Phone Call!!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Junkman, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Junkman

Junkman Junkman

Last night, at 2:00 AM the phone rang. Well, I stumbled to the phone trying to think what was wrong now. When I said hello, a woman said, "Why are you calling me at 2:00 AM in the morning?" It was obvious she had had one too many to drink. I said, "Honey, you called me!" She said, "Oh!" I then suggested she go to bed and she agreed! Why is it when the phone rings at night we automatically think the worst?

2. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

I HATE it when the phone rings at night. I alway think something is wrong.

3. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

Same here, I always hold my breath at such calls...think about it--overall, how often has a late-night/wee-early-morning phone call been a GOOD thing?!?

~~

4. CowboyBunny

CowboyBunny Well-Known Member

Just a few weeks ago the phone woke us up when it rang just before midnight, when my DH checked the caller ID he did not know the person/number calling so assumed it was a wrong number and didn't answer. The guy left a message for us and it turned out he was calling regarding an ad we had placed in the local classified paper for a lawn tractor. Huh? It was midnight!! My DH was kind enough to return his call just before 7:00 a.m. the next morning, the guys wife woke him up to give him the phone and boy was the guy groggy. When the guy did come to look at the tractor he was in his 60's, I would have thought someone that age would have had better phone manners. :nono:
    My DH gets quite a few drunk and tipsy people who dial wrong and call his cell phone in the middle of the night too but that at least is usually turned off so it doesn't wake us up, he just gets funny messages.
    Phone etiquette should be a class taught in high school!

Tami - Heritage Corner Poultry

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

i hate those middle of the night callls!! :flame: :flame: :flame: mostly because my wife has too haul outa bed as the local towns water system will have a glich that requires her touch! :cool: did have one lady call at 2 am wanting too talk about boarding her dawg, told her we opened at 8. she argued with me that i had answered the phone i should answer her questions! :flame: :flame: :flame: our number is close too the library and post office so get lots of wrong calls, least it's not the fire station!

6. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

The most interesting midnight call I ever got was some years back. My husband was deployed, I was sick as a dog, both the kids were sick, and I was miserably trying to sleep propped up on the sofa when the phone rang at about 1:00 am. I crawled across the room to answer it. When I said "Hello", the man on the other end erupted into a tirade..."Where's my money! I know you took it and I want it back!" After a minute or two, when he paused for breath, I said, "Who IS this?". That started him off again..."You know ____ well who this is, so don't think you're going to get out if it like that....."

At least this gave thick-headed me time to think. So, when he paused for breath again, I said, "Okay, who am I?"

Silence.

Then, a tentative voice came over the line..."Sarah?"

"Nope, no Sarah here", says I.

The profuse apology took almost as long as the rant.

7. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

I hate middle of the night phone calls too! They scare the snot out of me! My heart will pound and I will be shaking by the time I get the phone to my ear. I did have a funny one once. Back about 10 years ago a man called in the middle of the night and John answerd the phone. The man said "Did you know that your wife and I have been fooling around?" John just held the phone out and looked at it and said back "Nuh uh!" and the guy asked, "How do you know we haven't been fooling around?" John replied "Because I know my wife... buddy you have got the wrong number!" and he hung up! We had lots of good laughs over that one over the years!
    God bless you and yours
    Debbie

8. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Had a funny incident at the nursing home...resident put on her light(she was all of 90) and said this person on the phone wants me to come bail him out of jail!!!
    What I hate is getting text messages on my phone from wrong numbers...try again. DEE

9. Buffy in Dallas

Buffy in Dallas Well-Known Member Supporter

At least when the phone rings in the middle of the night you kind of expect bad news. Worst call I ever got was during dinner. Answered the phone thinking it was my hubby. It was Parkland Hospital saying my husband was in an accident and was in the Trauma Unit and to come up to the hospital. No, they cant tell me how he is. Just come. Had to pack up 5 small kids, drive to moms 20min away, drop off kids, drive 30 min to the hospital. All the while wondering if I was a widow. Got there to find he was ok, just scratches and a wrenched back. And they couldn't tell me that on the phone! :flame:

10. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

Thats crazy, if he was ok why couldn't they ease your mind a little and tell you that?? I wouldn't be happy, your already worried something really serious happened to your husband, whats the reasoning behind that?

11. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

I cannot stand late night calls, when my mom died my brother called us at 5am, and that was the worse call i've ever had.. well then a year before that my friend was killed in a drunk driving accident. that was bad too..
    So now when the phone rings like that I get all freaked out, and my heart races, it's usually a wrong number or my DH's work calling about a sensor was tripped at work, and he usually has to go there and check things out.. thankfully that doesn't happen very often though.

12. tamatik

tamatik Well-Known Member

I had a call one time(in fact sevral calls)when i was first time married.each time I was at work.Each time the woman said"tell Gord i can,t meet him tonite,etc"Needless tyo say each time I got home all I got for supper was hot tongue and cold shoulder..After 2 or 3 of these calls over a 2 week period,I was sick one day and my wife answered the fone and didn,t say anything and handed it to me..I said Hi and immediately handed it to her and the person hung up.Never did find out who hated me so much but at least I was vindicated.Hard to live that down.

Gord

13. Beaners

Beaners Incubator Addict

I have friends that will call me at all hours...all the hours when the sun is down. That's what I get for having waitressed. Those I don't mind because I'm sure I've called them a couple times in the early morning too, but both they and I am awake at unusual hours.

I have had wrong numbers leave voicemails a couple times and those made me feel bad. Someone's grandma calling them about a bracelet and someone's husband saying he'd be home from work late due to an emergency. I wished I had the numbers to call those ones back and let them know to get in touch with the right people.

Kayleigh

14. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

Meg that's too funny. We had a pair of similar calls. One day there is a message on our machine from a guy who sounds like some very "limited" wanna-bee mafia hit man. Now our boy, (lets call him "Joey") calls our machine, and listens to our very detailed message clearly identifying the occupants of our home. Joey then leaves a very threatening message about the "bad tings that are gonna' happen" if Diane don't start paying the rent. Joey has two problems here. We own the house he called, and there is no Diane. A few days later Joey leaves another very threatening message. This time I can't take it anymore. I need to call this guy and experience mega-stupidity in person. After a star-69 call, I get Joey's number. Having done business with several Joey types, I really know how to yank his crank. I call, he says hello. I say, "You really must be some kind of moron, no?" Joey goes postal, and says some rather unpleasant things. He tells me what he is gonna' do to me. I ask exactly how scared I should be of a guy who is too stupid to use a phone? Ouch, Joey was not happy with that question. Once he calms down, I ask him to give me Diane's number. Just as I thought, he dialed it wrong twice! I tell him if he really needs to reach Diane, he needs to find somebody who is smart enough to dial. Joey uses more words you won't hear in church. I hang up laughing. :dance: Joey never calls again... Bada-Bing

15. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    We have an anti-moron device on our phone, its called an unplugged line. Anyone whom needs to speak with us have our cell numbers.

16. countryheart

countryheart Well-Known Member

I always get scared when the phone rings late at night. I hold my breath until I find out what's going on. I haven't had too many good phone calls in the middle of the night.

Countryheart

17. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

drunk? you should have asked her for a credit card number.

when my nephew was little he asked this dunk fella (they lived beisde the tavern) for some money (the other 2 boys dared him to) the guy kinda looked at him, puled out his wallet and gave it to him then walked off...

yes I made him go give it back.
    but if you need a few extra bucks.... panhandling a drunk seems pretty profitable.

lol

18. Junkman

Junkman Junkman

Now why didn't I think to ask for the credit card number? Too slow thinking at two I guess. :shrug:

19. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

I was listening to a program on public radio yesterday and they said a person had invented a phone that you had to breath into it to check for sobriety. If it registered .08 it would not allow you to make a call. This was to keep you from calling your boss and telling him what you REALLY thought of him, and other such calls.

20. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

When my parents bought their house in town 2 years ago they were granted the phone number of a recently passed away town doctor. You guessed it they receive calls at all hours of the night about falls illnesses and other problems. Most are from half asleep elderly people who some how in the middle of the night remember the number. A couple of times he has had to talk to the person in one ear and call 911 on the cell in the other ear.

The best one was from a lady who sounded like she was 120 and had a pain in her back. My dad looks at the caller id and the call is from a local nurseing home. So my dad asks for here room number and calls the nurseing home and tells them to go check her back.

He gets less and less calls over the last year. I think he misses them.

Jon