PET PB pig ??? thorngirl???

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by marvella, Dec 12, 2004.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

well, i did it. found a baby PB pig to adopt as companion for the other. he is 16 weeks, and appears to have been cut the way farm pigs are cut, as he has a sizable hernia on his abdomen. measures about 3 cm by 2 cm, on a less than 10# pig. vet will check him tomorrow and let me know the verdict. in the meantime, does anyone know if the hernia needs to be repaired, or if he can go on the way he is? at 16 weeks, it doesn't look like it is going to reduce by itself.

thorngirl- i know you have had similar problems recently. did you find out anything???

any and all help is appreciated. :worship: :)

2. thorngirl

thorngirl Well-Known Member

Our vet says he'll have to be operated on in another few weeks,he likes them to be 10 weeks old at least.The other 2 boys that had hernias went away by themselves but Paddy's is huge so there's no way it'll go down without help.I think from now on I'll just let the new owners have them neutered when they get them,it'll be easier on me and my worrisome self.

3. marvella

i haven't heard from the vet yet. to me, it looks like a pretty big hernia on a little pig. he might be 18" long, or less, and for sure less than ten pounds. he was bought at a flea market by a teenage boy, who turned him into the local animal shelter, supposedly for zoning issues. kid named him chong, so i wonder if at some point there wasn't a cheech.:) he is supposed to be 15 weeks. other baby pigs i've seen before had a little bitty scrotum, close to their tail. this guy has what feels like an empty sac, but it is swollen from there, all the way along to the end of his penis, with a reducable hernia about in the middle of that. seems happy and healthy, other than that. what a cutie! when the shelter worker bent down and made smoochie noises to him, he puckered up like he was trying to kiss her back!! haha!! yes, i am a fool for these pigs.:) thinking about calling him pete.:)

are we the only pet pig people on here? :eek: :haha:

4. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Marvella, does he show cut marks on his scrotum? what you discribe sounds awful, like there is bleeding under the skin. I have heard of that happening when the cords are cut. Instead of pulled out until they break. Which sounds horrible but is better because it stops bleeding sooner. >And I will buttout if you want me too.<
    >I almost lost a horse to short cut cords<

5. marvella

we are cool, thumper. :dance: there will be no butting out. :no: :D the thing about it is, these animals were brought here to be pets, but there is hardly any solid info out there. seems they make a better homestead animal than pet. i see why people tried to raise them for pets- they really have huge personalities, especially if they are not around other pigs. they are much more social and friendly out of the herd.

he was checked by a vet today, who says he is intact. i didn't get to talk to him, but a tech told me that his testicles are stuck up inside somehow. she didn't know what he said about the hernia, but i gave them permission to go ahead and close it up while they had him under. i really want to make sure he is thoroughly unable to reproduce, as my other girl has never been fixed. i really do not have the time, energy or interest to raise them for sale, or meat, and feel like i did a good job.

so, i'm willing to hear any and all ideas. this vet is 50 miles away, but supposed to know what he is doing.

i knew an old woman, years ago, who was a neighbor and taught me almost everything i know about canning and gardening and quilting.... how she carried rocks from the river, and washed the mud from every one of them to build the chimney of their log cabin, which is still strong and proud. she was a firm anchor in a time of my great need. she told me that one time she had the runt of a litter of pigs, that she rescued and raised in the house, and how people made fun of her. i don't mind being just like her.:)