personality change with pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Raftercat5, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Raftercat5

Raftercat5 Kathy in S. Carolina

Our goats were bred about 4 weeks ago, so we're not even positive it 'took'. We do think this one is pregnant, tho, as her right side is starting to pop out a bit. She herself was bottle-fed after we got her. Her first 2 weeks at life, she was bucket-fed. We had a time trying to get her to take a bottle. Needless to say, she's not as close with us as the other complete-bottle fed doe. She will not eat out of our hands, but will tolerate being petted, and always comes to the fence to visit. Now that she's (hopefully) pregnant, she is definitely treating me differently. She paws at the ground when I pet her, and her back ridge goes up. She usually tries to butt my hand/arm thru the fence, and when I go inside the fenced area, she rears up on her hind legs and feins that she is going to butt me. She hasn't done it yet, but I've been keeping my guard up. She's never done that before. Is it because she's pregnant? Are her hormones out of whack? Or could she possibly be in heat, and not pregnant at all? She does not look puffy under her tail, so I really don't think she's in heat. I worry about how she will accept my milking her after she kids. This is her first pregnancy (and will be my first milking goat).
    I've been extra sweet to her, and have tried spending more time with her to get her more used to me handling her. What gives??????

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

My herd queen turns into a real witch about 3 months bred....we have to separate her

3. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

If it has been 4 weeks and no return heats, they are likely bred-heat cycles are almost always 21 days.You would not be seeing any change in her body yet,this soon bred however.Are you "smelling" different,like, petting the dog-that she doesn't like, before she smells you?Hair on end is a dominance type challenge thing-watch two does,greeting each other for the first time.Almost without exception, if you are present at the birth,she will lick you along w/kids-and accept you!

4. Raftercat5

If it has been 4 weeks and no return heats, they are likely bred-heat cycles are almost always 21 days.You would not be seeing any change in her body yet,this soon bred however.Are you "smelling" different,like, petting the dog-that she doesn't like, before she smells you?Hair on end is a dominance type challenge thing-watch two does,greeting each other for the first time.Almost without exception, if you are present at the birth,she will lick you along w/kids-and accept you!

Mammaof3: I thought maybe it was a smell difference, but there's nothing different. Same soaps, lotions, dogs, cat, and other goat smells. We only have 2 goats. They are half-sisters. They were raised together and get along fine. My husband never gets butted and she never raises her ridge-fur when he's petting her. Just me. Next time I go out to pet her, I will go out with freshly-cleaned hands. I'll post any changes. But I really don't think that's it. Could she be jealous of the other goat being petted when she is petted, so she's taking it out on me? It's just so strange.
    - Kathy

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I would spray her if she reared at me.....spray bottle of water....

Sounds more like she is challenging you for queenship.....

Incidentally I have a doe that likes to smell me in certain places like a dog would...she isn't rough or with attitude she just is a butt smeller.. :shrug:

6. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Our Jodie was always kind of stand-offish and wasn't a petted goat at all....but once she had that baby SHE turned into a big baby and loved to be petted and let me milk her out that next morning and everything....

So hopefully once Baby has her baby(ies) she will be the same way with us....I do not know when she bred because she was constantly in with the Billy so I am trying to watch her closely!

7. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We often see complete personality changes on some pregnant does. The ones that are loveable change to completely nasty and the nasty ones become loveable. Other does have no change at all.

8. Raftercat5

MPillow: I love your idea about spraying her with water. I just can't bring myself to hit her, that's for sure! I think the water should get her attention, tho. I will bring out a spray bottle next time I go in their pen. I noticed she butted the great pyrenees dog today, but maybe he deserved it. He's always wanting to play with her. She normally loves it, but sometimes, I guess he gets on her nerves... just like people, huh?
    Also I want to say thanks to everyone that replied to my dilemma. I sure hope she becomes "mellow" when it's time to milk her, like one of you said.
    I really love this place, Homesteading Today. I've learned so much here.
    - Kathy

9. apirlawz

apirlawz playing in the dirt

One of my two bottle-raised does went through a very brief period of rearing up at me. I just shoved her away while she was rearing (hard enough to throw her off balance, but not at all violently) like she was nothing but a passing annoyance, and when on with what I was doing. I wanted to basically instill in her (while she was still young and small) that I was much stronger physically, definitely dominant and "in charge", but not rough and reactionary. It's worked wonderfully with them. They are cuddly, affectionate and playful with me, but also well-mannered and easy to handle.

Water will work well!! When they started charging the gate when I'd come to let them out, I would first give them the "back" command, then a quick spritz with the sprayer attachment. The spray stopped the second they backed up. They learned (and retained!) that command after just a couple squirts. Needless to say, later that summer during some 100+ degree days, I felt like evil incarnate when I had to mist the poor girls!

In some ways, I've handled them a lot like large-breed dogs. I've tried to catch and quickly deal with all hints of dominance issues when they were young and small. Beyond that, I just accept goofy behaviour and call it comic relief! So far, so good!