Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our regular customers came in today and gave us a jar of what he called " homemade pepper jelly". He said one of his buddies had made it last year and has since passed away. It is red in color, [ which he says he thinks is "fake" color ] and it is tangy but not even close to being hot. Any idea if I can buy this in the store or anybody have a recipe?

·
Always Thinking
3,296 Posts
I make Hot Pepper Jelly all the time. Give it to family as holiday gifts, and sell it at our local farmers market. I do not use food coloring, although some people do add either red or green food coloring to their recipes. I think it's prettier without the food coloring...the pepper pieces are suspended in a clear pale yellow jelly. (LOL...I also avoid artificial food colorings and artificial flavors when at all possible.) Many, many farmers market customers remark how pretty it is in the jar without any food color.

Although you use hot peppers to make the jelly, it's tangy rather than hot. Most recipes use enough sugar to balance out the heat of the peppers. Leaves a taste that can be described as "tangy" or "sweet-sour" or "hot-sweet".

I shared my recipe in this post on the Gardening > Market Garden forum earlier in the season. Here's a link to it:

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=270937

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Usually people add green food coloring - red is different! I don't put any food coloring in mine. It looks just fine the way it is. This is my favorite recipe.

Jalapeno Jelly

3 Jalapeno peppers
4 Bell peppers
1 cup white vinegar
5 cups sugar
2 pouches liquid pectin

Remove seeds & run peppers through food grinder, using fine blade. Wear gloves. Use all juice. Put all ingredients except pectin in pan, bring to a boil & boil for 10 minutes. Watch that it doesn’t boil over. Remove from heat. Add pectin, return to a boil, & boil hard for 1 minute. Pour into ½ pint jars, leaving ½ inch head space.
Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Makes approximately 5 jars.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
you can buy some good pepper jelly from Tabasco, look up their website

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
One of the tourist-y Amish places near my in-laws sells either pepper jelly or pepper jam, and it is completely red but I don't think there is food coloring in it. I didn't think it was hot peppers, it tastes like sweet peppers to me. We have a jar of it downstairs, if I remember I will look at it tomorrow.

Kayleigh

·
Crazy Canuck
4,172 Posts
My recipe is almost identical to Bonnie L's but it calls for red bell peppers (no food color) and only 1 pkg of pectin, also 3 tbsp lemon juice. Use same amount of jalepeno peppers, sugar and vinegar. Boil for 3 minutes, add pectin and boil 1 minute. Skim off foam. Makes 4 1/2 pints
Boiling bath process for 10 min.
Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
I don't make it, but Rothchild's out of Urbana Ohio makes some hot pepper jelly that I am addicted to. Sounds gross but you wouldn't believe how good it is.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I serve it on Ritz crackers with a dab of cream cheese on the cracker and a dollop of red pepper jelly on top of the cream cheese. Addictive!

·
Metal melter
7,152 Posts
I make it also and don't use any food coloring. We like hot stuff, so I use all hot peppers...no bell peppers at all. We like to use it as a condiment on sandwiches.

·
Registered
307 Posts
DH makes some jelly with habanero peppers - one version has yellow/orange bells, and the other is straight habanero. Both turn out yellow/orange naturally.

I thought I would hate the jelly, but I am addicted. A little dab on a cracker with creme cheese - GOOD STUFF!

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
Alright, I went through the cupboards until I found the jar that we had. It is "pepper jam", and since it is jam I guess it has more mashed up pepper than a jelly would be. It doesn't have food coloring, but it does have corn syrup, which surprised me. Like I said before, it is from one of the touristy Amish places near my in-laws. It only says it is made with peppers, doesn't specify the type, so my guess is it is like Sanza's and Bonnie L's with sweet and hot peppers.

I have several rows of peppers planned for our garden next year, but after seeing how easy it would be to make this stuff, I think I'll need to plant a few more!

Kayleigh

·
Registered
644 Posts
My mom used to make it and give it out as gifts. We put it on ham, steak and pretty much anything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts