Persistant Sneeze And Cough

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Farmer Chud, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Farmer Chud

Farmer Chud Member

Another question, one of our new does (grace) has an occasional sneeze and cough. It isn't frequent, but it has been persistant since we got her over a week ago. My thoughts on this was to let her immune system try to whoop it and if it is still there in another week, start hitting her up with some Procaine? Opnions?

Cheers,

Jim

2. havenberryfarm

havenberryfarm Well-Known Member

I have a goat with a similar ailment. She doesn't seem to have any other symptoms, and her attitude is normal. The vet said not to be concerned unless her attitude changes and she doesn't eat as much or becomes lethargic. Keep a close eye on her, but if she only sneezes or coughs once in a while it is probably nothing to worry about. Just a cold. Give her a shot of goat serum and it should clear up.

3. Farmer Chud

Farmer Chud Member

Thank you. Yeah with the exception of the cough and sneeze, her tail is up, she is making those nice little goat pellets, and she plays king of the skateboard ramp with the other goat. I appreciate the tip on the goat serum. I did drench them both with an once of power punch when my Jeffers order came in.

Cheers,

Jim

P.S. Is that goat serum given orally or in a shot? I am looking at some stuff on Hoegger that looks like you give it SubQ.

4. mberryrfd

mberryrfd Well-Known Member

When our 4 boer does arrived at our place within a day they were all sneezing and coughing. After a lot of asking around we did come up with a conclusion.It was the move. the climate is a bit different here than where they came from 4 hours south of me and about 1000ft in elevation.Plus we had a real dry winter.Where they came from there was a yearround creek
    And now 7 monthes later it appears that they have adjusted and no more problem

5. Farmer Chud

Farmer Chud Member

That very well might be the issue. I know we still have a good bit of mold around due to Katrina and Rita. I ended up trying something called Vet RX which worked wonders. I just put 3 drops in each nostril 3 times a day for 3 days. (hmmmmm see a pattern here?) By the end of the second day, I didn't hear any more coughing or sneezing. Glad I was able to go the homeopathic route instead of pumpin full of procaine.

Cheers,

Jim