1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
My experience with it is it's great.... for making 'boat payments'. I've repaired several pex installations in the past... fixing the stuff is easy, just snip the pipe, and replace or install some fittings. I usually tell folks I can fix the problem, or 'really' fix the problem, by replacing all the pex with pvc or copper, and save them a bundle in the long run. Everyone wants it just fixed. Several months later, I go back and fix another leak 20' away. Over and over, in a different spot. One family, after I'd charged them over a thousand in minor fixes, decided on the guaranteed 'really big fix', replacing all of the pex with cpvc.

Mileage may vary. Granted, I've only worked on a dozen or so homes with pex systems... sure there are millions without problems. When pex fails in a non stress situation, in a long supported run, it makes me wonder why. I wouldn't install it in my house, except in maybe a retrofit, where I needed to snake it through an irreplaceable stone wall.

And, it rarely freezes that bad down here.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
27,364 Posts
"I wouldn't install it in my house, except in maybe a retrofit, where I needed to snake it through an irreplaceable stone wall."

I installed pex in our home 7 years ago. Actually did it all myself( with some help from my husband). It is our domestic water system as well as our radiant floor. No leaks, no problems and very easy to ad new plumbing to.

Jill

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I've used it in both of the last two houses we've owned. Nothing better. It's easy to use, easy to fix - and doesn't leak if you do it right. I used to work on homes for a living. Delt with PEX, CPVC and copper plumbing. I'll never use anything BUT PEX again. It DOES freeze up here, but still not any problems different from the other types - they all freeze.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
The local hardware store loans out their crimper. We got the PEX, fittings and then borrowed the crimpers, 1/2" and 3/4", and we plumbed this two story house in a day. Never had a leak in years. When we want to add in a line, get the crimpers and the fitting and that line is added fast.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wayne02 said:
Thanks very much for posting this. Can I save this pdf document by simply right clicking and "save target as", or do I need to open the pdf and then save it to my hd?
I just saved the link, revisit and print as needed.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
We LOVE PEX. But there are differences in the qualities of PEX, the heat tolerances of PEX, and the crimping ring systems of PEX. Some are far superior to others and you have to use the right one for the job and you have to treat it right (no UV exposure and you can't kink it all up before you install it).

·
Registered
191 Posts
texican said:
My experience with it is it's great.... for making 'boat payments'. I've repaired several pex installations in the past... fixing the stuff is easy, just snip the pipe, and replace or install some fittings. I usually tell folks I can fix the problem, or 'really' fix the problem, by replacing all the pex with pvc or copper, and save them a bundle in the long run. Everyone wants it just fixed. Several months later, I go back and fix another leak 20' away. Over and over, in a different spot. One family, after I'd charged them over a thousand in minor fixes, decided on the guaranteed 'really big fix', replacing all of the pex with cpvc.

Mileage may vary. Granted, I've only worked on a dozen or so homes with pex systems... sure there are millions without problems. When pex fails in a non stress situation, in a long supported run, it makes me wonder why. I wouldn't install it in my house, except in maybe a retrofit, where I needed to snake it through an irreplaceable stone wall.

And, it rarely freezes that bad down here.
Texican, just to be sure, you are talking about pex and not polybutylene? The polybutylene that was installed in the 70's had ALOT of problems and there were many lawsuits. If it is pex, when were these systems installed and does it seem to be a particular brand that is failing?

My BIL is a plumber and I help him out from time to time. With the price of copper now days he mostly uses pex. I have installed pex here at our house for radiant floor and am planning on replacing some cpvc with pex. I do like copper, never been a fan of cpvc.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have had far less problems with pex than either copper or cpvc, and I have used them all at one time or another. Incorrect installation of any plumbing, including pex will lead to problems later.

·
Unapologetically me
21,928 Posts
Wayne02 said:
Thanks very much for posting this. Can I save this pdf document by simply right clicking and "save target as", or do I need to open the pdf and then save it to my hd?
Wayne, either way works fine.

·
Unapologetically me
21,928 Posts
I Just used PEX for the first time this weekend. It worked great, but I only used about 6 feet in 2 runs.
For going through floors and up into walls, it's perfect.

·
Registered
135 Posts
what is the difference between polyprolene and PEX. The grey junk used in mobile homes (in particular a 1987 one) is a disaster. Rats& mice love the stuff, it leaks, breaks, etc. If pex is different I think it could only be better, worse would be impossible.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
PEX is totally different than the gray stuff from the 1980s mobile homes. It is durable, heat-resistant (there is more than one grade and cold-water PEX is usually blue while hot-water PEX is usually red but most home potable water applications (not heating applications) can interchange the two), and easy to install. You can unfreeze a frozen PEX system and even fix a crimp in the line with a super heater (looks like a compact hair dryer). PEX is affordable and a heckuva lot easier to deal with than weekenders trying to learn to solder without burning down their houses. ;)

The only down sides I found to PEX was the cost of the crimping tool (and some have specific sizes so you have to buy more than one - skip that style of crimping rings & crimpers!), the stiff nature of PEX that can make it a little difficult to weave in and out of areas (especially in looped in-floor radiant systems but it still beats copper), and the fact that you have to be careful not to expose it to UV light for very long. I still have not had a problem with our PEX and it's been installed here for 2 years in a very harsh climate.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
I think the word "correct installation" is the most important thing. Any tubing, incorrectly installed, will fail.

Did I mention I love the stuff... it is easy to work with, and installs like a dream. I may be slightly prejudiced by the fact that I was given an 18'x7' trailer full of pvc and cpvc back in June, straight from the Ace Hardware Store... they were cleaning up their 'yard' and the manager asked if I wanted some... I said I'd take all they wanted to get rid of... he said come back with a trailer, I did, and he emptied his current stock on my trailer... I don't know how many thousands were on the trailer... half a dozen of the sch. 40 4" would've cost almost 500$... I figure I got enough to plumb my new house and most of the sewer pipe I'll need. (Couldn't sweet talk em out of the fittings though :rolleyes: )

If someone gave me a couple cases of pex fittings and a couple full rolls, I'd probably use it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.