PETA opposes Iditarod

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mpillow, Mar 14, 2005.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

PETA opposes Iditarod

By Kirk T. Albrecht

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, a national organization for animal rights, officially opposes the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.

Calling the annual race “Ihurtadog,” PETA features its opposition in published materials, saying, “Hundreds of dogs are abused and exploited every year in Alaska’s Iditarod dog sled race—a grueling trek.
    “Today’s race has nothing in common with the original Iditarod, which was intended to deliver an emergency supply of diphtheria serum.” PETA continues, “Today’s participants are motivated by only one thing, the cash prize, and they will do almost anything to attain it.”

PETA objects to the Iditarod “solely on cruelty concerns,” according to Jennifer O’Connor, an official spokesperson for the organization. “Dogs are considered as equipment, simply running machines, not living breathing creatures.”

Objections by the animal rights group are two-fold: “Iditarod dogs are overworked, and the dog breeding industry supporting the Iditarod is inhumane. “

O’Connor points out that PETA objects strongly to the grueling aspects of the race, refusing to call the trek to Nome a “sporting” event. “The dogs do the vast majority of the physical labor; the dogs have to run the whole way. It doesn’t matter that severe winds, blizzards, extremely cold temperatures, treacherous ice and freezing water make the race so grueling. The dogs are simply overworked, some to death.”

Breeding of dogs associated with the Iditarod raises the ire of PETA. “There is perpetual overbreeding,” according to O’Connor. “Not every dog born is a ruunner, so culling is normal. Those dogs that don’t make the grade are killed.”

PETA publications note that “dogs pay a terrible price behind the scenes. [Dogs] are killed by bludgeoning or drowning – for not possessing monumental stamina and speed.”
    Critics of the Iditarod, including PETA, have noted the death of more than 120 dogs in the race since the first one in 1973. Some have even dubbed it “The I-Killed-A-Sled-Dog Race.”

Musher Ramey Smyth, 29, of Big Lake, Alaska, the son of Iditarod veterans Bud Smyth and the late Lolly Medley, disagrees. He considers sled dogs “extraordinary athletes.” He calls those who believe sled dogs are abused “fools.” “These are the best cared-for dogs in the world,” he says. “My veterinary bill is about $15,000 to $20,000 a year.”

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals does not oppose sled dog racing, but worries about the dangers posed by the intense pace of the Iditarod. The ASPCA Vice President Stephen Zawistowski noted “general concerns,” but conditioned them with emphasis on those “dogs being pushed beyond their endurance or capabilities.”

Dr. Stu Nelson, the Iditarod’s Chief Veterinarian, takes criticism by animal rights groups like PETA “personally, very personally,” calling such activist groups “Internet terrorists.” He vehemently returns the criticism, saying, “They’ve never spent one day caring for these dogs.” He observes that few have even been to Alaska; most have never seen a sled dog race.”

Nome’s resident veterinarian, Dr. Derrick Leedy, disputes theallegation that the dogs are overworked. He says, “Most vets do not consider sled dogs abused. The dogs are willing and love to do what they do. Critics need to see the Iditarod in action.”

From Nome Nugget online newspaper

This is ridiculous!!!

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I oppose PETA... unless you mean People Eating Tasty Animals.

3. mpillow

:D

Wok-a-dog in the bush?

4. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Anyone who has spent 5 minutes around a sled dog knows that they want to race.

Anyone who has spent 5 minutes around an Iditarod-level musher knows he takes better care of those dogs than he does his wife...if she's still around.

5. mpillow

There are alot of very successful female mushers as well....The jr. Iditarod was one by a young lady this year and there is one or two female winners of the Iditarod maybe more in the last 32 runnings.

It is a level playing field for both sexes and their dogs are their lives...for the most part!

(BTW... Fin how are you feeling with the kidney thing?)

6. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

It always amazes me how groups like PETA appose any sport having to do with animals, but you never hear them speaking out about puppy mills, and the millions of animals who are abused at home each and every day.

