pepper plants

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by steff bugielski, Jul 26, 2005.

1. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

I have beautiful plants but they are just now starting to flower. I know that too much nitrigen can cause lots of foliage and little fruit. I did not apply any compost to that part of the garden since last summer. I did mulch heavily with hay leftover from the goat hay racks. I have lots of purslane in that garden so that tells me it is very rich soil .could it be too rich. The plants are only about 15' tall and are setting out tons of flowers. I set the transplants out June 1st. Next year I want red peppers in July . How can I do that.
    steff

2. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

What variety are you growing to get 15' tall pepper plants? Hope you get an answer because I have the same problem with good looking plants and no fruit.

3. steff bugielski

I have lots of different ones, is 15' tall or short.
    Ariane
    Bell Boy
    Cyklon Polish
    Buram
    Jalepeno
    The catalogue says 60 days to green, 70 to red. If I set out on June 1st The best you can hope for is August 15th. But I am just getting flowers now. I should have had flowers July 1st. Is that enough time for a plant to grow from seedling to flowering- one month?

Steff

4. steff bugielski

OK I'm stupi. I meant 15" tall. I even went out into the garden with the ruler to see if I was right.
    Steff