Perennial Questions

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mrs. Homesteader, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Mrs. Homesteader

Mrs. Homesteader In Remembrance

Well, I am putting some of my flower gardens to bed for the winter. I have a couple of questions. How far down do you cut perennials? I have some bee balm that I can pretty much see where to cut. How about Stella D' Oro lilies? Do you cut them down? Mine are still blooming a wee bit. I also have coreopsis. It is all brown and dried. Do I cut the entire upper part off?

One more question. I have a beautiful fall mum. A big stem with lots of flowers fell off. Will I be able to root this, or should I just stick it into a vase of water and enjoy the flowers?

Thanks for any help.

2. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

stella d'oras i don't cut down normally but when the fans start to brown, cut them down to about 1" above the soil. mulch a bit and let em sleep.
    coreopsis, cut down to about 1/2" above crown.

mums you can take cuttings and root them for next year,just put in greenhouse or sunny window.
    when rooting, just cut stem into 3 - 6" lengths, make sure you have several bud joints in each one, at the bottom of each cutting wound the 1/2" from the bottom by scraping some of the skin off and dip in root hormone like dip n grow then stick in moist warm potting soil. Keep moist not wet.

3. Mrs. Homesteader

Mrs. Homesteader In Remembrance

4. northstarpermie

northstarpermie Well-Known Member

I don't cut any of mine back at all. I figure it's a great insulator for the winter up here. I also mulch & then pile the snow on top of them for more insulation when we have a bad snow year. In the spring when the fear of frost is just about gone, I will then cut back any dead parts. As for mums, I think I may have to get some next year.