I am all for animal wellfare, but most of these so called animal rights groups will produce any lie possible in order to get people to side with them.....and many people never research anything, they just hear something and take it for truth.
    I have to deal with PETA, SHARK, and other A.R. groups on practically an everyday basis (I'm a bad bad person for riding bulls and horses, and supporting rodeo/the western lifestyle :no: ). There isn't a week goes by that someone doesn't write to me, or confront me with some audacious lie about rodeo. The one I really loved was the "idea" that we put razor blades/sharp glass in the flank ropes/straps of the bucking stock (the sharp objects would cut the animals belly, thus making it buck :no: ). It was great fun to be able to show the lady the underside of a horses belly, and that of a bull as well....so that she could see all the vital veins and arteries that would be cut if sharp objects were used. Thus causing a blood bath and probably with time a gutted animal (emagine a horse suddenly dropping on the arena floor because it litterally bucked its guts out). Then I asked her if she thought that these animals were stupid, that they would continue to buck if they were in such pain and bleeding out. I also asked why it was that many horses have bucking careers on into their twenties, and bulls into their teens (and how it is that many animals are bucked each week) if we were causing such mortal wounds. Then explained to her that stock contractors wouldn't be able to afford the fines let alone the vet bills if such torture occured. When I asked if she had ever researched what she was told (or at least used some common sence every once in a while), she said that she had just taken for granted that what she had been told by PETA was truth.
    Wanting to stop animal abuse is great, but lets start at home, rather than with sports that trully care for their animals and respect the abilities of our four legged friends.

We (rodeo) did lose a great bull this last week. "Hotel California" died after a valliant effort from vets to save his life. It was found that he had a liver disease/cancer. This weekend they had a memorial for him on the PBR (pro Bull Riders) telecast. If we torture our animals why would we care enough to have a memorial?

7. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Oh, no doubt--I was just too lazy to be pc; plus, it's more fun to pick on men than women. Oops, I guess that wasn't pc either.

(BTW...fine--thanks for asking.)

8. TC2

TC2 Active Member

I once owned two malamute mixes, and let me tell you, they live to pull!
    It's bred into them, like herding to border collies. They are NOT couch dogs! Very intelligent, independant.
    Peta goes waaaayyy overboard with anything they do. Check out the Peta 2 boards to see what I mean. Someone was complaining a/b the bull riding kids rides at walmart, how they promote rodeos and animal cruelty. Someone else pointed out that walmart sells a toy steer head on a stick and how it was sickening that they promote using animals for labor. Weird.

At one point, they discussed possibly trying to ban animal crackers b/c it encouraged folks to eat meat. This was during the "no more road kill gummies" campaign. Like I said, wayyyy overboard.

9. pamda

pamda Well-Known Member Supporter

I personally think the peta people have to much time on their hands and need to use those wild imaginations for something more useful. Or maybe they should use all the inherited money for something good. Lots of homeless kids out there need help and lots of animal shelters need help.

10. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

As someone who is hoping to run the Iditarod 2007 or 2008
    depending on how things work out.(keep your fingers crossed for me)
    Reading all these posts I want to thank you for your
    support and applaud your knowledge of how these dogs are cared for.
    I know several mushers, these dogs are taken care of better than anything
    I have ever seen.
    Fin29's post was RIGHT ON

Maybe PETA can go check out the nations feed lots and see the cattle living
    in its own mess. (When I was younger I use to think it was just hills)
    and leave alone the family farmers and sports people who take care of their animals better than themselves.

One of my best refers says.....QUOTE: ***** has always taken meticulous care of her animals, often times more particular care of her animals than she has of herself with no regard for her own comfort.

(another words, middle of the night in the freezing weather. To care for and comfort them, also feeding in the morning before I have my breakfast)

I have a musher friend who I have shown this site to last week, if she wants and has time to, I'll ask her to post about these dogs care for the folks on the board who are not familar with the care these dogs get and the Vet checks these dogs get along many points in the race. The 1,000's of booties gone through to protect their feet. The special food and diets.

11. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Peta needs to wake up and leave us alone as I think they suck swampwater,thats why there inbred morons at peta.

12. Phantomfyre

Phantomfyre Black Cat Farm Supporter

PETA opposes everything. :rolleyes: I definitely support humane treatment and prevention of cruelty, but PETA goes WAAAAAAY overboard. I agree - they have too much time on their hands. Opposing gummy bears and animal crackers? Gimme a break!

Ranchlady, rock on! Go get 'em, girl! :worship:

Diana

13. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

I have a husky and all that dog wants to do is run run run and if given the chance she would pull me along with her. The dogs bred to do this love what they do and are treated better than some house dogs I know.

PETA would be opposed to this even if the objective was STILL to get needed meds to humans.

There was a clip on the news the other night about some 'local' PETA ambassadors doing their duty by posing practically nude on the streets holding up signs about sheep or something. The reporter interviewed a bunch of people and no one could tell you what they were protesting, but they did think they were exploiting women. PETA should go start their own 'country' on some island somewhere and see how far they get into civilizing it without animals.

I don't know how long I could last without gummy bears. Those poor misunderstood and exploited candies are a favorite at my house.

14. Sioux Nation

Sioux Nation Active Member

I follow the Iditarod very closely every year. All I can say is there are vets at every check point and any musher that abuses/mistreats/drugs their dogs are fined and pulled out of the race.

Also, if a dog expires during the race, the musher has to stop until all testing is done, if they are found liable, they are in HUGE trouble. If not, they will not be held accountable. Their number one safety is the animals. Mushers have to carry so much food, water and booties for their team. Dogs have to be covered if riding in the sled if the weather is bad. Mushers treat their dogs like humans and there is a special relationship between owner and the dogs.

I know Charlie pulled out of the race because his dogs were too tired and hurting. He stated that he couldn't do that to his dogs. I have full respect for Charlie.

PETA has ruined many lives with their outragous acts. Like someone stated, they have too much time on their hands and too much hot air.

I have a goal that in two years I will train for sledding races. I am conditioning myself for the mental and phyiscal stage right now. A musher has to have so many miles and finish at least 75% of the race before they can even qualify for the Iditarod.

Ranchlady, I would like to talk with you!

15. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

I don't agree with everything that PETA has to say or the way that they go about saying it, but just to correct any misimpressions, they *do* have plenty to say about factory farming and puppy mills, as ranchlady43 and vegascowgirl wish that they would (see excerpts from PETA's website below).

PETA tends to take things to an extreme, but I think that a lot of people on this forum could agree with their general goal, which is to improve people's treatment of animals. I've seen posts from all of the people here who take pride in free ranging their chickens and providing them things to entertain themselves with, or go out in the freezing cold every day to make sure thier goats are snug and comfy, or worry themselves sick when their horse is injured. If everyone in the country were as responsible and caring as the people on this board, I think the PETA people wouldn't be so angry and quick to believe all the bad things they hear. But there are (a lot of) people out there who do horrible, unimaginably cruel things to animals, and if you spend all day investigating treatment like that, I think it makes you a little edgy.

PETA creates problems for itself when it harasses the good people like the people here, who could otherwise probably be their allies against the real troublemakers, like factory farming and puppy mills. But, IMHO, they're not all bad.

Just my two cents.

FACTORY FARMING
    The green pastures and pastoral barnyard scenes of years past, which are still portrayed in children's books, have been replaced by windowless metal warehouses, wire cages, and gestation crates on the factory farms of today.

Farmed animals have virtually no legal protection and suffer horrific abuse that would be illegal if inflicted on dogs or cats. They are neglected, drugged, mutilated, injected with hormones, transported through all weather extremes, and violently slaughtered.

