persimmons???

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by DayBird, Sep 27, 2004.

1. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

We've got lots of wild stuff growing on our new land. Passion fruit (maypops), pines and blueberries, oh my. Now we've found persimmons. I know better than to eat green persimmons. My pawpaw told me stories about green persimmons. Actually he used to say, "You kids make me so mad I could eat green persimmon ice cream."

They were a bright apricot color. They were bad. Really bad. We puckered for an hour but she wouldn't kiss me. :waa:

When are they ready to eat? Will they ever be good to eat? Are they poisonous to goats? Would anyone know if we could feed them to the parrots? Can they be made into jelly? (After the kudzu thread, I'm beginning to think anything could be made into jelly.)

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Pull them when they are golden, eat them when they are squishy soft, you will have to fight the goats for them when they are ripe. The parrots will be saying 'I love you" also. Then you can send me some seeds.

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Hubby always sets up his deer stand near the persimmons. :eek: :D

Moopups is right on...

And, you can make jelly out of anything! I've got recipes for wine and champagne jelly...but if you add enough pectin, you can jell sugar water....

Meg :)

4. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

What seeds do you have to swap? Naw, I'll send you some. PM me with an address. I don't know if I can harvest them correctly so that they'll germinate for you though. I guess there's too many variables to guarantee anything. I'll send you some though. Gladly.

I've googled some last night and they're supposed to be very high in vitamins and is highly recommended to feed to birds. I also learned that the pits in stone fruits (peaches and plums) can be deadly to parrots. I had already been told that apple seeds are poisonous to them. Whodda thunkt it?

(Golly gee what a day I've had. Not last night, this night. Tonight. I've googled some tonight...)

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

You eat persimmons after they have been frosted. You just stand by the bush and stuff your face, then pick some for the critters. Good jam.

6. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

See I knew it would happen. You've jarred my memory enough. Thank you. I told my wife that I remember something about the frost. We may not get frost until January. Can I put them in the refrigerator and then make jam?

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

You don't have to wait until a frost. If they're ripe they're good...frost or no frost. I've already been eating them (the ones I can get before the dogs find them).

After making Kudzu Jelly I'm moving on to Persimmon Jam. Picking them up and freezing the little suckers (should I say little puckers?) until I have enough to make jam.

After the first frost I'm picking wild rose hips and making more jelly. My Daddy is eating up every batch of jelly I make!

8. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

As I recall from childhood if they are ripe but still bitter they can be put in the freezer for a bit to get " frosted "