Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I know that many of you have dogs and I have a quick questions about all natural methods of removing dog poop stains from carpet. Before the question, here is the reason....

3 year old daughter comes into my room this morning at about 6:30 and says that the dog has used her floor as a bathroom. I tell her hold on I am coming and think nothing of it. I fall back asleep for a minute. Then I hear a sound like a motor running, and that gets me right out of bed. I run into her room and she has the hand vac in her hand and is trying to get all of our large dog's waste into the vac. Needless to say it wasn't even dry and it was everywhere at that point. All over the vac (which I still haven't cleaned. . ), all over DD, and all over my house because she had it on her feet. It has been a very trying morning.

So with that thought in mind, I picked it all up and then scrubbed the carpets with a wet cloth. The smell was just overwhelming so I put baking soda over the stains and vacuumed that up. I need to go over all of the stains again with something that will actually clean them out of the carpet now, and I would really appreciate an all natural solution as we have young children and animals in the house and I try to keep all chemicals to a bare minimum.

Any advice is more than welcome. . .

·
Love it, or leave it...
402 Posts
I use RESOLVE carpet spray. Either the pump spray bottle, or the aerosol spray foam. It does a great job treating any stain before using the carpet steam cleaner.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I can't help with the poo, but for the wet spots, pour a good layer of table salt on it as soon as you can. The salt pulls the wet UP and then dries. Thats why you need a thick layer. We vacuum it up with a shop vac instead of my regular sweeper. Ah, the memory of housebreaking puppies. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses so far, I think I will just go rent a rug doctor because it is pretty bad. We have had accidents before, but this was the ultimate in grossness. I am normally not grossed out by this type of thing (with 3 small kids, 40 chickens, 2 ducks, and a dog), but this turned out to be the kind of thing that requires a deep clean due to the smell and staining.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would get rid of the carpet, but we have been working very hard to get our house closer to actually listing it and selling. . so it is amidst the chaos that more chaos reigns in my world! At least it is always interesting, whether gross or not.

·
chickaholic goddess
2,740 Posts
My carpet is sooo gross I want to rip it out we got dog stains kid stains dog stains (LOL) of ALL kinds yack!! When I steam clean it you really can't tell the difference anymore eeewww!!!

·
Premium Member
7,230 Posts
So sorry you had the misfortune to fall asleep while with a 3 year old! But isn't it sweet that she wants to help Mommy so much?

I have never had poo spread all over like that but for poo or pee I gather up any solids (in paper usually and flush away, careful no paper towels in toilet!), then with rags press over stain to try to soak up any liquids, then pour some water over stain and soak that back out with a rag pressed on it (in the end I stand on top of towels over the area) several to a jillion times until the water comes out with no discoloration to it and the smell seems gone. Then I blot/soak as dry as possible with the towels/rags and then sprinkle baking soda over it all, sometimes (since crusty baking soda is obnoxious to vacuum up) waiting until the area has air dried for a day or so (but don't do this with poo since you'd rather the baking soda soaks up any remaining liquid- it'll usually change color meaning there was still some poo there). After a few days I vacuum up the dried baking soda.

Also I think a carpet cleaner that sprays down water then sucks it back up might be a good rental idea about now....

I never use brand cleaners so don't know what might help- any of those mentioned in this thread might help after you've used my method to get rid of most of the poo. I have tried vinegar on some areas stained by my pets but it also might bleach a dark carpet so be very careful, maybe test in a hidden place.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Sam's club and now lots of the dreaded Wallyworld stores now carry a product called Odo-Ban
( link to the more common Wally world product )
http://www.odoban.com/OdoBanRetail/OdoBan_RTU_Odor_Eliminator.html

It is absolutely great stuff.....this product is used by all sorts of businesses that deal with bad smells ( think mortuaries ) and I've used it for quite a while now on all sorts of messes ( after our housefire we replaced our lost dogs with puppies 4 indoor puppies :) )

·
Icelandic Sheep
3,348 Posts
Rent the rug doctor and (if you still don't want to use unnatural chemicals) fill it with half tap water as hot as it gets straight from the faucet and vinegar. It will neutralize the odors and the vinegar smell will fade away in an hour or so after the carpet is dry.

