Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
We had a hot (104) day, with muggy cloud cover, but by midnight it was nothing but stars. We took our blanket outside and all (including dad, who had a hard time staying away), laid under the stars to watch a georgeous show. My kids are 8, 6 and 3 and now they've all seen shooting stars.
We saw amazing streaks with lots of residual tail. It was awesome. They also watched cassiopia rise above the horizon and the big dipper dip. They showed dad sirius, their favorite star. What a great night!
Best wishes to all,
Tina

·
Registered
113 Posts
My youngest son and I got up at 3am and went to the top of the hill to watch the show. It was mighty pretty. There was one that must have hit the atmosphere head-on, because it zigged and zagged, then exploded, lighting up the whole sky. It was truly awesome! What a wrap-up for his week-long study on meteors and meteorites!
det28

·
23,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am afraid we will not be able to see them tonight either. It is still cloudy and very overcast. We have missed them for several years due to bad weather.

We did see the Leonoids a few years ago. Got up about 3 am and stood outside in the freezing coldfor hours. It was like the 4th of July!

·
mark an eight, dude!
721 Posts
One of the great joys of having no indoor plumbing, or I should say perhaps the only joy, is having a reason to go outside at 3 AM under a star spangled sky. I was out last night but I had forgotten about the meteor shower so I didn't look very long. Once last winter I saw a spectacular meteor that left a streak across the entire sky for a split second. Breathtaking.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I went out this morning at about 3:30. Didn't see squat. I guess the meteors were afraid of our 'Don't mess with Texas' campaign.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I was out on my deck about 12:30 am & saw 7 shooting stars in 10 minutes!
It was a beautiful, cold, clear sky

·
Registered
630 Posts
i saw a real nice show last night

1 - 11 of 11 Posts