Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those of you who sell pets, how are you doing with sales and if business is slow what do you atribute it to.
Do you think it's cause it's winter or the economy or what?
The reason I am asking is I'd like to be one step ahead of it if this economy, is it going to get me stuck with a bunch of mini lops to feed out and put in the freezer.
Is it time to get out of the pet business?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here in the Mid Michigan area the bottom has dropped almost completely out of the pet market. Some people I know are still getting pet sales around the bigger cities of Detroit and Grand Rapids, but those are down also.

For the most part if I don't keep it myself for showing/breeding or sell to another breeder for the same purpose, it goes to the meat pen.

The economy here really stinks and doesn't look to be improving anytime soon.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
pet sales... I'm not running into a problem yet. Mind...I have options for my rabbits if I don't sell them as pets....critter food - dogs, snakes, cats etc., my own table, the auction if I don't mind taking a cut on what they are really worth, and so forth. As of yet, I'm not having trouble. Mind...I can see it coming though...don't want to have too much that you can't get rid of them either. I'm doing all I can to boost my 'to/for critter' sales as much as I can. That's a market I don't see drying up any time too soon.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Annette was telling me that there is certian times of year to shoot for, one of the best being easter. Ive got some litters going out in the next few weeks so hopfully I can sell them, if not I will grow them out and sell them in the spring as breeders(these are holland lops and lionheads).

You could probably get alot more $ selling to pet people then selling for meat. Thats the way im thinking, therefore i will try to sell all rabbits for pet first...then go to other alternatives.

Like Ladysown said, ive also got the market I could bring them to....you get alot lower prices but your not feeding it anymore and you know that it isnt coming home again!! One day you could only get a few bucks the next it could be in the $20's, ya never know. If you think in there mind I wouldnt pay very much either...i dont know the health...no pedigree....could die when I get it home ect.

Pet markets can be funny. Try spreading the word around. Advertise where ever you can. Try lowering the price a bit. Make sure you are advertising properly......

Lets hope more people start wanting a cute inocent little bunny rabbits!!! ALways looking for ways to sell and keep the cash coming!!

·
OlivYew Farm
712 Posts
I can hardly sell pets in my area. There are plenty of people who sell poorly bred animals for $5 each. My purebred, health guaranteed rabbits can't sell for $10-$15. I try to avoid pet sales when possible and just sell to the show/breeding market. If a pet doesn't sell within 2 weeks of being available then I use it for dog food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts