Petromax lantern

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cyngbaeld, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Has anybody used this lantern? What did you think of it? I've used Alladin lamps and have one now and really like it, but would like more than one light so dd and I will have one for each bedroom when the power goes out. I like the idea of being able to use nearly any fuel instead of kerosene only. I found it on Walton Feed's site:

http://waltonfeed.com/petromax.html

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Do ya see our PetroMax near the top center of the photo below:

[​IMG]

I've had this lantern for 8 years. It puts out more light than any mantel lantern I've ever seen...including any of the Coleman brand...and way more than my Aladdin lamps. It lights up that 16'x24' cabin like it's high noon! I'd say the 500cp PetroMax is too much lantern for a bedroom....you'd have to wear sunglasses. Maybe the 150cp would be the best PetroMax for a small room. Besides light, the 500cp puts out a lot of heat. Not something you'd want to use in the summer unless you have lots of ventilation. Get the 150cp for the bedrooms or just stay with the Aladdins. Besides the heat, the only other drawback of the PetroMax (or any other lantern) is the constant hissing sound.

3. Cyngbaeld

Nice picture!

I had just assumed the light intensity was adjustable and 400w was maximum. I gather this is not the case?

I'm actually wanting the lanterns to use during winter storms. Our power goes out fairly regularly around here. (I'm hoping to get a solar panel to use with a small battery bank for emergency lights/12v fan/12v cistern pump for summer time outages.) So the heat would prob be a plus. Does it hiss worse than a propane lantern? Got one of those too, don't really like to use it in the house tho.

4. Cabin Fever

You should really use the lantern at full light, at lower light intensity it seems to not burn all of the kersosene and gets smelly. You adjust the air butterfly valve at full brightness, so you really don't want it to burn at a differnt setting.

Yes, it is noisy....just like a pump-up Coleman lantern, perhaps more noisy. So the larger the room it's in , the better.

I've had a difficult time getting mine lit with a match when using 100% Coleman...have to use a grill lighter. It seems to light much better when I use half kerosene and half Coleman fuel.

If you get one, make sure you get the Schrader valve adapter to replace the hand pump.

5. Cyngbaeld

Thanks. Don't want smelly! I'll remember about the grill lighter and the kero/coleman mixture.

6. Cyngbaeld

7. Lindafisk

Lindafisk Well-Known Member

Here is a site someone told me about and it is supposed to have quite a bit of info on lanterns, not to mention other stuff! You have to scroll down to see the lighting chioces....

http://www.endtimesreport.com/Site_Index.htm

8. Cabin Fever

Yes, the EZ Pump valve...it's like the valve stem on your car tire. It allows you to use a bicycle pump to quickly pressurize your lantern.

BTW, thanks for the link, there is a lot more stuff available for the lantern than I knew about. I might try the alcohol conversion on my 500cp and see if it provides as much light.

Cabin Fever trivia question: What's the difference between a lantern and a lamp?

9. Cyngbaeld

Thanks for all the help, CF. Do let me know how the alcohol adapter works.

What is the diff between lamp and lantern? I think the lantern has a handle to carry it around.

10. Cabin Fever

You’re right on the lamp vs. lantern trivia question!

It doesn’t look like I need a conversion kit for the 500cp. According to the website that you posted, all I have to do is modify the mechanics of the lantern. A kit is only needed for the 150cp.

So, what does a gallon of alcohol cost vs. kerosene? I think they sell gallons of alcohol in the “paint thinner aisle” at the hardware store…but it might be denatured alcohol, not isopropyl.

11. Cyngbaeld

I think the isopropyl can be under 4$/gal. Usually sold in pints or less. Depends on where you get it. Denatured is usually in hardware stores, I believe. Don't know the $. The denatured is frequently used in alcohol stoves, might work better. Prob depends on the adulterant, but they normally put something flammable in for that. I don't particulary enjoy handling kero or gas myself. Noticed the petromax can run on veggie oil too.

A person could make their own alcohol to burn in the lamp if push came to shove. Not that hard to do, especially if it does not need to be fit for human consumption. LOL