Yuk.

RedTartan

·
stranger than fiction
3,093 Posts
This is kinda late advice for you, but maybe for next time?

I bought a Bissel Little Green Machine and it's great! It's a mini steamer. For dog messes, just use a paper towel to get the solid stuff, and then use the steamer for the rest. To kill the smell, I also will sometimes spray some ProSolve (carpet cleaner spray) on the patch, too and then use the steamer to suck it up. See, the steamer will not only suck up the liquids much better, but also spray some clean water/solution on it which will also then get sucked up. It pulls the moisture up right from the bottom of the carpet, and therefore dries faster as well. IMO, it works way better than just using towels, etc.

The Green machine is also good for doing mini shampoo jobs, like if something gets spilled on your couch, or to clean the seats/carpets in your car. Or if your kids are stricken with the stomach flu and "miss the target". ;)Another bonus: steam cleaning your matresses; the water gets sucked up before it has a chance to penetrate too far. Again, drying time is very fast.

For people like HillCrestFarm:D, the limited gag factor is another bonus, since the cleanup is way faster than sopping things up with towels, etc for 20 minutes...any mess you can pick up with the steamer in a matter of minutes. A very big bonus if you happen to find, for example, doggie barf in your hallway at 3am? LOL

The steamer does cost around $80 (in Canada, so probably way less in the US) but it is well worth the price! :) Beats having a garbage bag full of stinky paper towels or having to rinse out towels.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I've had great luck with an Oxyclean product for carpets. We've got a cat - and she pukes nasty hairballs. Even gets hard crusty crap out of the carpet when I've missed a hidden upchuck.

There are also some great enzyme-based products our local grocery store even carries in the pet section. You soak the stain with the product, leave it covered with a towel and the enzymes eat away the stain and the odor. When I was first married, we moved into a rental that had horrible dog smells/stains - used one of these products and it worked great.

I never had much luck with steam cleaner products - kind of mask the smell for a while and then it is back. Hopefully, better products are available now.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Don['t forget Borax for smell too. It works better than baking soda... Although for this level of "yuck", I think I would have also gone for the Rug Doctor. I do have one of the little bissells and I love it. What I love the absolute most is that I don't have carpet....

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the advice everyone. I went and rented a Rug Doctor and used their "special" cleaner and that seemed to do the trick. The problem now is that I used it on my sons carpet and I believe I got it too wet, so now his room really is starting to smell. . .of course the rug doctor had to be returned yesterday unless I wanted to spend another $35 which was a lot to spend to begin with! Anyway I think I just need to let the carpet dry and hopefully we can get our carpets professionally cleaned before too long, as we are planning on selling sooner than later.

Again, thanks for all of the suggestions. I will catalog the answers!

·
stranger than fiction
3,093 Posts
I never had much luck with steam cleaner products - kind of mask the smell for a while and then it is back.
I'm not sure this is the same thing I use. My "steamer" doesn't just steam the spot, what it does is use strong suction to pull up the moisture and can also spray cleaning solution at the same time. All is sucked up so what you are left with is a clean area; there is nothing left behind to smell. Sometimes too clean, though, because then it's cleaner than the rest of the carpet. LOL

Is the Rug Doctor those huge push-along rental units? They are horrible! I find they leave a ton of water behind and also the shampoo tends to smell horrible. I think some of this is because they are rentals, and God only knows who used it for what before you. They always smell mildewy, probably from lack of rinsing out. And they don't have a lot of suction either.

And as for the professional cleaners. I hired Sears before and they didn't do any better. There were still stains in the carpet after they left. I do a better job with my own machine---it cost me $120 for it, about the same as Sears charged for one cleaning.

I bought a large Bissel standup type carpet cleaner and the green machine for small pickups. Wouldn't be without either one. Not with 4 people here, plus three dogs and a cat, I wouldn't. Someone is always making a mess! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts