Persistence Pays Off

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by big rockpile, Nov 3, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Made another bad hit on a Doe yesterday evening.I shot,she ran stopped,then went about 15 yards and laid down.I started towards her,she gets up and runs another 15 yards lays down. Well I'll wait an hour.Waited go towards her she gets up and runs again. Well I'll wait and look for her in the Morning.

Go out there this morning.Found one Big Spot of Blood that was it :shrug: I circled all up through the brush,nothing :shrug: Could have shot 3 other Deer,but I wasn't giving up on this one.

Finally decided to go get my Dog.Take him to that one spot of Blood,before long found my Deer.

I was worried because I shot her through both Hams.Well I only lost one of them.But I'm learning even with an off the Wall Bad Hit you can still get your Deer.

Now lets not have anymore of this stupid Bad Hits. :nono:

big rockpile

2. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

2 years ago I made a bad shot like that on a nice buck. I was using my 45-70 tho and that rascal didn't run anywhere. Ruined quite a bit of meat tho...... :Bawling:

3. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

BR why didn't you take another shot and finish her off? That's not even borderline cruelty that's messed up.

4. big rockpile

Couldn't get a shot because the brush was too thick! If I had been using a Firearm it wouldn't have been no problem :shrug:

big rockpile

5. jross

jross swamper

The fellow we let hunt here hit a six pointer this morning. The arrow glanced of the scapula evidently because the arrow was bent and there was no blood on it. The shot was quartering away and he said he aimed for the near shoulder. I told him he should have aimed for the far shoulder and behind the last rib, nicking the liver if necessary. He was afraid of a gut shot, but from a treestand, that shot behind the last rib should only get the liver , diaphragm, at least one lung and a major heart artery. Any thoughts?

6. big rockpile

If it bonced off Bone and didn't get inside,he won't find it.Like you said he should have been aiming for the far Leg.

big rockpile

7. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Bad hits happen no matter how much we care about doing it right.

You do it right in waiting before following.

Good on ya and congrats for making meat. You and yours will enjoy it for the coming months.

ps Take pics....<big grin>

8. jross

jross swamper

I am out back taking practice shots when my friend shows up with an 8 point buck in the bed. He took my advice about reinspecting the bent arrow and he found traces of fat on the shaft, indicating the arrow went through the deer. He started back where he last saw sign and found the deer in a row of blueberries. It always pays to go back and check again when there is chance an animal was hit.

9. big rockpile

Good going to your Friend.

What bothers me is having people say their going to help you and down deep they don't care if you find it.Or they wasn't there,so they really can't have ideas on how the Deer was hit.So you lose your Deer.

big rockpile