Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been slender but not really in good shape if that makes sense. This last month I joined a local gym, as long as I go at least 12 times per month it is only 10$/month and it's 24 hr access. It's been so awesome, it's a great motivator to go, and I've been doing a program in an app I found for my iPhone called C25K which stands for couch to 5k. Love that it starts off really easy and builds up gradually and I love the fact I can do it on the elliptical which makes it low impact. I'm running further and longer in just the last 4 weeks and I feel myself getting more fit overall than I have been in several years. Highly highly recommend it for anybody starting to get in shape. I am going to finish the whole program and I am really looking forward to being able to go run a 5k this fall or next spring.

BUT I also want to start getting stronger and more flexible, which this doesn't really cover at all. Does anybody have a program or app that covers strength and flexibility training?
A little background; I'm a 26 year old woman, I've never really worked out before I started this, never lifted weights or ran, but I have been fairly active, ride horses haul hay go hiking etc. I'm looking for something that starts off really light an builds up slowly enough that I'm not going to hurt myself starting off. I like having a scripted program to follow and I like the reward I get with the program I've been doing. Currently I go run with the c25k app 3-4 times a week about 30 mins so I'm trying to find something I can incorporate into my routine on the other 2 days a week. I don't want to "bulk up" just be stronger so that I can do the things I love to do easier.
So, any ideas or suggestions?

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
Try to figure out which sorts of weight training and cardiovascular workouts you enjoy.

If you hate the workouts, chances are you won't stick with them.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Look into rowing for a good overall fitness workout. I have a concept 2 rower at my house which I use about 5 evenings a week. You use several muscle groups so you burn calories faster then just a treadmill and you tone up quickly.

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
Look into rowing for a good overall fitness workout. I have a concept 2 rower at my house which I use about 5 evenings a week. You use several muscle groups so you burn calories faster then just a treadmill and you tone up quickly.

I have a friend who is over 70 and still runs competitively. Since he bought the concept 2 he rows a lot and found that he maintained his overall fitness without all of the running.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
It would be worth meeting an instructor at the gym to go over a good stretching/warm up routine and stick with it. You may get one free with your new membership but it's worth it even if you have to pay extra

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
BUT I also want to start getting stronger and more flexible, which this doesn't really cover at all.
What about yoga for flexibility? I have a couple tapes I intend to use. The instructors on those tapes can dang near tie themselves in knots. Yoga also stresses proper breathing so it might help you towards your 5K goal.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the ideas! Some great suggestions, and I am pretty sure the gym offers some different classes as well that I will look into.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts