persimmon tree? Fuyou or not Fuyou?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Cyngbaeld, May 19, 2006.

1. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I planted a Fuyou Persimmon late last summer and it was leafed out really well (container plant) and lost the leaves in the fall. But never came back out this spring so I thought it was dead. Now it is putting out shoots and I 'think' they are below a bud union, but not sure. Any possibility I still have a Fuyou Persimmon? Or something ? else?

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

you now have whatever was used as a root stock. it could be many things. i would just replant it unless you contact the nursery and see what was used.

3. Cyngbaeld

Thanks, the nursery has gone out of business. So no help there! What is the rootstock likely to be? I'll prob try to get another Fuyou, but curious what it is.

4. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

It's probably still persimmon, and probably one of the Kaki varieties, but no way of knowing which one.

5. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

I also think it is rootstock shoots but the rootstock is not necessarily persimmon. It could be (and I am guessing) apple or pear or something else.

I have a Fuyu persimmon too. Grow well here in zone 8 b.

6. Cyngbaeld

Thanks, I'm in zone 8a myself. I'll prob leave it for now and go buy another, sigh, the apple trees didn't make it either and one of the peach trees died too. No wonder that nursery went out of business.

7. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

fruit trees are fickle for me. i know people who can grow them as easy as grass. if disease doesn't kill mine, ground hogs and deer are sure to.

8. Cyngbaeld

Chickens, turkeys, geese, my goats, the neighbor's goats, frost, drought, rain (high water table), you name it!