Phone company woes e.c.t. I feel ILL

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jnap31, May 29, 2006.

1. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Before the army took me away I stopped long distance service from my home with alltel as they charged 10 cents a min and up to that point we mostly used phone cards for longdistance anyway to save $ unless we were in a hurry. :grump: Well now we have been using a phone card I found online for 2 cents a min and I made it clear I wanted only the basic phone service from alltel before I left. For two months my bill that had always been $25 was 40 plus, I did not catch it till the second month as I dont follow my healthy finances that closely and i have faith that the army will pay me when they say they will and everything will be fine... well I called and it turned out my adopted daughter was calling her friends on 3 way calling and they were charging me 1$ each time GRRRR They said they could put a block on it and I said do so at once.Also I told my wife and she talked to our daughter and told her to cease and desist, well last month all was well but now just checked my acct and see that altel took $49 and 90 cents from me may 26th AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I am to ticked off to think clearly. :flame: That is it I am either going to get my $ back this time or NO more phone EVER as long as alltel is the only option. Alltel is the only option where I live now.Another thing, I have been calling my wife and kids everyday for 30 min to talk and now yesterday the MWR says they have a new policy to save $ only two calls 15 min each a week! (dont know how it saves as it was a DSN connection to the states they pay for anyway I think and then I used a phonecard from there) Most folks have computers and just talk/call over the computers, I dont have that option DW does not know the first thing about computers, And I dont know much more myself nor do I have one even here. I have always used the schools or librarys. Also when I wanted to put a fence up along one portion of the road that borders my place, I called alltel last year to try to get them to come out and mark the lines like the signs said so I dont dig them up. Well she was nasty to me and said It was not their job to mark them why did I need a fence there e.c.t. I could not believe it. I was polite and just talked with a new person the next day and they marked them for me so I could build the fence which I later had to tear down after digging 30 post holes putting in 30 posts and putting up barbed wire as the highway department told me I was 3 inches to close to the road. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH. The news paper that I put on hold for while I am away as my wife does not read it and speaks english as a second language keeps calling finally my wife explained as always that I was deployed and would resume when I get home well she said the woman said no no no no no he still has $4 in his acct we need to start you up again blah blah well they did and they charged my acct. Bastards I will never read their paper again. I called them and they stopped it and refunded my $. Sorry all this crap is starting to run together in my head I need to get out for some fresh air.Hard enough being here with out people screwing with me and not doing their jobs. maybe teh pastor will let me call my wife at church or something once a week the logistics of that will be hard to work out guess we will be just writing a lot of letters now. I cant believe this. :shrug:

2. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Aint modern life with all the conveniences grand? I have Alltel too but the other two phone companies in the area, Southwestern Bell (no its SBC, no its now ATT) and CenturyTel arent any better. I know folks with horror stories of those companies also. Anyway good ole Alltel insisted I have a long distance company of record and onesuite.com prepay doesnt count and I am not allowed to just opt out of having long distance. Apparently most long distance services charge a monthly fee even if you dont make any calls. Took me a bit to find some acceptable online place that didnt charge monthly fee if I didnt make any long distance calls. I was always afraid some idiot neighbor wanting to use my phone would forget or try to sneak long distance call when borrowing my phone as I believe the little company I listed as my long distance carrier is now out of buisiness and who knows whatever company ended up servicing the call would charge.

By way onesuite.com and such have their downside also. They are cheap and no extra account maintenence fees or whatever to eat up minutes, BUT they require purchase of minimum of $10. Well unless you buy more minutes after 6 months your account is suspended until you buy more minutes. I know it sounds odd, but some 6 month periods I simply dont make any long distance calls. Couple months ago I had like $12 left but account suspended. I didnt want $22 worth of minutes and emailed them asking them to give me another 6 months to use up my minutes. They gave me 3 extra months and scolded me that next time I have to buy more minutes to get my account active again. Its rough on us folk that dont spend much money.

And I feel for somebody like you, halfway across the world, trying to take care of all the BS these greedy companies throw up. By way when the newpaper salesmen call, I just tell them in my best hillbilly accent that I dont know how to read. That usually throws them for a loop. Have yet to have one tell me I could look at the pictures.... but the day is probably coming.

3. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

When the L.A. Times would call me I asked em why they suport illegal immigration.They would say they dont. :nono:

Then I would say,so you dont publish LaOpinion,the spanish paper? :rolleyes: Then I would go off on a big old rant about illegals,blah blah blah. :grump: :hobbyhors

They FINALLY stopped calling,LOL! :dance:

BooBoo :p

4. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

I go to Dollar General and get the phone card there....750 minutes for $25.00. Works great for me.

5. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Wow, this all sounds very annoying.

My boss' daughter is using Vonage to keep in touch with her overseas husband. I don't know your situation or if it would work, but it might be worth researching on line?

Unless your place is like mine and NOTHING works out there, lol, price we pay for living in the middle of nowhere, I guess.

