Pet Doors

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Mar 23, 2005.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Having 5 four legged kids wanting in and out all the time I'm thinking of putting in a Pet Door.

What do you guys think of them?

big rockpile

2. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have one, mainly because the cat may not be the only beast that uses it. I wouldn't want the neighbor's cat, a 'possum, racoon, groundhog or skunk to use the door into the main part of the house. They can be rigged for one way operation, but then the cat would let herself out at 2AM, then want back in immediately afterwards if it is wet and/or cold out.

3. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

How big are your dogs? Pet doors work OK for small dogs, but if you have a large dog, what goes out can come in.A few years ago I had a raccoon that was comming IN my pet door & enjoying my kitchen.

4. Rouen

Rouen Well-Known Member

a friend of my moms has had coons, fox and skunks wander in through the cat doors.

another friend got rid of her own cat becuase it was going to the bathroom around the house cause a stray cat was guarding the litterbox in the basement, she found the stray cat about a day after she got rid of hers

5. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Up here on the mountain in Montana my neighbor has one for her mini schnausers (sp) and I dont think she has had any trouble so far. I keep thinking of putting one in for my springer spaniels, but one of them is big enough that a small black bear could get in the same doorway! So then i though of putting one upstairs going out to the upper deck? Maybe teach the dogs to use a sandbox out there LOL. There are pros and cons I guess if you are home all the time and or dont mind mice and other small varmits in the house --go for it and let us know what happens!

6. gonecountry

gonecountry Member

They have pet doors that are sensored to only let YOUR pet in the house. The cat or dog wears a transmitter on their collor and when the get close to the door, a sensor tells the door to unlock and let the animal in, then relocks to keep other critters out.

7. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

We have one in the garage that leads to the outside.
    When we are gone the pup can get herself out for potty breaks or into the garage for her food/blanket/water.

Works well for us------beats leaving the door open for her.

8. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I've herd tell of them. I'll bet those 'smart doors' cost a pretty penny. They also probably require specialized installation.

9. big rockpile

Well the largest Dog is 80#.The small Dog scratches at the door to be let in and has messed it up.Durring warm weather we have been leaving the door open.But we are getting A/C so that won't work.

big rockpile

10. Bonnie L

Bonnie L Well-Known Member

I had a pet door in my old house. It was made just big enough my my little terrier but when I got a german shepard he managed to get in & out thru the same door. The only problem I had was the cats bringing in their "kills" - which weren't always dead!

11. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

I LOVE MINE! Actually have 2, one is for the house and the other is for the garage. Look on Ebay, do a search for dog doors. You can find them less then retail stores.

I had to buy the super extra large [Have great danes] but the dogs can come and go as they please. We also have invisible fencing on 3 acres. Dogs hear something at night and they are out to check it out. Certainly keeps unwanted visitors away. My thoughts with livestock entering is that I doubt they would get far with 3 big dogs. :haha:

Only draw back is MUD. In spring when dogs are in and out my floors get trashed. I bought a $200.00 carpet shampooer that works well and do the carpets when needed. Long term plan is to put in hardwood flooring and eliminate the carpet.

12. big rockpile

Yea we are only going to have Carpet in the Bedrooms.My MIL says oh you want more Carpet than that.But we have to think of our Kids too on planning our House.

I let them out before I go to Bed then they want out about Midnight,then again about 5:00.Then they get in the mood where they want out every 15 minutes.I tell them I wish they would make up their mind.

big rockpile

13. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

We have 3 large dogs and have a Ruff Weather that's about 10 x 17. (double doors). I put a gate across the kitchen door so they can't get into the rest of the house due to the mud, snow etc. I've seen people build an 'L' shaped block tunnel on their garage, then put a door in the garage wall. I think it's safer. I've had to crawl through mine to get into the house :haha: I've been the only non-dog critter to use it. My dogs seem to keep everything away.

14. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I've put DD thru the pet door when we got locked out. Had a front door that would slam from the wind and lock itself. Never could figure how it did that and had to replace the lock. Anyhow, the worst thing about the door is kitty presents running thru your hair in the middle of the night. So they don't get a door anymore.

15. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Not real sure I'm happy with our pet door or not. I just replaced it tonight (have been living with a towel taped over the gaping hole in the door for a couple weeks). Our new dog ripped the old pet door off trying to get into the house. Solved that problem by letting her sleep with us! ;)

The cats do bring in birds, etc. some dead, some not so dead (luckily this has enabled me to save more than one birdie). I do worry about possums, etc. coming in through the door, but so far so good. They sometimes get in the garage, but never go further.

I guess I'm glad the door is there. With five cats and as many dogs going in and out I don't spend all day opening the door. It's not big enough for the dogs, but I can put them out in the morning and leave them out all day. The dogs aren't nearly as wishy-washy as the cats who may go out for two seconds and want back in!

And I like the fact that I can lock the flap and keep them all outside in the summer if I chose to do so.

16. k grandmaison

k grandmaison Member

My last 3 houses have had cat then cat and border collie doors. I wouldn't be without one ever again. k

17. Dixielee

Dixielee Well-Known Member

I have had big dogs forever and we have had doggie doors in our last 3 houses. We have a locked fenced area in the back yard. This way if we need to be gone all day or even longer, the guys are OK. We have left as long as 5 days by leaving them lots of water and a full feeder. They go outside relieve themselves, give the squirrels a little run for the money, then come back inside to enjoy the couch by themselves. When we are home, we leave the gate open and they have the run of the homestead. They can swim in the ponds, chase away preditors, or herd the goats back to where the dogs think they should be.

The only time we have had strange critters coming in was one cool rainy night a few years ago. My husband and I were awakened by the most horrible sound! I thought someone was killing one of the dogs. We raced to the door only to find one of our labs with a wet, white rooster in his mouth, bringing him inside. This was a new rooster, who had not been accepted by his peers and they constantly beat him up. We guessed they ran him out of the henhouse and he wandered toward the house when the dogs rescued him. We brought him in, warmed him up and forever afterward, he became known as H.C. (house chicken). He lives on the front porch at night, surrounded by his 2 girls he brought up. If we leave the door open during the daytime, he comes inside, jumps into the dog food bin, and helps himself. He will squawk at the dogs if they come to investigate.

We don't have a farm, we have a petting zoo!

18. tiny

tiny Member

We have 7 dogs and we have dog doors. Our dogs go out in a large kennel area.
    I would not be with out them.

19. cookcooks

cookcooks Member

In our house you can get to the kitchen through our garage. I put in two doors one in the kithen door to the garage and one in the actual garage door. It works very well for us. The cat has brought in a couple of things so far but when you have pets you get used to these things. Because of the doors I don't feel bad if I can't run home right after work because my dog might have to go to the bathroom.

The pets love the doors. The reason I put the "doulbe doors" so to speak is because it is more energy efficient and other animals are much less likely to come into the garage and then also come into the kithen because there are two doors to tackle. The pets catch on real quicly and there is a sliding panel in ours if I ever want to lock them in or out.

We live in the country and I don't really notice too much grime coming in. I did however put a carpet runner between the doggy door in the garage to the doggy door in the kitchen that probably gets a lot of the grim off beofe they come into the house. I know the cat seems to stop in the garage and clean himself before coming into the house.

20. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

I don't want to elaborate, and we are all OK. About a year or year and a half ago, we had a full grown man come thru against our wishes. It was not pleasant. I would be very careful that you get a door that is barely big enough for your dog to go thru, or find another solution to the problem.