Pepper Roasters

Discussion in 'Market Gardens' started by JAS, Dec 27, 2006.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Okay, I've seen it mentioned that some markets have vendors roasting peppers at their stand. Please share with us any info about this: what type of roaster and where you can get one, what legal issues are involved, good recipes.....

Thanks.

2. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

I bet you would need the same license that you would need for kettle corn and the such

3. I bought a pepper roaster last summer from Bass Pro catalog. It holds about 18 peppers. There not very big holes so you can only use small peppers such as Jalopeno's or small bannana peppers. But I haven't seen any other kind of pepper roaster with bigger holes.

Delicious!

4. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I have found that a search using "chili roaster" works best. These are quite large and expensive. Does anyone use these?

Also, I have heard that you can get around the regulations by selling the peppers first and then offering to cook them. Not sure if you could charge for it or not--might have to do some adjustments in prices....

5. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Well-Known Member

I rebuilt a large one for a local restaurant here in New Mexico. It was about the size of a 55 gal. drum. The main thing is that you want it to turn VERY SLOWLY, so that the skin on the peppers blisters, but does not BURN. The peppers (usually Anaheim green) will roast perfectly.

Then I put them in "baggies" and freeze them. When time comes to cook some, the skin practically "falls-off" aand they are much easier to peel.

All of the chile roasters that I have seen were made of "expanded-metal" (like "wire-mesh"). Most of them around here are "homemade".