Percentage Boers

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milking Mom, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Please explain what a Registered percentage Boer is. I am looking at purchasing a 75% Boer doe. Does that mean she is 25% something else but is still registered as percentage Boer because she looks more Boer than whatever else she has in her? :shrug:

2. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

Not necasarially-could have just come from "unregistered stock"-take "any goat"-breed it too a 100% reg. boer buck-resulting DOE kids can be registered 25 % Boer-Breed the 25% too a Registered 100% boer buck-resulting Doe kids could be 50%--so on--even if you have a "pure boer"-but never papered--you have too follow above pattern. Buck kids cannot be registered until 98% i think-(i think actually it may be less than 25-50-like 5 generations instead of 4 too get too "pure boer"..confused yet? ) :rolleyes:

3. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Mamawof3, hate to get a tad off subject or throw off milking mom's original question but I also need advice regarding Boer Registration. Milking mom I hope this helps you also!! Once again I'm sorry to butt in, however both questions are related. So finally here is the question:
    I have 6 100% full blood word of mouth from the original breeder Boer Does.
    I have 1 100% full blood word of mouth from another breeder Boer Buck.
    None of these animals have official paperwork but it's physically obvious that they are of the pure Boer Breed. Now that the background is over, are you saying that when my 100% unregistered buck breeds the 100% unregistered does and the offspring at best can only be registered at best Zero % Boer???? I haven't found the time read up on this subject so I hope I made myself clear and you all can help. Thanks as always, Tennessee John

P.S. the more I think about the more I'm not going to like the answer...Oh well let me have it...thanks

4. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

Yep, that's how it works. You have to use a REGISTERED full-blood buck to have offspring registered. Bucks have to be (I think) 31/32 pure boer to be eligible, so that's... ummmmmm... 5th generation???? I think. Math is hard. lol. So, at best, if you get a registered buck and breed him to your does, the doelings out of those breedings could be registered as 1/2. The bucklings would be unregisterable. Sorry.

5. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

its all about the paper trail, if there is nothing to PROVE that what looks like a duck and sounds like a duck and walks like a duck is in fact a duck then what you got is NOT a duck in the eyes of ANY association,

if there is ANY way that you can trace their family tree back to a registerd 100% animal AND get each subsequent animal between said registed animal to the animal you are dealing with now registerd THEN you can talk turky with them but with out a paper trail your more than likely up that one creek eveyone has heard about.

the sad part is that there are Percentage animals that LOOK JUST LIKE the real macoy, SOME of which actually look better than some PAPERD stock and if there wasnt the Paper trail PROOF and all there was to proove an animals pedegree was word of mouth there is NOTHING more than someones word that the Duck was actually a duck there could be all kinds of problems.
    this is why you need the PAPERD 100% WHAT EVER breed buck to be able to paper anything, you can only Register what has a paper trail

6. topside1

Great info everyone, KSALguy especially liked the part about the creek.. Thanks

7. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

There is a option for the unregistered does. The USBGA will let you register as 50% if they have the dominant boer characteristics. I'm not sure if you have to send in pictures with the application or what exactly. (I'm at work so can't look it up in the newsletter that was mailed.)
    Anyway, if you get the does registered 50% and then get a registered 100% buck, the offspring could be registered 75%.

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually a goat of any breed(registered or un), bred to a REGISTERED Fullblood Boer buck, produces doe kids and you register them as 50% Boer from their sires side. Breed those 50% registered Boer kids to a registered FullBlood Boer buck and you get a 75% Boer doe.....and so on untill you get 15/16ths Boer and the does become American Purebred. It takes one more generation(31/32) for the bucklings to be eligable for registration.
    Doesn't matter how Boer a doe looks, unless she has a registered FB Boer sire, she cannot be registered. I have a 7/8 Boer doe. She is unpapered. Even though I *know* she is 7/8th Boer, her kids can only be registered as 50% when bred to my FB Boer buck.
    So for the original question: a 75% Boer doe can be *just* 75% Boer blood, or she *can* be as much as 100% Boer blood. It just depends. But she only has enough generations of registered Boers behind her to be papered as 75% Boer. :)

9. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, sorry to say thats the way it works. You can have 100% Boer goats, but if there is no paperwork, the resulting kids will not be registerable. You would have to buy a Registered Boer buck and the resulting kids could be registered as 50% Boer and work up from there. You can't work up to Fullblood, but you can work up to Purebred.
    And it is not physically obvious that they are of the pure Boer breed or not. As with any breed of goat(or cow), I have seen percentages that looked every bit as pure as the Fullbloods of the breed. Its amazing but true, that they can hide traits of the other percentage very well. Not saying that yours aren't 100% Boer......just saying that it is not obvious just by looking, that a breed(any breed) is pure or not. :)

10. topside1

Interesting, thanks for everyone's advice and knowledge....Tennessee John