perforated angle iron for cage supports?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by bill not in oh, Aug 24, 2005.

1. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

I have. Find a metal fabricator in your area. They will have an area dedicated to what they refer to as 'drops' (scraps that they sell for pennies on the dollar). You may have to make several trips over several weeks to accumulate what you need to build a single cage - or maybe not depending on the volume of fabrication that they do.

It's much more expensive than hanging traditional wire cages.
    The angle iron will rust more quickly than good galvanized welded wire.
    The cages will be MUCH heavier than wire cages.
    Somewhat harder to clean/maintain.

One good application for this type of cage is to build "kindling cages" much larger than single rabbit cages. An adult rabbit with 7-10 babies can live in a 24X54" cage comfortably until they begin to provide 'biology lessons'. This is really only practical if you are selling the kits before they reach sexual maturity as then you need to put them in their own cages anyway.

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Okiemom, are you refering to cage frames made of angle, or frames for galvanized cages to hang from? This is not clear to me what you are asking.

3. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

How about pvc instead. Doesn't rust and it is easy to work with. I saw a stand that a guy had made out of pvc that looked really nice. You don't attach it to the cages....you make a stand out of it. You'd want to use a bit larger diameter than normal....over 1/2 inch I'd think. Wish I had a picture. Here shortly I'll start making some for myself. Any suggestions on how to make a reasonably priced droppings pan?

4. Kumi_Ori

Kumi_Ori Active Member

I used perforated angle iron in my rabbitry. We love it. I will try to put a picture in this message but if it does not work here is the address to see pictures on my site http://www.montanarexranch.com/rabbitry.cfm

Okay, can't seem to attach the picture. Anyone know how to do that?!?

5. Kumi_Ori

Kumi_Ori Active Member

Oops, I forgot to mention how. We attached the angle iron using a bolt and large washer (the large washer will clamp the cage wire to the angle iron), from the inside of the cage put the bolt the wire and the perforation in the iron and followed with a smaller washer and a wing nut (for easy tightening). We did this front/back and top/bottom so that there are 8 points of attachment per cage. This makes them sturdy enough for one person to move.
    Hope this helps.

6. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Katharine

I may have misunderstood your question. If you are asking about making the actual cages, I would discourage that and that's what I addressed in my original reply. For racking to hang the cages from, angle iron would work well (as nicely pictured in Kumi-Ori's website).

My first choice is to find racking like the big box stores use for shelving and is probably how I'll build the new and improved rabbitry next spring. I'm toying with the idea of putting heavy duty casters on the legs so I can move them around easily.

7. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies,

to explain,

I am looking into making a "rack" system for my cages. My cages are all wire. I need to hang them from the angle iron and support a second set underneath. the "story's guide to Rabbits" has this system in it. They call the perforated angle iron "Dexion" The only place I could find it was in the U.K. That's too far to ship to Oklahoma. ;-)

I have 10 foot section cages (4 hole) and I was wanting to support it and have a second cage (10ft section) underneath. I was going to put the corregated plastic/fiberglass roof panels underneath the top one to protect the cages underneath.

The cages are going into a carport so the roof is not going to support this. the rafters/supports are in the wrong place.

I have angle iron but was hoping to be able to bolt it together so if I didn't have cages in the future I could use the sections for something else. Also, I can bolt things but hubby has to weld... for now. ;-). hubby is very helpful but I try to keep the honey do's to a manageable list. It's 3 pages so far. hehe. :nana:

8. okiemom

Any recomendations as to where to get it? Any metal shop? Is there a "size" that works best. What about thickness/guage?

1.5" or 2" perforated angle iron?

1/8" thick?

am I on the right track?

Is there a smaller size that might work and be cheaper?

thanks all.

9. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Perforated iron is more costly than ordinary angle (without perforations). Is there any reason you need the more labor intense product? It costs more because some one had to creat the holes.

If you can find it at a steel supply, offset angle would work well, one side being 1 inch the other being 2 inch, mounted with the bigger area vertical. Active rabbits will eventually cause the angle to bend or sag if it is not big enought, 1/8th inch should be thick enough to avoid bending. It would not be hard to assemble the end pieces, just drill matching holes and use bolts.

10. okiemom

Went to Lowes to see what they had. WOW it is expensive. Just like you said moopups.

I broke down and asked hubby what he thought. He said teh angle would be better if it was thicker. $20 or so an angle is no too bad. that is doable compared to what lowes was charging.

I guess I will just have to make hubby help and be extra nice to him for a while. :)

11. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

1/8th" by 2" angle was about $8.00 per 20 footer last time I bought it.