Percentage meat goats... help me understand.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by seedspreader, Jun 2, 2006.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Looking at getting boer goats. To sell for meat, strictly for meat, someone please help me understand percentage goats.

Would I really only want "pure bred" for show's and the purpose of selling to other breeders.

How intensive is the breeding program you should follow for selling meat goats?

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

percentage heards are made and should be made by getting a pure bred buck of the best quality and breeding him to basically what everdoes you have available,
    dairy works great, also Spanish and Kiko make good crosses,
    you can keep the doelings to breed back to the pure buck and get a higher percentage animal with a better meat carcass

raiseing goats for meat basically involves useing the best buck you can get, and then feeding the resulting kids to get them to a good market size, differint market likes differint sizes, but generally 100lbs is a good size more is better in alot of markets, you just will need fast growing animals

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Bob, if your just going for meat production.....percentage Boers is what you want! I love my percentages. For the most meat, I reccomend going with a good FullBlood or Purebred Boer buck and does that are 1/2 Boer-1/2 dairy. They are easier keepers than straight dairy, and give lots of milk to raise those kids FAST and FAT. The 3/4 Boer kids ought to be meaty and put on the pounds quickly. There are debates on which dairy breed crosses the best with the Boer......But seriously, if the dairy doe is long, thick, with plenty of bone....it doesn't matter about what breed she is, you'll get good meat kids from her. You also want to pick does(or doelings out of does), who don't have saggy, draggy udders. A perfect udder doesn't matter, but it should be high enough, with small enough teats(none of those banana teats), that newborn kids can find and suck on their own. And don't worry about the ears on your does! Some folks like the Nubian/Boer cross the best because their ears match and the kids ears don't look funky. But for meat production....who cares?? If she has airplane ears(straight out from her head), beautiful, long, floppy ears, or no ears at all(Lamancha cross), doesn't matter as you won't be eating the ears. And I have found that the LaBoer(Boer/Lamancha) is an awesome meat cross.
    Don't know if this is truly the answer you were looking for?? Anyway, hope it helped and ask on!!=)

4. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

Hello Bob,
    I raise Boer and Boer Crosses in SE Michigan (Not to far from you) for meat and some registered stock for folks looking for show/breeding stock.I've got a good registered buck(went to TN & picked him up last year), but if you are just strictly interested in raising meat goats you don't need the registeration papers, just find the best possible buck available in your price range. I'd recommend boer cross does or any others with long/thick build.
    Do you know who will be purchasing the meat goats from you, because that will define what size and when they will want them. This area is looking for 10-12 week old kids at Easter and larger (but under a year old) the rest of the time. I'm completely sold out of young cross bucks this year and have sold many of the unregistered young does to people looking for pets or breeding stock. I've got 100% registered stock at a reasonable price, but may be holding onto them for a while, because there just isn't as large of a market for registered stock in this area.

5. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member

What is the best thing to feed them to get them to butchering size quickly?

6. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

Mine are boer /kiko crosses.They keep easier than most full blood boers.Mine have sold at 5wks and up.Depends on the buyer what they want.I do have some registered stock also.But people aren't wanting to pay the price right now.I am selling the unregistered crosses.Can't keep up with the demand for summer bar-b-ques ..Thats good and bad...I need more goats to keep the buyers happy.

7. KSALguy

LOTS of alfalfa hay, all the brows they can eat, and grain, but you need to be carful with the grain and also have amonium chloride and bakeing soda on hand all the time for them,

8. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

It would be great if all our Boer crosses produced bucklings but they like to stick those doelings in there. :rolleyes: I left the horns on the doelings I didn't want to sell as breeding stock because I didn't think they were good enough and the person who bought these kids for meat questioned me on it. I guess they believed any doe should be bred. Unfortunately, they don't weigh as much as the bucklings at the same age either so you don't get much for them as meat.

9. papaw

papaw Well-Known Member

Our plan is to use a Kiko buck over Nubian / Boer nannys .... Several folks in the business have recommended this mix as an easy to care for and productive percentage meat goat. From what I've learned, the percentages are healthier and carry more meat than the full bloods.

10. KSALguy

depends on what full blood your talking about, Kiko is a good range goat but not nearly as big and meaty as a Boer, but a Boer buck over Kiko does is a good cross, also if you dont want to spend as much money on a Kiko you will get the SAME type goat if you get some Spanish Does from a good line not just the cull type,
    get the BEST boer buck you cant get, i had an EGGSfile buck that at 3years old (still growing mind you) was 375lbs and put LOTS of muscle and good bone structure on his kids, i used him on Spanish, Dairy mix, and Boer percent and full blood does and got Great results,
    the Kiko and Spanish is just built differint and have such a narrow more Vertical build you dont have the width for lots of massive muscle
    both are good meat goats, they just dont have the same body stiyle to adaquatly compair to a boer