Pet beds

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Selena, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

If need be, I'll move this to the sewing/arts/crafts forum. When we move to the new house, I know the cats will not be happy kitties. They'll be spending time in the office which will have a window seat. I want to make them new beds - do you have any links or have you seen any patterns? While cedar filling is good, I think I want a softer type bed for them.

2. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

Dollar General has the twin size egg crate mattresses here for about $10.00 I think. That is big enough to make 2 big dog beds. Now if I could only sew the covers!!

3. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

packing peanuts are WONDERFUL filler. they don't smell, attract fleas, and are usually fairly cheap and available. Other than that... Comforters and old blankets are also good fillers. sew a "pillow top" the size you want it and stuff. If you're where you can find it cheap, I would line the top of it with black out material. Sometimes you can find scraps really cheap at upholstry fabric stores. That way you can have a designer bed with out having to wash the stuffing all of the time. No, I wouldn't use cedar. It's linked to respitory problems. I would probably use fleabane or lemongrass.

4. Selena

Selena proud to be pro-choice

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I buy cheap pillows (those $3-$4 ones) and use old wornout pillowcases, or make slipcovers out of fabric scraps for them. The cats love them and I can take the covers off to wash.

I also save packing peanuts to make dog beds out of. I make cases out of cheap acrylic blankets. I cut a blanket in half, fold and sew the edges together, stuff with packing peanuts, etc. and sew up the last seam. The dogs love them!