Pepper plant

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Maggie, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Maggie

Maggie Well-Known Member Supporter

I have one pepper plant still growing in the garden and we're supposed to get snow flurries Thursday evening. Can I somehow keep this plant going in the house until the peppers get big enough to use? This is very late in the growing season here in the UP, so covering it probably would not help. Thanks is advance for any ideas, Maggie

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If you dig it up and transplant it, it would most likely die. The best odds I can see would be to put a large rose cone over it when the temp gets below 40. What kind of pepper is it? Most peppers are edible even though they are still green.

3. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

You might not kill the pepper plant if you dug it up but it would try to abort any fruit or flowers it has on it. i would go ahead and pick any fruit it might have on it.

4. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I must disagree with you Uncle Will:)

I dug up my pepper plants and put them in 10 gallon pots. It took a couple weeks, but they look great. I will be bringing them indoors to a sunny window for the winter. Don't bring them inside right away--let them adjust to being repotted first, then let them adjust to the indoor humidity later.

Next spring, I'll have big plants to plant outside, instead of those puny seedlings you get each spring.

5. Cindy in NY

Cindy in NY Well-Known Member Supporter

A couple years ago, I dug up two pepper plants, potted them, and brought them inside. They didn't produce anymore peppers but like Mid Tn Mama, I had huge plants to put outside in the spring!