Percy Schmeiser mp3... about 42 minutes long.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Nov 16, 2006.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Excellent seminar given a few days ago by Percy Schmeiser .

Worth a listen to if have followed Percy's case against Monsanto.

2. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member Supporter

Cool ZY! I guess it boils down to whether you believe him or Monsanto.
    I'm not sure how the mechanics of corn pollination works, but I believe his
    side of the story. Does anyone know how fast a gene could enter his
    crop and then become the "70%" that Monsanto claims it was? Just curious.
    james
    ps
    I'm also pretty sure that Monsanto embellished that percentage figure as well...they had to make an example out of someone.

3. tamatik

tamatik Well-Known Member

Mr Schmeiser is a classic example of how one person CAN make a difference..That is why Monsanto will stop at nothing to beat him into the ground he has toiled for decades.
    Gord IN BC

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

You don't know much about pollination, and you got the wrong crop entirely (corn is a grass, works very differently than rape/canola) but you feel confident you can pick the right side on this issue.

:)

Heck, you might be right even!

But, it's all just feelings & emotion isn't it? You really don't know anything at all about this case, or even one fact about it right? You pretty much totally proved you don't know anything about it at all.....

:)

I understand, most of us do the same.

Just trying to share a smile with you, don't mean anything at all by it. :)

Issues like this are always about feelings, not facts.

Unfortunately, I suspect any facts in this highly publisized case are _long_ gone, and this whole thing only hinges on public emotion. No facts left any more.

--->Paul

5. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member Supporter

My Bad! Canola samola!! Big deal I forgot that it was canola. Do you know
    how long I have been hearing about this case? Years! I do know that BOTH crops are susceptible to contamination. Are they not? I don't think my question is unreasonable (or uninformed!). How reasonable is it to believe that a "large percentage" of a certain crop can be contaminated in a very
    short time w/o the farmer knowing it? How fast does this process of contamination work? This I truly don't know. What is your opinion on the
    matter Paul? Any others?
    james

6. rambler

Didn't mean to be picking on you, just sorta fell into place on me there. ;) Actually, some time ago on this site, I accidentally said he was growing soybeans..... Oops. :)

Nearly all corn grown for grain - the only type that is GMO so far as I know - is hybred crops, where seed is not saved. The 2nd generation offspring already would not be worth harvesting - low yield. The pollen can cross tho, but it is basically a non-issue. With the corn pollen & silk & a very narrow window of fertilization, the process can be pretty carefully controlled, if one wants to. This is how they make hybreds - detasseling & all that.

Canola is very different. It self-pollenates itself within the flower, and does so over a longer window, and the pollen is available for a longer period to float around on field edges. Controlling the process would be difficult.

Your version of what happened to Percy could be possible - what he claims.

He was breeding seed lines, and another possibility is that he planted his seed next to the neighbor's GMO stuff, collected the seed, planted that the next year, sprayed it with glysophate, & harvested the results.

This would give about a 70% result, which could be fruther refined the following year.....

Back in the day, he may have believed that would be a way to get the GMO trait into his seeds without signing for, buying, or otherwise being involved with the company.

(Frankly, I would agree with him on that - but the laws in both our countries say otherwise.....)

The courts have spent a lot of time hearing out the various sides on this. I've followed it off & on too.

I do not know which side is legally right. Percy paints a nice story, & has the underdog card in his corner. On the other hand, getting to the 70% rate _without_ any effort on his part is very hard to believe. That gives me a lot of pause on this issue.

Probably like you, I don't totally agree with the actual laws that are in place on the big picture issue. But, we are bound by the laws we have even if we don't like all of them, & need to work within them or get them changed before we break them. It would not break my heart if those laws were changed, not a t all.

So I don't know that he did anything wrong according to my moral standards, but I suspect there is a good chance he flubbed a bit on the current legal standards - tho there is a small chance it happened by accident.

My long-winded view. :)

--->Paul

7. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

Excellent! I heard about the case on Beyond Organic broadcast on Sirius radio. :)

8. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

From the reading I did on his case the cross contamination came from plants growing in the road ditches. It was also shown that he never had bought any roundup so he had no use for there genetic resistance to Monsantos herbacide.

9. seedspreader

The problem is that Schmeiser didn't use roundup or glysophate

10. rambler

This is where we come to the touchy-feely part of it all. :)

Most of you believe in your hearts that such GMO things are just horrid aweful things & _no one_ should mess with them at all. So, it is very easy for you to simpley believe this - after all it is a reflection of your life.

He _says_ he didn't use glysophate. You are adding your own to the story. You don't _know_.

However, it is pretty easy to have someone else buy glysophate for you; it's pretty easy to borrow a sprayer; it's pretty easy to pay cash & buy some a county or 2 over...... People tend to hide their tracks if they want to try to slide something by......

It is _possible_ he actually did spray glyophate. I am open to that possibility.

It seems many of you simpley turn your beliefs into facts, & take one side on an issue like this. Just based on belief.

Me - I don't know. Scientifically some things Percy says don't add up very well. His version becomes a bit of a stretch in some areas.

I don't know what happened. There are 2 sides, and not any hard evidence either way - no smoking gun. Either position is possible.....

Now, I'm not building the noose to go after the guy. Frankly I hope he gets off. But we - none of us - have enough facts to _know_ hat happened. There is a lot of grey area on this case - and that is why it has hung around so long.

It certainly is an interesting case, & is important on many different levels.

--->Paul

11. seedspreader

No actually it's not touchy feely... the courts found that he didn't benefit from using roundup technology. Can you show otherwise?

12. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

<< Canola is very different. It self-pollenates itself within the flower, and does so over a longer window, and the pollen is available for a longer period to float around on field edges. Controlling the process would be difficult.>>

http://www.honeybeeworld.com/misc/pollinating.htm

Canola is pollinated by bees, which means the pollen can travel long distances on them. It could be a mile or more apart and still have some cross pollination.

An interesting case going on now with citrus: http://www.cfbf.com/agalert/AgAlertStory.cfm?ID=588&ck=DACA41214B39C5DC66674D09081940F0

<<Concern by Paramount Citrus about damage to its mandarin crop caused by bees pollinating neighboring crops in Tulare, Kern, Fresno and Madera counties has prompted the company to demand that nearby landowners keep beehives at least 2 miles away from its groves. >>