Factory farmers strive to produce the most meat, milk, and eggs as quickly and cheaply as possible. To maximize space and profits, cows, calves, pigs, chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, and other animals are crammed into small cages or stalls. http://www.animalactivist.com/vegetarian.asp

COMPANION ANIMALS
    Dogs and cats may tug at our heartstrings, but despite all the love they give us, an estimated 4 to 6 million must be euthanized annually in the United States because there aren't enough loving homes for them. Abandoned animals often become victims of road traffic, disease, starvation, or cruel people or are stolen by laboratory dealers or used as bait by dogfighters. Tragically, while millions of animals are killed for want of a good home, breeders churn out millions of animals each year.

You can help keep dogs and cats from suffering from homelessness by promoting spaying and neutering.

Did you know that puppies sold in pet shops typically come from nightmarish "puppy mills," where dogs are crammed into tiny, filthy, metal cages, languishing from neglect, loneliness, boredom, and even disease? Females are treated like breeding machines, and their offspring are taken from them at an early age, packed into crates, and shipped to dealers, often without adequate food, water, or ventilation. This separation breaks the hearts of both mother and puppy, and the customers who buy these puppies often find that they have diseases or congenital defects caused by interbreeding.
    http://www.animalactivist.com/companionAnimals.asp

16. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

PETA is as off base as usual...
    I live in Alaska, I am a musher and have a kennel of sled dogs. They live to run. Mushers of Iditarod and Yukon Quest level teams live for their teams and dedicate much of their lives and livelyhood to the dogs.

PETA's claims that the Iditarod mushers are only in it for the money is ludicrous.

As Ranchlady says a lot goes into caring for these dogs.

17. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

FreeinAlaska, maybe you can tell these folks what kind of feed and vet bills
    you have. Not exact but to give them an idea
    'how you're in it for the money' :rolleyes:

How about PETA go after the back yard breeders who breed after movies like
    101 Dalmations
    SnowDogs
    After a movie comes out people will breed them to death cause people
    seeing these movies are to dumb to do their research and all they see is a cut little puppy with no idea as to what their natures are
    Sibes are runners, escape artist, and to me the ADHD of the dog world and 4 out of 5 are smarter than their owners.

Sioux Nation feel free to email me, my email is ranchlady42@aol.com
    this ID is ranchlady43 had a birthday :waa: I'm older

As to animal rights groups, I have an aquaintence who use to raise mink
    a family operation, 4 times people came during the night and opened the cages.
    DOZENS and DOZENS of cages.
    The heart break was there was no way to tell which momma went with which babies and putting the wrong momma in she would kill the babies so many
    DOZENS died due to some so called animal rights thing.
    One year in summer they cut his water off and many died.
    He had 4 attacks on his place in 10 years.

grrrrr I need to stop typing my blood is boiling

18. Caelma

Caelma Well-Known Member

I just called my musher friend in Alaska
    her internet is down. But she gave me this site to post.
    Hope you all enjoy it

www.sunhusky.com

click on: Iditarod Facts
    Enjoy!!

19. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Awwww....someone said it first!!!! :waa:

I think everyone should have a cause. I'm for protecting anumals from cruelty. I think any testing on human's behalf, should be perfromed on inmates with life or death sentences, not on animals. I think mr. chimp and i may have different skin types.

I appreciate when someone is wholeheartedly for something, however, when they ruin lives, property, etc, then are no longer compaigning for a cause, they are criminals, and should be treated as such.

When these nuts put animals lives over human lives (not inmates, but people who respect the law, that is), then they loose their rights, in my opinion. Rats have no more rights than the children in slums they bite and chew on. PETA is a terrorist culture, and should not have tax exclusions, not be non-proffit, since they use that status to harm others well being, terrorize anyone who has anything to do with animals, and should be the first to tell you that plants have feelings too..so when we all stop wearing fur, we'll then be beat over the head for killing poor innocent plants for food, shelter and clothing.

Hey! I think I've got it!!! PETA is actually an organization that wants everyone to be anorexic and nude!!!!

20. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Peta is just a bunch of backward people, so far from the earth and nature, they haven't a clue.