Perseid Meteor Shower

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Melissa, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Melissa

Melissa member

2. Night Owl

Night Owl Active Member

We had a hot (104) day, with muggy cloud cover, but by midnight it was nothing but stars. We took our blanket outside and all (including dad, who had a hard time staying away), laid under the stars to watch a georgeous show. My kids are 8, 6 and 3 and now they've all seen shooting stars.
    We saw amazing streaks with lots of residual tail. It was awesome. They also watched cassiopia rise above the horizon and the big dipper dip. They showed dad sirius, their favorite star. What a great night!
    Best wishes to all,
    Tina

3. det28

det28 Well-Known Member

My youngest son and I got up at 3am and went to the top of the hill to watch the show. It was mighty pretty. There was one that must have hit the atmosphere head-on, because it zigged and zagged, then exploded, lighting up the whole sky. It was truly awesome! What a wrap-up for his week-long study on meteors and meteorites!
    det28

4. Melissa

Melissa member

I am afraid we will not be able to see them tonight either. It is still cloudy and very overcast. We have missed them for several years due to bad weather.

We did see the Leonoids a few years ago. Got up about 3 am and stood outside in the freezing coldfor hours. It was like the 4th of July!

5. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

One of the great joys of having no indoor plumbing, or I should say perhaps the only joy, is having a reason to go outside at 3 AM under a star spangled sky. I was out last night but I had forgotten about the meteor shower so I didn't look very long. Once last winter I saw a spectacular meteor that left a streak across the entire sky for a split second. Breathtaking.

6. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

I keep forgetting about this one. I watched the Leonids last year too. I just love star watching!!

7. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I went out at 4am and saw a few. It looks like it will be too overcast here tonight to see anything.

Mike

8. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    I went out this morning at about 3:30. Didn't see squat. I guess the meteors were afraid of our 'Don't mess with Texas' campaign.

9. heather

heather Well-Known Member

I was out on my deck about 12:30 am & saw 7 shooting stars in 10 minutes!
    It was a beautiful, cold, clear sky

10. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Well-Known Member

i saw a real nice show last night

11. southrngardngal

southrngardngal Well-Known Member

We haven't been able to see either. We have had a hazy sky the last two nights. Maybe tonight will be different.

southrngardngal-Jan