PETA Supporter

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Cremaster, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Cremaster

Cremaster Member

Well I don't know how I found this place, well yes I do I was surfing for cheese. Raising rabbits for food, culling them, selling their carcas and fur coats. Well I just did not think that people did that sort of thing. I read that the evil processors just throw the fur coats of the rabbits into the trash as useless. I would think that the industry would do like the American Indians and use all the parts of the animal. They even use the styrofoam tray that the meat comes from for crafts and making those Indian spears your kids want you to buy when you go to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. You know they even use all parts of the chicken now, the fingers are served in some of the finest resturants as well as the nuggets.

I did see one thing that interested me. Raising worms. Any of you guys got a link to that? Worms do not bother me no matter what is done to them. They have no backbone so they do not have emotions, solve problems, use tools, or diagram sentences. Until there are hollywood actors that say that worms are capable of love just like them then I don't feel bad exploiting them for capitalist gain.

If you have a link for worm farming please post it for me.

By the way here is the link for PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals). http://mtd.com/tasty/

Don't blame my mother for my sense of humor, it is all mine.

I would like the worm link.

2. daniel brown

daniel brown New Member

wouldn't be funny if somebody switched the site names around
    besides I think the IRS is looking at PETA

3. Bob in WI

Bob in WI Well-Known Member

There is no market for the pelts, partly because of groups like PETA who go around spray-painting, and generally harrassing anyone who would dare to wear furs.

It is not the evil processors it is the wacko environmentalists/animal right folks who are really causing this waste.

4. ChuckHolton

ChuckHolton Active Member

Oohhh.. Touche, Bob! :)

5. Bob in WI

6. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

>There is no market for the pelts, partly because of groups like PETA who go around spray-painting, and generally harrassing anyone who would dare to wear furs.<

Um... yes and no. We just can't produce the tanned pelts as economically as the foreign imported pelts! Can buy those already tanned for as low as $0.75 per pelt, while it costs us an average of $2.50 each to tan them. There is, however, an increasing demand for raw U.S. rabbit fur pelts, particularly for exporting to other countries.

Rabbit processors make every effort to use as much of the rabbit as is possible. Selling the blood, brains, and other parts and biologicals from the rabbits is very important to them as well as for our pharmaceautical industries. Our largest processor (Pel-Freez in Arkansas) markets mainly to the pharmaceutical markets. See their biological web site at:

http://www.pelfreez-bio.com/index.html

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/

7. Cremaster

Cremaster Member

Anyone got a link to raising worms?

I think, from my hate mail, that afew people thought my PETA comments were serious. Let me state that it was susposed to be funny. Yes I eat Tasty Animals and support anyone that want to as well as someone that wants to eat only carrots but I get angry when they spray paint my furs, SUVs, burn down my ski lodges or try to tell me that I should only eat carrots.

8. Bob in WI

What hate mail???

9. Javert1969

Javert1969 New Member

Hi:

There is a group on Yahoo call thewormbin that is a discussion group on using worms as a clean and economical way of composting both waste and rabbit manure into black earth - great for gardens! I have been using Vermiculture for a year now and my garden has never looked better - best of all I'm down to one bag of "garbage" every two weeks for a family of 4 that's pretty low!!

BFN
    kim

10. RitchieRabbits

RitchieRabbits New Member

Yep, People Eating Tasty Animals.. I LOVE That!! One of my favorite sayings. I too, eat tasty animals, and support anyone who does. PETA is sick! Im sure all of us homesteaders can probably understand that. And I'd wear the furs anyways, even if they don't like it or if they did harass me... haha, it would be sorta funny to make them mad!! hehe. I also wouldn't let hate mail get to me at ALL. My sister is a Taxidermist and has gotten SO many hate mail e-mails and letters you wouldn't even believe it... its not good to read those, after the first few being really ugly she started pressing the delete key so quick on each one of them and wouldn't even read them. Do that, and don't let it get to ya! www.geocities.com/ritchiesrabbits/petasucks -- thats my site :)
    Again, I don't mean to start trouble either :) But just wanted to express my opinion on this topic!

