Persian cats

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by goatkid, Sep 18, 2006.

1. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to want to breed and show Persian cats. I bought one from a breeder at a show. She and I discussed the process and I decided not to breed them after being told that because of the size of their heads, the queens can have difficulty delivering kittens and also that new moms can be so stupid, they need to be taught to care for their young. I decided I didn't want to perpetuate a breed that had trouble having their young. I neutered my cat. A few years ago, I adopted another Persian from a breeder who was retiring her from her cattery. She was a "pig faced" Persian. Both cats had respiratory issues, especially the little female. They both had litter box problems as well. I had the male put to sleep a few years ago when he started ruining the rug and was also developing eye problems. Yesterday was a very sad one. Sara, the little female was getting old and her nasal discharge was getting worse. It was getting all over her fur and she was developing an odor. I spoke to our vet about having her put to sleep soon. Yesterday, she crawled up on my bed and I found her semi comitose. I sat with her until she passed away. I believe that the way she was bred affected her quality of life and led to her demise. I know the show folks are going for the really flat faced look and are breeding really extreme animals. This is harming them. If any of you folks out there are breeding Persians, I suggest going for the less extreme "doll faced" Persians. Besides looking sweeter, it's more humane.

2. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, what I will say will be a surprise because people know me..know that I don't have cats (used to in the past) I spoke with a well known Persian breeder in Clyde, Texas (she breeds beautiful fiery red coated persians along with himialyans). She said the problem with nasal discharge was because vets were injecting cats with shots that were using non killed virus shots? She said she gave her cats shots that had killed viruses and noticed a huge difference...the cats didn't have nasal discharges. Vast majority of vets don't use killed virus shots from what I understand. In her opinion, shots were what caused the problems. She didn't feed commerical cat food either. She fed them her own made up BARF diet and they were beautiful cats that didn't shed. I WAS going to buy one since I like their placid nature but my dogs didn't think it was a good idea, lol.

You could look into what's called the short haired persian (Exotics) and they tend to have less problems and are more active (compared to the long haired ones) but are more placid than most cats. Worth a try and there should be buyers because people like me like the placid nature but not the hair.

3. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

Anytime someone breeds for extremes not balance the animal/breed suffers. Sorry about the loss of your kitty.

4. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

I agree Ted. The himalayan cats I had were extreme did not have any nasal discharge. They had kittens just fine- never had a kitten get stuck nor did I have to teach them how to be moms. If fed a diet without corn, I found they do not get those horrible tear stains either. I also owned a doll faced persian and she was wonderful as well until she passed away at 13 yrs old.
    I will say that persians tend to be more persnickity with regards to litter boxes- some do not like to share, others it is the litter. BTW my persians also loved being bathed and were playful. I do know that persian show breeders are a very closed group and it is hard for newbies to break in- many will not let you use a tom for stud (even if you have a wonderful queen) and if they do- want you to keep it quiet as they will be ostracized- but they will sell you one for a hefty price.

Willow