People who haul water......

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by texastami, Apr 28, 2005.

1. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

Can you give me some ideas where to look for water in my area??? We won't be putting in a well until AFTER we move and I want to have water available after we arrive.....

We are planning a water catchment system for future use, and plan to tap our spring... but for the SHORT TERM, I need ideas on where to buy water....

I can't afford BOTTLED water (8 bucks a bottle kills me!!) and I am unable to locate a SINGLE deliverer of BULK water in the S MO area...... (into a cistern or water containment system)...

Might the local fire department do this??? I was thinking LARGE WATER TRUCK....

If you are anywhere around SE MO or N AR and know the answers, or just want to share your advice, please do so!! I need all I can get!!! :)

TIA!!

2. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Is this for drinking or just for bathing and animal water ?? Perhaps your fire company has an old tanker truck they would "lend" you for a donation !! or call around to the people who empty septics !!(whew!!)..not to use their truck for water but maybe they know of some ideas for you. Call your local cooperative extension service they just might be able to help you out with an idea or two. For drinking water I guess you will have to have one of the companies bring you the huge bottles of water like the water coolers on jobs have....shouldn't be too expensive and perhaps even cheaper if you bought the whole unit. Good Luck and let us know how you make out !!

3. texastami

texastami Zone 7B Supporter

Oy! Those are the bottles I am talking about.... And the units ARENT for sale..rentals at $10.00 a month..... UGH!

I will give the co-op extension service a call... thanks!

4. TabletopHomestead

TabletopHomestead Well-Known Member

We intended to haul water short-term and we're going on 6 years. LOL. We've finally got the solar system purchased to develop the spring and hopefully that will go in this summer. We use 55-gallon plastic barrels and get our water from my fil's in town. We use about 200 gallons per week for household use. We use a sawdust toilet and compost our humanure. We do a little laundry here and take the rest to town. Livestock water is pumped with a gasoline pump from a pond into a 700 gallon overhead tank. Where we came from in western Oklahoma there were coin-operated water stations in the small towns. Here in south-central OK there's no such animal. Hauling water will definately teach you about water conservation.

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Tami , I buy drinking water for coffee and tea at Wal-Mart for .58 cents agallon here in north central texas . I can't imagine that it would be 8 per gallon , even where you live but maybe I'm naive. Old stainless Steel tanks from dairyies would be an excellent container to haul water in . If you have a 3/4 ton pickup and a 2 axle trailer you should easily beable to haul a 1000 gallon tank of water with no trouble . Leave the tank on the trailer and pump the water off into another tank that is Inside your home . I'm sure Nevada winters are much colder than texas . ..fordy.. :)

6. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Our water froze this winter, and our neighbors went dry in a drought a few years ago. Standard issue on any farm around here: the 300 gallon water tank mounted on the back of the pickup truck. In your region you could simply run the water out of the truck through your household system by gravity feed. In mine, where it would freeze rock solid, it needs to be emptied into a cystern in the basement.

Either way, we were able to get water from the firestation taps, and also from the outside taps at my husband's employer. My employer also offered to let us use his outside taps to fill the tank.

Our truck maxed out at about 250 gallons, which, even doing wash, is 4 days, comfortably, of water for us. 6 if we are careful.

7. jrw422

jrw422 Well-Known Member

If you can afford it, this will turn pond water into drinking water.
    Berkey water filters

I have one and filter our city water with it. You would not believe the difference. The set up I have is the same one shown and will do up to 5000 gals depending on the contamination. Its a gravity filter and works great in my opinion. Takes awhile to filter (couple hours to do a gallon) I just keep filling and storing in jugs when we have heavy use around canning time. Give it a look see and give Debbie a call and get one. You won't regret it.

8. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

when i lived in vt. my well ran dry all the time i use to call a dairy farmer for a small fee he would fill his tanker and fill my well for me try asking one of them

9. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

We always caught Rain water in Poly Tank.we had to empty it every so often get fresh in it,but it worked well,we didn't die.

I'm looking at one at local Farn Supply 1,500 gallon,$380.But you won't need one near that big.

We used Wringer Washer to do Laundry,had Outhouse.

