Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
I'm the weirdo in this group who has no problem bucking the flow. Keep that in mind and recognize that I mean no harm but will express myself.

Camo, the new required business suit in the country.

Although it looks like a nice family, with everyone dressed in the newish camo it comes off to me much more as "statement" clothing (which can be donned by any wanna-be city slicker who doesn't know how to milk a bull) than what I would consider authentic. If there was an individual or two in the group wearing a wool or flannel shirt with some wear, a barn coat or some other idiosyncratic clothing, it would make me a lot more comfortable. Being someone who highly values individuality, when a group or family all don the same apparel I quickly get weirded out and start thinking of Stepford Wives and Brown Shirts and cults. It isn't just camo, I recently saw a campaign photo of a family with forced smiles and every female with the same type of bow in her hair that made me want to rush to the polls and vote against that candidate.

As I said at the beginning, I'm weird about this. If you like the warm fuzzies of being in a camo social group, fine.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
I'm the weirdo in this group who has no problem bucking the flow. Keep that in mind and recognize that I mean no harm but will express myself.

Although it looks like a nice family, with everyone dressed in the newish camo it comes off to me much more as "statement" clothing (which can be donned by any wanna-be city slicker who doesn't know how to milk a bull) than what I would consider authentic. If there was an individual or two in the group wearing a wool or flannel shirt with some wear, a barn coat or some other idiosyncratic clothing, it would make me a lot more comfortable. Being someone who highly values individuality, when a group or family all don the same apparel I quickly get weirded out and start thinking of Stepford Wives and Brown Shirts and cults. It isn't just camo, I recently saw a campaign photo of a family with forced smiles and every female with the same type of bow in her hair that made me want to rush to the polls and vote against that candidate.

As I said at the beginning, I'm weird about this. If you like the warm fuzzies of being in a camo social group, fine.

Maybe that was the "before hunting" picture??

·
free leonard peltier
2,315 Posts
What a gorgeous family, and I love that dawg. I want it.

Reactions: kycountry

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I've actually tried replying to this multiple times... first 2 while cussing a little, 3rd time feeling pity with a chuckle.. So I'll try a 4th time to make it informative without passing judgement......

Camo is indeed my business suit. Ending about 30 minutes before these photos were taken, 11 squirrels got to see the business end of those old rusty guns in the photos... Treed by that old red dog that not only can pose pretty good for a picture, but also knows how to earn his keep.. Those "fake" smiles could be caused by knowing we're having squirrel, biscuit, and gravy in the morning too. But I can't say for sure..

As far as wool goes, it's great for keeping you warm and dry, But as it wicks sweat away it also releases massive amounts of human scent into the air. In my opinion, that makes it useless in a hunting environment.

If I was really trying to make a "statement", I wouldn't filtered the pics as hard as I did. Nor would I removed the pistol and knife from my belt but that's another story all together.

I've been called a lot of things, but a wanna-be city slicker is diffidently a new one to me. Ever since my white little butt came out into this cold world I've been climbing these hills and hollers chasing critters.. I cut my teeth on gunpowder and bullets. The little riffle my wife is holding in the first picture was my Christmas present when I was 7.

As far as being a "cult", were not too bad as long as you don't mess with my woman, my kids, or my dogs...

I'll throw out an invite to anyone that wants to pack a bag and follow in my foot steps but I'll warn you it better be lite.... You can milk the bull while your here, but I'm not holding the bucket.. I'll stick to the cows...

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Nice looking family and critters! Yum, squirrel, that is good pan fried in a cast iron skillet.

Now as to pink camo. I kind of like it! My mother was always trying to put me in pink, I used to hate it. Blue, whether on jeans, t-shirt or on a gun barrell was more my style.....and they say deer are colorblind so the pink means I guess one can be a bit girlie. :D

Those photos captured some moments of what looks like a lovely family on a beautiful day.

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
kycountry, glad your first two responses got lost. :D You read too much in and take it much more personally than I ever intended. I distrust regimentation of any sort (based on personal history), as there is an implication that one person is doing a lot of thinking for an entire group or holding enough influence that individuality isn't high on the agenda.

Yes, I have had to wear business suits and company supplied apparel, and the minute I could doff them I did. If you ever had to work in the initial era of polyester uniforms, you might be as averse to them as I.

I noted that it is a PERSONAL response. Others likely don't hold it, nor if they do are they brash enough to say anything. I do, in part because I still can.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts