've got to say, Rabbitgal, you and all the others' information, support and advice is really helping in many ways, especially not to get discouraged. A sincere thanks for all the help.

PS How did you get your picture of Tulip so small? I posted one of Freyja in the false pregnancy threat and it turned out humungous!

13. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

I can't help you with finding Cremes where you live, beiing waaaaay far from you. They are great rabbits, very curious and bright. Their fur is creamy orange-silver but when you run your hand backwards on it, the underneath fur is very orange. Personality-wise I think they'd make a good pet. I do find, though, my Palomino is much more laid back, but it could be she's a little more mature, too.

14. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

I do watch. Gemini fell off both times, grunting. But my daughter noticed that with Freyja when he fell off, her rear sort of went with him a bit. That didn't happen with Thyme. Quite honestly, I couldn't see if they lift their tail, he gets on so fast. I'll try to watch for that.

I did try him with Sunfire (Palomino) today. She ran over to his cage on her playtime and showed him her bum so I thought, "Oh well, let's see." After a little fun and games, he did mount and I did see her hind legs sort of rise up to lift her rear (why do I feel like a pervert discribing this :shrug: ...I hope I'm not offending anybody here, just trying to learn). He did fall off and was more vocal...seems to be getting more dramatic with each breeding.

I think what I'll do is go see her and check her vent, see if it is a deeper colour than usual. At least I'll have a reference for next time, may-be.

I never heard about the ear temperature, MaggieJ, thanks for mentioning that.

15. MaggieJ

I read about the ear temperature in one of the rabbit books - either Bennet's or Kanable's. No idea how reliable it is.

It sounds to me as though with Thyme, she was uncoopertive and likely blocked her vent by snugging down her tail. Your description of his mating with Freyja sounds much more promising and with Sunfire even more so. I'll betcha there are buns in their little ovens. (Don't feel like a pervert talking about breeding activities. How else are we supposed to learn about these things?)

16. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

Beautimous rabbit! Kudos on posting the pic, too. Sometimes those little victories over the computer can be quite rewarding :)

17. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

farmer brad, the ARBA national show and convention (http://www.scootyourboots.com/index.htm) is in Fort Worth October 29 - November 2. Now if you want to get a GOOD Creme d'Argent rabbit, I can't think of a better show to attend. It's the biggest, most important show of the year: there's probably going to be about 15,000 - 20,000 rabbits entered, about 68 of which will be Cremes.

It's probably too late to buy a rabbit there, but they do have raffles and auctions and I'm sure there will be Cremes available for that. Even if you can't actually buy a rabbit there, it would be a wonderful learning experience for your daughter and I'm sure you could meet a breeder from your local area.

18. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

P.S. I'm just a bit excited about convention...I have two entered this year (first time), so I'm eager to see how they do...the only bad thing is that I won't be able to watch, because they're going with a friend.

sorry for the thread drift!

19. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Hilda, pics: I used imageshack.us, and when you upload pics, there's an option you can select to make the pics smaller for the web. Now, I do have photo editing software, but I was in a hurry that time...

If you have Paint or one of the other basic drawing programs, you can also resize your pictures.

1. Start Paint, click on the "File" menu, click "Open"
    2. Smaller window pops up, you then need to find your picture and open it.
    3. Once your picture is opened in Paint, click on the "Image" menu (same toolbar as the "File" menu) then click "Stretch/Skew".
    4. A smaller window will pop up...the top part of the window has a section for "Stretch". Under "horizontal", type in 50% or however smaller you want your picture. Type the same percentage number into the "vertical" box or your picture will be all out of proportion.

5. Now, if that's the size you want your picture, just click on "File" again and save your picture and you're done!

20. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

I've found that my does are most receptive when their vulvas are dark pink to purplish. If they're in the mood, they sort of squat down and raise their hips and tail for the buck. (Ever seen cats mate? It's similar.)

If she's not receptive, I'd try taking her to the buck every other day for a week and see if she's interested. You can also try swapping the rabbits in each other's cages over night and seeing if that helps.

Do you have another buck you can try with her?