Whats bad we had someone stealing our water,we have a good idea who was doing it.But never caught them.

big rockpile

10. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

I had my well drilled first to make sure I had water. Then I provided water to a few of my neighbors. They would come with their tanks or barrels or bottles to fill. You could ask a neighbor if they could provide you with water and just have a tank on a truck like someone suggested to gravity feed to the house. Some people insisted on paying me for water. Most offered to pay but I was just glad to help.

11. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

Oh, they are for sale all right, check flea markets in your area - or there is a guy on a street corner parking lot near me in Houston who has plenty of them!

12. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Most farm supplies will carry the 1500 gal poly tanks for cisterns and the smaller 250 or 500 gal poly tanks that fit in the back of a pickup for hauling water. In CO we bought our water from whatever town was close that had a water dept. Most of them had some sort of bulk water setup. When you get where you are going check with the town water dept first. If that is a no go you might try to find someone who will let you fill up from their tap and pay them for the water you use. I'd be developing that spring in a hurry, myself and doing a water catch too.

13. billooo2

billooo2 Well-Known Member Supporter

You might also check with a local business that sells swimming pools. They often fill the pools as part of the installation. Around here I see "tanker trucks" with various signs describing that they are "selling" water.

14. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

for me the quickest, easiest way way for me to haul and store water was in water bed mattresses.

I found a store that had special orders no one picked up.. and bought them new and cheap!

I had a hill so it made it really easy to gravity feed the water down. The waterbed acts as a bladder, hooked to a hose, and press and water starts to flow.

This makes it easy to empty from a truck, though I couldn't personally haul more then 300 gallons in my truck (it had overloads on it) and it made it a bit squirrelly if I went too fast around a corner. But all in all in a pinch this worked very well to haul water.

I laid a tarp on the ground and the mattress, then a tarp on top. Unloaded the water from my truck to the one on the ground. Now my truck was empty and could be used for other things. I also added a couple drops of bleach but since I wasn't drinking the water it was good enough for livestock, bathing and hand washing. At first the water smelled like plastic cause it was a new bed, but after a week or 2 that stopped.

I got water from friends, work, an airport a few times...any place there was a facuet! I always asked "Can I use your faucet to get some water?" they though my car must have over heated! I never explained.

15. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    I have a friend with 5 children who has been buying jugs of distilled water at Save A Lot for years now for drinking and cooking. For bathing they just connected the gutters of their house to a water tank outside and they use that for bathing, laundry, etc. When she uses it to wash dishes with, she boils it first and then adds a tsp. of bleach. They still say it's cheaper than connecting to utility water. Tractor Supply sells large plastic water tanks for potable water.

16. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Tammi: We dont have a well yet at our place in Missouri. Now when we visit our place we go to our neighbor who kindly lets us use his well to fill up 2 or 3 5 gallon plastic gas cans. we can usually get by with this much water for a day if we arent too clean. :) Of course theres only 3 of us. You'd need a bit more. However when we first started going and before the neighbor made his kind offer, we used to stop at a gas station nearby. They had a good well and an outside tap and they used to let us fill those gas cans for free. Also if you go to town to the water company water tower, they will usually sell you water by the gallon at the going rate. You have to bring containers. If you can get a nice poly farm tank and a trailer for it, Id go that route. Save on trips and less trouble. Ive been thinking of doing that myself.

17. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I used a tank that I bought at a farm supply, I think it was for fertilizer? Anyway, it was new and uncontaminated. I think it was a 65 gallon tank, it was round, but flat on the bottom with a spigot. We used that for eight years, hauled it in the back of a truck or a suburban and filled it up various places, one friend had a good well, one truck stop had a big set up for trucks to fill their radiators, etc.

hollym

18. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

We use a Big Berky for our drinking water, as our well is very fickle.
    Before we got our 3/4 ton and tank & pump, we would go to gas stations, or whereever we could find a tap and fill 5 gal jugs. You can get them cheap at wally world...in the camping section. Now we just drive down to our creek and fill'er up! lol! 3 or 4 trips and our well is full again....
    That Berky is worth it's weight in gold. We use it for our drinking water (even city water) and trust it completely. going on the 5th year with it, and need to replace the filters, finally.... but I highly recommend it.
    I have gleaned some really good ideas of where to get water myself!
    Our water out here has lots of minerals in it, and is really bad for canning.
    Right now we are able to get it from work without any problem when I am canning I get 10 or more gallons at a time.