Sara

11. Bob in WI

That sounds great. Where is it I can get more information?

12. Guest

Any time you see someone mention a yahoogroup name, you can subscribe by sending a blank email to:
    GROUPNAME-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Meatrabbits-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
    Showbunny-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
    thewormbin-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

There. Use those. :D

The Worm Forum, by the Worm Digest, is also an absolutely excellent place to find good solid verminfo. http://www.wormdigest.org/forum/index.cgi?

Have fun!

PA

13. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

One of the biggest problems with using american raised rabbits for pelts is the age of the animal when butcherd is so young the pelt is not mature enough for the european market. They want the older rabbit pelt, which is far thicker and better for tanning with or without the fur, so most come from europe/ Spain tans aroud 70 million rabbit hides a year and they are one of the smaller european markets, if you do a search you will find you can buy hides for way under a dollar a peace from europe.

14. marcath

marcath Active Member

I' believe and am a member a PETA........

P...People
    E...Eating
    T...Tasty
    A...Animals

15. 4-h'er

4-h'er Member

um, you guys might want to be careful the way you're switching names of organizations like that. it's kinda confuseing.are you guys in favor of the real peta or not?(and idon't mean people eating tasty animals).

16. Yankee1

Yankee1 Well-Known Member

17. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

I love animals.

Three times a day. Umm... Umm... Good! :haha:

18. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

Just so you wont worry, there really is a peta (People who enjoy Eating Tasty Animals) A few years back if you typed in www.peta.com you got the tasty site, The animal rights Peta of course had a freaking hissy fit... And promptly sued the Tasty group. I lost track of the proceedings a long time ago but it basically went like this. Peta had a fit, said how dare someone use OUR name for THAT, Tasty said Hey thats our intinals and you didnt buy that name first so there... And it took MANY many trips to the courts to resolve it. Im guessing since the Tasty sight is now on the other addy...
    At any rate I feel Peta (The animal rights ) are nothing more than media grabbing terroristic idiots.... They will "free" animals and then when these "freed" animals starve to death because Farmer Joe isnt there to feed them every day, or they get squeeshed in the road because they have no idea that a car doing 55 will make them a puddle if they dont move... and all Peta can say is at least they had a chance at freedom?? I mean shesh some brain activity would do this group wonders...Peta has said time and time again that animals have more rights than humans, that humans should leave this planet so the animals can return to the free creatures they were before us humans dared screw it up... WEll Far as IM concerned Peta should set an example for us all... Be the first to disappear of this planet :)...
    Animals have a place in this world... Next to some mashed potatoes and corn happens to be one of them.......

19. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

BTW I thought the first post was funny, I got it right of the get go you were making fun of Peta (THe animal rights one) LOL

20. Pops2

Pops2 Well-Known Member

RoyalOaks
    i'll go you one better. PETA (the AR nuts) runs an animal "shelter" in tidewater (norfolk i think) Virginia. VA requires a strict accounting of all animals taken in, placed & euthenized. this info is part of the public record. over 80% of all the dogs & cats they take in get euthenized. same for the Humane Society of the United States (national AR nut group) who operate a "shelter" in northern Virginia.
    these people are so devoted to "animal rights" that they automatically put down ANY dog that their "volunteers" THINK is a "pit bull" or a pit bull mix w/o ever trying to determine if they are temperamentally capable of being someone's pet.
    for everyone
    the fur market for rabbit is limited since its leather is thin & other furs have superior insulating properties it is primarily used as trim for gloves, leather coats etc. since trim is a fashion concern the market for rabbit is going to be driven by the current style. in the trim trade it competes against other & larger furs like muskrat, nutria & flat coyote. the current fashion market is for longhairs such as bobcat, lynx & heavy coyote & fox. you can get more usable trim fur from one 10# nutria or 30# coyote than from an equal weight of rabbit & the leather is heavier which means less loss to leather damage during processing.