Photos of Oinky and Her Clan

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Tango, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

These were taken this afternoon.
    I think she likes it here :)
    [​IMG]

Hanging out after cooling off.
    [​IMG]

Two of the clanmates wandering.
    [​IMG]

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

3. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

great photos ,i love them .

makes me want hogs even more

im looking for some Large Blacks

4. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

AWWWW!!!!! I have a feeling you and Oinky are going to be together a long time! Love your property too, it's just what I had envisioned for myself.

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks Bob and Firefly :) Firefly I hope Oinky sticks around for a long time too. She was meant to be a rooter tiller only and then off to slaughter and one thing has led to the other. Not the least of which is that I've returned to being a vegetarian after 5 years of homestead butchering.

6. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

ROFL!! I love love love meat, but if anything makes me a vegetarian it will be eating my babies! (Especially sweet "little" Puerco. Sniff.)

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Tango, are you going to castrate the males?

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Agmantoo, if they are not sold by 6 weeks then I will have to do it here. Have never done it but it would be necessary, given that castration is common practice in this area. I'm curious as to Ronney's experience leaving them in tact though. These are my first domestic piglets and I don't know. They are now at the maximum size that I would allow a male wild piglet, after this weight, the pork would start to smell when cooked. That would be a disadvantage since I am selling them to homesteads who will most likely raise to butcher.

9. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

My pigman cuts his boys at 2weeks....most at 2 weeks have deposits on them :shrug:

10. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

This litter was sold at birth- the entire litter. The man had initially expressed interest in multiples but never specified how many. I sold or arranged to trade five others and thought most of them sold. Then the first man expressed interest in all of them, I cancelled the other two people and then he disappeared from corrrespondence. :shrug: :rolleyes: Now I think I have two sold. Starting all over again... :rolleyes:

11. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Great photos, I love the first one of Oinky in the stream.

Niki

12. HeatherDriskill

HeatherDriskill Well-Known Member

Castrating hogs is pretty easy if you have another set of hands (or two) to help. My ag class used to take a day and go around to all the farms and do all the show pigs.

13. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

Glad we reached you today! Husband and the gang of 3 (our human children) will arrive by 10:00 ish Friday to pick up a black and a white. We are excited, planning to add another 2 to the group...wow, in one year we have gone from to parents, three kids and three dogs to the same PLUS 18 chickens, 1 rooster, 2 goats then to 7 goats then to 5 goats and now two pigs--wow I love living in the country.

Sorry I won't be there Friday but I have a company training session I am conducting that I cannot miss--but I will raise those pigs up to be good honest pigs! The (human) kids are excited, too!

Vanessa

14. littledoe

littledoe Well-Known Member

Very cute pigs!

Just thought I'd pass this along to you. My grandfather trapped wild hogs and kept a few sows behind the house. If you don't cut the males, you won't be able to use them for meat. You can read on another post where one guy said he tried cooking boar meat every way he knew and he still couldn't eat it. Take his word...it's bad stuff. :p

I've been thinking about getting a few myself. Pigs are great :)

15. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Before I logged off last night I meant to congratulate you on Oinky and her litter - lovely, healthy looking piglets. Well done.

If castration is the norm in your area, that's what your going to have to do otherwise you will never get them sold - you can't change the mind set of people who are quite convinced that's the way it should be. For future reference though, the next time round do your castration when they are about 3 days old - easier to handle and not so traumatic on the piglet. I have a litter of 5 boars that will be killed over the next week (before they destroy anymore of the farm). None are castrated and all have been sold. I wish I could invite you to dinner and serve you pork because I know you wouldn't be able to tell me what sex it was.

I had a giggle at your selling of them because I used to go down that track too. Save piglets for people, then tell others they were all sold. People wouldn't turn up to collect them and I would be left with piglets. Now it's first in, first served and if people want the whole litter, so much the better. We live and learn.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

16. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I just posted about this earlier in this thread. I've mostly raised wild pigs and would never leave them in tact for meat. The stench is awful but that doesn't appear to be the case for domestics butchered before sexual maturity. At least not all domestics. Read Ronney's posy after yours.

17. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks Ronnie. I no longer eat meat so I'll just take your word for it. I know others have said similar for their fomestic pork. My family raised pigs in Cuba andI don't know the particulars but an intact male that was butchered was known by a particular name "berraco," alluding to its stench. Still today if something smells awful they will say it smells like "berraco." May have been older sexually mature males for all I know. Most were castrated so it may have been the breeding boars and they would go to dog food. I know I should have cut them myself but I didn't trust Oinky at the time and I don't trust myself either.

18. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I'm back online with a small 400 watt inverter that is kept in the truck for emergencies. The house inverter has seen its day methinks :( I was looking forward to meeting you but maybe some other day. It is very good to know that two of Oinky's sons will be going to such a fine home. Thank you .

19. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Wonderful photos...what a lovely looking home for them. I wish my blacks' had a stream to lie in...would save me hauling water!

20. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I've hauled my share of water so I sympathize. There are many areas where the hoses don't reach on this place and for various reasons I've had to corral or pen the cows, horses, goats, and the sow at various times where there was no way to give them water other than to haul it from the creek or throw the bucket into an old well down at the pasture and tote the water to the pen.