Pepper gardner needs help

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Paranoid, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

Hey, I grow habaneros and jalapenos, and have never had any problems that i didn't directly cause.

now i am trying to grow something that is insanely productive, and i thought, tabasco might work. it's moderately hot, and every picture i've seen has the plant loaded with fruit.

my habeneros are my favorite, but they just dont produce as many as i want, and thats with about 10 plants. i need more, as i turn them into powder and a big bushel of fresh fruit becomes a small vial of powder. so unless someone can tell me of a habanero strain that produces peppers like it was the last plant on earth trying to repopulate its species, i am going to try tabascos.

one problem though, my variety (more of a cousin) has never germinated. I am trying peat pellets this time, about 5 seeds to a pellet, hopefully one will germinate. How long have you observed it to take to get tabascos and their close relations to germ?

but if someone knows of an extremely high yield habanero i'd like that info too. as it is now i have grown the red and the orange habies, once i started eating these i gave up on all other peppers because they're so good. it's just that the production seems to be about 10 peppers per plant per season, and that is a complete travesty, i am still buying more than i grow.

2. kemrefarms

kemrefarms Head Weed Wrangler

Hey Paranoid, try using lots of good compost, even planting in nothing but compost. Also provide a lot of P and K, (N-P-K) I use a 1-5-5 and lots of water. I have had Hab. plants that got huge and the plant was loaded and I picked several times. The plants at the end of the row always grow the biggest and best from all the water. I too like to dry the peppers and make chili dust. I had some in the back of the cabinet that I forgot about and took the lid off and gave it a good whiff---whooooooooooa, bout lost consciousness.........

3. Paranoid

yeah i really dont want to switch peppers, unless it is to try something new that might possibly be better than habies. they are just so good, but i wont rule out something being better.

maybe my soil wasnt good enough, but before i grew i turned in the skeletons of some fish i had filleted.

all my problems though came from fertilizing the peppers, once i burned em and they lost all their leaves. bleh.

i grow generic orange habeneros, i heard a rumor that there is a habenero that is a super producer, but i dont know what it is. i'm not hot for growing the red habie peppers because reds are usually too sweet.

habeneros are really getting expensive for me though, i wonder if it is worth it to grow them inside under a flourescent light during this winter. probably not though, considering at the supermarket they never know the code to ring up habaneros and invariably charge me for jalapenos, which cost 1/3 as much.

i'd buy it bulk already powdered but i see prices from 24-200+ for 1 lb of powder, and i hate preservatives or other additaves so that holds me back from that route too.

maybe this year i will try your idea. what do you think about me getting a bag of composted cows manure, turning it on end, digging a hole in the ground large enuff to accept the bag, then slicing a tiny hole in the plastic for the seedling to peek out of with a couple holes in the bottom for drainege? that sounds kinda good actually the more i think about it as i write this, it should remove any chance for weeds to compete too, and it wont dry out due to the bag helping to hold moisture.

4. kemrefarms

I have read stories of people using that particular idea, growing right in the bag. I suppose it can work. Seems to me when i had the prolific growth of my Habbies I was using Miracle grow, before I jumped on the organic bandwagon. Every year I look at the wonderful huge healthy plants that sprout out of my compost pile on their own, and vow to grow only a few plants with a dripper for each plant using that compost. But no, my disease pops up and I have to plant a bunch of plants (just in case sort of symptom) and fight with all kinds of weeds, probably wasting too much water, etc.....Compost is a wonderful thing. Leaves on the plant were as big as a tire.

5. Paranoid

which miracle grow? i used some tomato grow to the tune of 18-18-21 and i either see no result or i put too much and burn them. best success so far was just leaving them alone haha.

snails are another problem with my peppers.

i am going crazy right now though, i used up the last of my powder today, and the last of my fresh garden grown yesterday. i'm in trouble. my last bastion of hope is a little bottle of marie sharps habanero sauce i picked up at the store on a whim. it's good, carrot and lime and garlic in the mix, but it isnt hot and its very small. i dunno, maybe i should just bite the bullet and buy that overpriced powder.

6. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

Try chille de arbole. Or fish peppers. I hear they are proliffic. Have you tryed a pepper sause instead of a powder>
    The peppers need lots of heat to germinate.

7. Paranoid

i eat some sauces, i do like marie sharps habanero sauce, and i sent away for a free sample from Habaneros of Texas, should i choose to buy from them it will cost $13 for 3 lbs of sauce, no idea what shipping will be.

but i prefer fresh chiles and powder, since i make my own sauces, i dont want someone elses mass produced sauce interfering with my own.

8. Paranoid

maybe i should just go all out one year... buy 1 lb of habaneros from the store, harvest all the seeds from them, plant them into a prepared plot via open broadcast and see what happens. I'd love a pepper infestation.

how i do it now tho is mostly thru cloning, since you dont need to dick around with germination like that.

9. Heritage

Heritage Well-Known Member

what's the best way to clone peppers? I never seem to have any success with it. Thanks.

10. Paranoid

well one way is just clip off a branch and soak it in water until it sprouts. another, better way, is using a rooting hormone, you can buy it at any garden supply store as either a powder or a gell. all you do is cut the branch, moisten it so the powder will stick, dip it in the powder and plant it in the pot. i use peat pots so i dont have to disturb the rootball again. anyway, it takes about a week to root out with the hormone, maybe less. without the hormone the chance of it developing roots isnt anywhere near as high either, with hormone it is close to 100% chance.

you just need to cut enuff branch so that it can replicate itself. it is entirely possible to root a leaf, but a leaf can never be a new plant, it doesnt have the nodes to continue on.

11. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

Some super prolific peppers we have grown are those Jamaican scotch bonnets and Thai dragon chilies. But we have soil that creates giants. Our habaneros usually get about 3 feet high and produce more than 30 peppers per plant. The only problem we have is a short season, many don't ripen before the frost. I would say Thai dragons would be the most 'super' pepper that we have grown. The plants get about 4 feet high and produce over a hundred peppers per plant. The peppers are smaller than a habanero in regard to volume. I'm not sure if they would give you more or less in a powdered form. They are especially tasty if you make any kind of Thai food. Ohh, the delights of Thai chilies and Thai food. It's time to sprout some mung beans, I feel a craving coming on.

The scotch bonnets also got about 4 feet high and produced probably 60 or more peppers per plant (which did ripen before the frost). The peppers were larger than habaneros. We had so many, we didn't know what to do with them. I wish we'd have thought of pepper powder.

12. kemrefarms

At the time I used just the plain all around Miracle gro with no specific target, not like "for tomatoes " etc. I would feed them once a week and never got any burn. Lordy, if I had any dried peppers I would ship them to you just to keep you shaking Paranoid!!!! You got the pepper thang bad!!! My vote still is for compost. I also make sure to us epsom salts on my peppers and tomatoes, wow does that stuff work. just sprinkle on the ground around the plant. I am a big believer in compost tea also, it works great.

13. Michael83705

Michael83705 Well-Known Member

Cayenne grows gangbusters for me, is easy to dry and string and lots of people want it both for culinary and medicinal use.

Just something to look into and dream over seed catalogues about. :)

14. Paranoid

hee hee. I found a source of the Peruvian White Habanero (the parent of the other one i mentioned above), some guy had this to say about it:

I bought the seeds instantly.

I cant wait!

15. Jennifer Brewer

Jennifer Brewer Jennifer

I grew two habenero plants this last summer and they were by far the most prolific of any pepper I've ever seen. They had at least 20 peppers at all times. And it kind of sucked because those little orange buggers were so HOT I could barely give them away. WAY too hot to cook with. For me anyway, the jalepenos are plenty heat.
    I wish I had known you liked them. And I wish I knew what variety they were. i got them at the farmers market.

16. Paranoid

no worries, i have 7 orange habby plants going right now, although the drop in temp has slowed them down a bit.

they're just too common!

but i'm good, if those peppers i ordered are half as good as claimed I will be in hog heaven next year.

next year will be amazing!