Photo of the Red Potbelly X

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Tango, May 20, 2004.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I knocked down a wall to their pen and let them out into an enclosed area to clear a garden for me. This girl is due to farrow June 29 and she's for sale. In gestation $150 cash firm or upon weaning of piglets $100 cash firm. The sire is a razorback boar and the piglets will be positively gourmet. :) She has 14 teats and I'm execting a bigger litter than my wild mixed sows farrowed. Judging from her current size I would say at least 8. [​IMG]

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

thats an odd color ror a potbellyX isn't it?

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I don't know James. I'm not too well read on potbelly pigs. Her breeder had a bunch of potbelly- looking pigs when I was there (all mixed with razorbacks) and out of all the pigs I have this one is prone to obesity and is one of the lower ranking pigs. Her exact bloodline is a mystery to me.

4. james dilley

looks like maybe a touch of duroc or red berkshire in the line somewhere from the photo . the white blaze is a unique point though

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Most of the wild pigs in Florida have domestic blood in them somewhere along the line, some have more than others. The duroc/burk influence could be from the wild part. I had a brother to her and he was all gray except for a white blaze and white socks like she has. The rest of her littermates were spotted. What throws me is her compact size and how she carries fat in her jowl. She has less to eat, bbecause of her low ranking but is fat while the others aren't. She also has way more teats than a predominantly razorback sow- from what I've seen personally 10 is the average number of teats and 6 is the average litter size. We'll have to wait to compare that...

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Back in the Fifties there was a registered breed called Herford that looked exactly like her. I don't have any idea if there are any of these left anymore.

7. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

red isn't a normal color for potbellies, but then she's a cross. I've found a tendency that crosses tend to be more able to fend for themselves. Is she normally pastured? and still tends toward obesity?

8. james dilley

come to think about it i had a hereford hog once a boar about 15 yrs ago so they are still around just not a popular breed. shr does look like one at that

9. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

No, they aren't pastured normally. I give them grass and hay but they are fed a ration I mix- since they been pregant and several are lactating they get fed twice a day about 3 cups each time per bowl. She gets bumped from bowl to bowl and gets less but she is still the fatter one among the sows. When I butchered her brother last year, he was the same,. Low man on the totem pole but still a lot of fat deposits. Roasted up nice though :)

10. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I looked up a picture of that breed and it looks a lot like her. The description fits her perfectly except she's half the size of one. Maybe we have a miniature Hereford renaissance here? :)