Permits

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CODIACRCMP, Apr 8, 2005.

1. CODIACRCMP

CODIACRCMP Well-Known Member

I plan on doing most of the build except some electrical and plumbing. Do I need design plans to get a permit? I plan on building a 16x24 "camp" for now and have designed it by myself.

thanks
    Danny

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Need to call your local building dept and ask them.

3. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

In our county, you need a set of plans, and 11 (yes 11) copies of your plat showing the building location. What the heck do they need 11 copies for? Anyway, you'll have to call because every place is different.

Oh, actually, check your county government website. They probably have everything listed, maybe even all the building code requirements. Ours does.

4. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Depends on your county. In ours, all we needed was a pencil drawing, square footage, rough draft sort of thing. This year though they added three inspections (all of which you have to pay for, of course): one after the foundation is in, one after the electric is in, final one when done. Since most houses around here wouldn't pass any inspections, I guess that's progress of some kind.

5. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

You are asking the wrong folks-we are from all over the USA (and a few from around the world).

Call these folks to find out: your county clerk, your city clerk, your zoning commission, your local courthouse, your local representative to any level of government, your local library to ask who to talk to!

That ought to yield an answer for you. Zoning can change quickly so online resources are not always up-to-date. Check locally. Really. Ask the people who will be giving you the permit. They know. We don't. Really.

6. texican

texican Well-Known Member

permits? what permits? we don need no stinkin permits......

sorry for that, couldn't help myself.

Our county is now not requiring permits, but if it's a commercial building, they 'require' you to file the paperwork at the tax office. Seems not too many folks were 'turning themselves in' to the taxman. Heck, I went 13 years before a silver spooned weekender neighbor half a mile away turned me into the taxman.

I can see the needs for the average joe to get a permit....so someone can tell him that his structure is going to blow over the first big wind that blows. But it rubs me the wrong way getting someone's 'permission' before I want to build something.

7. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

Got to call on this one. every town, community and county is different.
    I can build a house with a crayon drawing submitted to planning. They only thing they care about is well and septic being taken care of first.

County south of us you need a permit to put up a l swing set in your own back yard.