Good luck,
    hollym

6. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Is vonage the computer to telephone connection? I suppose I could do something like that with the MWR computers as they dont have a time limit on those as long as no one is waiting. Still I am going to call alltel soon and try to get my $ back if they dont get it back I may have to cancel my phone on the principle of the matter. Perhaps their is another explanation for the charge but I cant imagine what as I pay for the basic service and it is all taken electronically.

7. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Jnap,

"Customer service" has become an oxymoron. Or rather.. it's more like taking one's cow to be "serviced" by a bull.

Hang in there.

Hip_Shot_Hannah

8. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I don't know much about it, except that boss installed it when his daughter moved home for the year that her husband was stationed in Korea.

I can ask him how it works if you like? Otherwise:

www.vonage.com

Hope you find something workable. I know it makes a huge difference in the spirits of both the person away and the people back home.

hollym

9. hedgeapple

hedgeapple Well-Known Member

gee, jnap, when i read your posts you always seem so relaxed and laid back, i hate to hear you are having problems, especially not being able to call home very often. all i can really say other than i hope things work out for you, is when this kind of stuff seems to be the norm (i have gotten so that i just expect any dealings with a big company to have problems, that it ain't gonna go smooth) why do so many people wonder why so many of us are seeking a get away from it all simpler, more down to earth lifestyle.

10. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Thanks hollym hopefully enough folks will complain that they will reinstate the old policy. I will let you know how it turns out with the Alltel company, I should go call now, I just hate wasting my time navagating the machine only to be put on hold for 10 min.

11. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

Jnap, Think "December, December" over and over. You'll be home. Things like this won't happen.

During my last year before discharge I always knew the number of days left. For the last month I could quickly calculate the number of hours to ETS. Finally freedom arrived with a DD-214.

Hang in there.

12. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Jnap,, since you obviously have access to a computer, have you considered skype?

We use lingo as a cable modem phone andhave had no problems.

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble.

Nikki

13. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I have never heard of that.(skype) Thanks That or similar will be it! all I have to do is figure out how to use the free computer here at the MWR to call home on, I will have to buy some head phones and maybe pay for the service after I decide/find one and that is it. I am still assuming that the phone compant is going to be apologetic and refund my $ if they made a mistake which I am ceartain they did have to go I have a memorail day 2hour mandatory service to go toon my day off and I have not eaten supper 40 min to go I probably will not be online again till tomorrow afternoon.

14. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

LOL so true I remember the first time i was in the army I had a calander and I crossed off every day till ETS I was singing loudly graet songs of joy as I took my dd214 from the building and crossed the road to where ever I was headed. Freedom is taken for granted often times until you sign your life away to the army. Guess i need to make another calender.

15. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

I have Vonage. Overall I'm saving about $30 a month, but haven't seen that actual amount yet because of all the equipment I had to buy. First, I had dial up so I had to go to DSL(Router). Then, when you go to Vonage you pay for the box(Best Buy). There are rebates so that made it more bearable. It was an expensive set up but for an extra $5 I could get a local phone # anywhere, so we don't pay long distance to talk to family. We have an aunt that lives in NY and she pays for a local phone #. (We're in IN) The BIG problem would be, if you can't get DSL where you are, or for power outages, if you're on the grid. When the electric is out you're out a phone.

16. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

jnap,

skype is a VoIP service that a lot of people use to talk for free. I know a bunch of the husbands army buddies use it to keep in touch with one another all over the world.

Send me your email addy, and I'll send you an invite to join.

Nikki

17. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Well-Known Member

Murphy's Law for the Military Spouse: If it can go wrong, it will but only when DH is away on assignment. The last time DH deployed, three days before deployment I had a retinal detachment requiring emergency surgery. Two days after he deployed, our little girls flushed my military ID and driver's license down the toilet. For four months his pay was shorted just over a thousand. Then our house was broken into.

You have my empathy.

18. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that you're having problems jnap. I hope things eventually work out.

As always..I firmly believe you will be so much happier when you arrive home. Its almost June already..seems the year just started..and before we know it..summer will be over and winter will be bearing down upon us..high heating bills..blowing snow..c-c-cold (brrrrr)..and of course..DECEMBER!!!!!

CN is right..Dec will be here soon. Hang in there! :)

19. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I have not used it;

But Vonage & a few other less-known services use a high-speed internet connection to make long-distance phone calls - as well as local.

The trick is you need the DSL on your local phone line; or high-speed on a cable connection; or a wireless high-speed connection (the grill-sized antennea on the roof). Do you have any of that available at your house?????

If so, Vonage (etc) only takes a one-time install, and really doesn't need a computer exactly any more - they have dedicated units and you can hook up any telephone handset to it. Would not take any computer knowledge by your wife, after intitall install. There is some issue with 911 not being able to locate you over this type of connection......

So, _if_ you can get some type of resionable high-speed internet connection at your house, Vonage is generally a $25 flat fee for all long distance and pretty user-friendly.

_As I understand it._ :)

--->Paul

20. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Thanks for the encouragement Qwispea. :) Your right I am sure it will feel like time will fly now that I am on the down hill part now.