Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little girl, Piglet, is now 14 months old and is still a Diva. She is having some sort of personal pig crisis since the weather here in Illinois got much colder. I really think she needs a buddy. If anyone knows of a pbp that could use a bossy friend I think we could work something out. Piglet is rather large for a pbp but she is generally very sweet. I would appreciate a considerably smaller pig this time. If anyone has advice on how to keep her happy in the house let me know. As a baby it was easy to put her on the blanket with toys but now she knows the wonders of the thicket and grass. I think she is mad at me that it's cold. Any advice is appreciated.

Coleen

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
We have cared for pbp's as pets for about 8 years now. Ours live outdoors exclusively and are quite satisfied to have their own pig houses and pig pens to return to at the end of each day. We have two castrated males now, 1 is approx. 15 years old and the other is approx 7 years old. They both are turned out to free range in the acre or so around our house during the day. At night they return themselves to their respective pens and "go to bed" for the night. Come wintertime, we make sure they have plenty of grass hay or straw for building a fluffy, big nest in their 3 sided shed houses. We had one pig that preferred to have us tuck him in each night with a sleeping bag after he had nestled down in his hay bed. Without the sleeping bad, he would toss and turn and shiver a bit, but with it he was snug as a bug in his piggy "burrito" bed. A friend of ours who has a spayed female pbp gave her a dogloo and several small blankets to make a nest with. Her pig free ranges during the day and gathers up loose hay from the hay barn to add to her nest as she pleases. She is a very particular pig, wanting things just her way, and this arrangement has worked very well.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm not sure what to say/don't have any ideas myself either :+( So i'm going to watch to see what answers you get. Here in WI it's cold again, and Lola our house pig is crabby about it - she gets outside playtime in the nice weather - but now refuses to go outside, and yet wishes she could - this means we are all on our way to another winter of cabin fever - ick. lol !

She and DH really argue a lot in the winter - she is crabby as she gets bored, and he gets upset about some of the things she thinks may be fun. hehe - so i'm all ears if somebody has an idea of what to do with them/give them in the winter.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Piglets latest trick is to come barreling around the corner barking like there's no tomorrow. This startles me and then, I swear, she laughs. She is very bored too. I wish we had pig play dates or something so they could at least bully eachother around for some entertainment. She chased the Fed Ex truck which is the only size thing she can probably see because her sight is so bad. Now word is out that the crazed pig lives here. The only other person I know with a pig can't get her too leave the property. I wish she had buddy.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe it is time to build her an outside place. She gets her feelings so hurt if we don't let her in. It's worth a try. She seems happier when she can forage and snurdle all day.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Thats so funny ! I bet she does get a kick out of scaring you !

Our UPS guy will go to the back porch in the summer if Lola is sleeping on her couch on the front porch, so he "doesn't wake her as she sure looks like she is enjoying her snooze " lol !

We are thinking this spring we will build her an outside place with her own "home", so she can get used to it all spring summer and fall, and then maybe even spend time in there next winter - DH is thinking this way she can be happy outside all day, and then come in to sleep if she wants to.

I'd love a piggy playdate - but just don't know anybody close with any pigs - and i could surely see her being a bully !

Whats wrong with your pigs eyesight ? I know they don't have the best, but our girl seems to see very well.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Piglet's weight issue is part of the problem with her eyesight. The other problem is she just happens to have a short nose and her eyes are naturally more squinty. I feel badly for her because she navigates by shadow and smell. I keep hoping to take some weight off of her and we have gotten her down a few pounds. Now that it is cold she won't be outside as much so she will put on weight which will make her wrinkles worse. I will try to downlowd a picture of her later.
Coleen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts