Persimmon Trees

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Randy Dandy, May 24, 2005.

1. Randy Dandy

Randy Dandy Well-Known Member

Could someone tell me an average time in aprox. years it will take for my yearling persimmon trees to produce fruit ?
    I know there are different factors involved in the results but I'm just looking for some kind of an average. I have google searched and cant seem to find an answer.
    Thanks

2. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

Your question got me reaching waaaay back in my brain. There's an old Japanese saying about persimmon trees, and I think it says something about waiting eight years, but I can't quite remember. Maybe American persimmons are different, anyway.

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

They don't take that long to produce,I would say 3 years.

big rockpile

4. Randy Dandy

Thank you both.
    I really hope its sooner than 8 ajaxlucy.
    I hope it's as soon as 3 big rockpile.
    Some guys at work had a guess of 5 years. I guess I'll know when the time comes. I was just curious. Thanks again.

5. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

The ones behind the house started producing fruit when they were a litter over 'head high'. Around 6-7 feet tall. I do not know the age of them though. Just make sure that you have enough trees to pollinate the fruit. One tree will not produce fruit.

6. Randy Dandy

Thank you Tarot Farm. I hope they start to produce as soon as expected.
    They should pollinate because right now I have 9 trees planted spaced 15' apart.
    Thanks