Pet boarding in OK

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tractorgrl, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Tractorgrl

Tractorgrl Well-Known Member

Hey all!

Don't know if I'll get any replies for this one, but does anyone know of any reputable places either in Stillwater or Tulsa, OK or anywheres in between to board pets? I need boarding for 2 guinea pigs over the University holiday (about a month.) I had someone all lined up, but they backed out and I'd rather not bring the guinea pigs on a plane. I do have a few options for boarding already, but they want to charge me the same amount that they would charge for a dog. I would supply their food and bedding and they would come with a cage. I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere cheaper that was still reputable. Thanks in advance.

2. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Just an idea here but I used to manage a Pet Shop in Las Vegas and we boarded a number of pets that the usual kennel won't take. Guinea Pigs were among those along with parrots and other cage birds, snakes etc.

There are always animals in a pet shop that need care and usually people there who know what they are doing with them as many of them have special needs as you know...like your GP's needing Vitamin C just like we do.

So, just an idea but you might check out some very good pet shops in your area?

Good luck and have fun on your holiday.

LQ

3. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Just an idea here but I used to manage a Pet Shop in Las Vegas and we boarded a number of pets that the usual kennel won't take. Guinea Pigs were among those along with parrots and other cage birds, snakes, lizards etc.

There are always animals in a pet shop that need care and usually people there who know what they are doing with them as many of them have special needs as you know...like your GP's needing Vitamin C just like we do.

So, just an idea but you might check out some very good pet shops in your area?

Good luck and have fun on your holiday.

LQ

4. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how long of a holiday you're taking, but it might be cheaper in the long run to purchase an extra water bottle or two, one of those "hoppers" for food, and load 'em up!

clean the cage really well before you leave, fill all the water bottles, and give them tons of food. Have a friend/neighbor/FFA kid/ 4-H kid/ SOMEONE stop by ONCE to re-fill food and water and you're set.

5. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

Ask at vetrinary offices and animal rescue groups to see if someone would take on the job of pet sitter for your vacation.

I am currently watching a dog for an 8 month period while his owner is overseas (in the Army).