Physician-assisted suicide

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by cast iron, Jan 10, 2007.

1. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

What do people think about this as a viable end-of-life option for those whose quality of life has deteriorated due to progressive chronic and terminal disease, etc?

I thought I heard somewhere that OR had such a law which was fairly recently put in place?

In WA we have a former Governor who has been pushing for just such a law.

What are your views on this subject?

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Physician-assisted suicide.....is a good thing....IMO

3. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

If I had a terminal disease and were living my last months in chrinic pain I think it should be my option to terminate my life. Sure the whole concept has huge moral and social implications, but wouldn't it be better to have a physician assist than a .44?

4. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I think this happens a lot more than people realize, with or without the laws, already. Take terminal cancer - the medications for pain are gradually increased to 'keep the patient comfortable'. In my own personal experience, and I've seen this myself more than once, the patient goes to sleep.

Peaceful death, versus screaming in agony - what would you choose? Death is neither avoidable, nor this horrible thing to put off as long as possible. The amount of medication necessary to relieve pain gradually is high enough to cause death.

My grandparents had a 'suicide pack' that offended their children terribly when they heard about it. In reality, it was merely that neither would allow the other to suffer unduly in a terminal situation.

I think it should remain a personal choice. Let those who are afraid of death, or feel it is God's choice, put it off and choose to die in agony. I don't think they should choose for everyone, though. Easing an already dying person's pain is not murder. IMO

Niki

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Agreeing with the above.

6. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

It's been the law in Oregon for quite awhile now, but has not been widely used.

http://oregon.gov/DHS/ph/pas/index.shtml

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with the above statements. When my Daddy was dying an agonizing death from colon cancer my mom and sister did not want him to have liquid morphine. They insisted it would "kill him". EXCUSE ME??? Colon cancer was killing him in a slow, horrible painful way that robbed him of any shred of dignity. His last day of consciousness was a nightmare I will never be able to forget. When that prescription for liquid morphine was called in I went and picked it up and I gave it to him every four hours as needed 24/7. Daddy was able to slip away peacefully. Do I feel like I killed my Daddy as my mother and sister insinuated? Absolutely not. I helped my Daddy when he needed me most.

If I am ever in the same position please, somebody, place that drop of morphine under my tongue every time you see me start to moan and squirm in pain.

8. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I agree with the above. It is OURSELVES and OUR LIVES that we are talking about...we should be able to say when it is time to call it quits.

9. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

I do think that should be a person's own choice.

The only reason I am concerned about it being a law is that laws have a way of being used and misused by self-serving people in power. It is one of those 'slippery slopes' everyone talks about.

It is my fervent hope, however, that I don't find myself in a condition that I can't do it for myself.

10. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

I will probably get flamed for this but here it goes.

Thou shalt not kill.

I believe this goes for suicide as well.

I believe EVERY option should be given to a sick person to make their exit from this world as comfortable as possible, but I do not believe in this. God put them on this Earth and it should be him who takes them home too.

Katrina

11. Gercarson

Gercarson Well-Known Member Supporter

Physician assisted sucide is, or will be a "final" solution to a lot of ills (double entendre) that plague society. I am afraid that many people will lose the option of sucide - it will become a mandate that if you meet these three requierments (name three - age, health, wealth) you must be "assisted" with terminating your life. You will not have a choice. Wouldn't it be better to cremate someone rather than pay them welfare for years? I'm not saying that physician assisted sucide doesn't happen, or that it is a blessing for many - I'm saying that if there is ever a law on the books that ok's it - watch out for yourself lest you fall into an erasure category. Do not deprive a dying person of any comfort - do not withhold - just make sure that it is not a legal option to help someone commit sucide.

12. Skye

Skye Well-Known Member

It may begin as a "personal choice" but as soon a big insurance companies get it passed in legislation you can be sure they will find ways to "sway" your choice. Why would this need to be passed in a law? Aren't most people intelligent enough in terminal situations to slowly over-dose on morphine? As for me, I hope my Maker is the only one to end my days. I am a little weird though, I believe there may be something to be learned through suffering. Either by me or others around me.

13. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I agree with this post.

I also agree with this. While I hope to pass quickly from this life to the next, it is not up to me to decide when it is my time to go. My sister died of cancer. They did give her liquid morphine at the end to help with pain. Whether that was what killed her, I don't know. I see nothing wrong with relieving pain with drugs, but I do not agree with over dosing on drugs to end a life.

14. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

When my mother was dying of breast cancer the doctor offered meds to "keep her under" and free from pain...not in increasing amouns with the intent to "do her in".

Mom's tumor was about the size of a football and was enroaching on her heart. The mode of death would be that the tumor, after pushing against her heart would finally grow enough that it would push on the arteries and basically, rip one (or more) from her heart and she would bleed to death.

Graphic? Yeah, but cancer is not a mundane death. Mom felt that the medication would allow her death with dignity, which it did. A person's final moments should not be spent in pain and terror.

Mon

15. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Gercarson, yes indeedy.

Do you remember the episode on the
    'Dinosaur' sitcom years ago - about 'Hurling Day'?

Yes, I do believe that suicide is killing, but should I choose that path, I will be ready to try to make the case with the Good Lord about why I did what I did. I am not sure I could make that case if I asked someone else to do it for me. That's what bothers me.

Other than the fact that laws are misused, I do think it is an individual choice. I worry about laws in the hands of people in power.

16. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Just want to clear something up. I did not give my Daddy liquid morphine in "increasing amounts with the intent to "do [him] in"." I gave him what was prescribed, something my mother and sister would not do. It would have been inhumane not to have done that for my Daddy.

17. diane

diane Well-Known Member

With proper pain control for terminal patients, I see absolutely no need for suicide, assisted or otherwise. My personal faith tells me that killing is wrong, either my own or others.

My husband died in September of cancer. He died at home, under the care of myself assisted by hospice and my church. The last week he had a morphine IV drip on a pump that he or his attendents could push a button to give a little more than the steady drip if his pain wasn't being relieved or was more intense because he was moving. I had no problem pushing the button every time that the timer would allow me too in that last 24 hours. If he was awake he was in agony so I kept him asleep. I hope under similar circumstances someone would do it for me. I don't consider that assisted suicide but pain management.

I do resist the idea of a law allowing assisted suicide because I fear that it would soon not be so "optional". Under Medicare now already once you sign up for Hospice care, all other options are pay it yourself. In fact, they tryed to deny payment for the chest x-ray that was done to be sure that the subclavian line for the pain meds was in the right place.

18. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Ravenlost, I hope I didn't say anything that implied you did? I didn't, did I?

If I did, my sincerest apologies. I wouldn't do that for anything.

19. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

Yes, I believe a person should have the right to end their own life, esp someone with a terminal illness. I have a DNR order and written permission for the person of my choosing to end my life for me should I reach that state. I have had cancer once and am *highly* likely to again. It's generally a fairly minor thing as far as this sort of thing goes, but if it did show up somewhere hard to remove this could well become an issue for me someday.

20. mrs.H

mrs.H Romans 8:28

I think we should go when God calls us home. I also agree with "I hope my Maker is the only one to end my days. I am a little weird though, I believe there may be something to be learned through suffering. Either by me or others around me. " That is the simple part.

The complicated part is that God gave us all free will. Not just you or me and other Christians, but everyone. And people who we don't even know exist right now can affect our last days or a loved ones last days. If there wasn't so much money involved with keeping aperson alive past a point of no return, I might think that people where saved for reasons that were just and good and loving and kind.

I have trouble making my points sometimes! I think God did call a lot of people home, and modern medicine didn't let them go. And after that now a person has a huge moral mess concerning unpluging, or over medicating or otherwise passing on home, someone whom they love.

Free will is a big and complicated thing. I'm just a simple woman and try not to question God, but were man is involved so is corruption. IMO