Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
A teeny bit goat crazy
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Halloween pranked. All my pumpkins were stolen, my hay was spray painted as was the cat I couldn't get to come inside, and someone opened my gate. My goats and rabbits are still here but I'm missing a few chickens.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
That's really mean! I'm so sorry. People have completely quit that stuff here.
As kids, we were never that mean. Just tp in trees or maybe egging the house of someone we truly hated.
Wish you had an idea who could've done it.

·
A teeny bit goat crazy
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've NEVER had that many trick or treaters. Maybe a few friends, but this year I went through 50 glow sticks and 24 clappy hands toys. I'm sure it one of the groups I had to turn away

·
A teeny bit goat crazy
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pumpkins I can live without. I don't really like the cat but she didn't deserve that, the missing chickens were old awaiting and bound for freezer camp, and I am beyond pissed that there is paint on 20 bales of hay!

I can't afford to replace them so I'm going to have to scrape it off the best I can and hope for the best.

·
Premium Member
10,398 Posts
OMG Squeaky, that is just terrible! Yes, such behaviors just suck!!

Reactions: nehimama

·
Registered
841 Posts
it is why i keep my place light up like a Christmases tree on Halloween lights tend to keep trouble makes away

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
We didn't have 1 trick or treater and I had my lights on and Blossom put up or so I thought apparently she got out of the barn and snuck up on the porch...so now I have tons of candy I have to eat now. She really likes people but people are scared of her.
Hedge trimmers sound like a good idea.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. Yes, people suck! I'm not positive on this, but I think that your goats will not eat the spray-painted part of the hay. I know the first thing my girls do is smell their hay, and if it doesn't smell right they won't eat it. I can tell you that my girls won't eat weeds/grass/browse that has been sprayed with herbicide until about 12 to 24 hours after spraying. I would think spray paint would be the same way but, again, I'm not positive about that.

·
A teeny bit goat crazy
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OMG Rudy is a little wobbly on his feet. Started yesterday afternoon. Crappy coincidence or foul play?

I took him to a goat friend who gave him a shot of Bose and some other stuff. His eyelids are still pink but a little pale so she suggested worming him. He always pulls hay from the feeder and eats it from the ground so that fits. I'm out of wormer (ivermectin paste) so what should I get? It has to be a fairly large brand because I don't live near any large feed store chains, just mom and pop ones.

Is there any way it could be mineral/salt block related? They have loose minerals out but won't touch them so I picked up a pink Morton block that was at the grocery store because 3/5 of them had a horse block at their former homes and like those. Rudy isn't one of them but he does whatever the girls say. (Lol)

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
He could have been fed something weird. Maybe start of polio/listeria. I would give him some Thiamine asap. Won't hurt if it's not polio.

·
A teeny bit goat crazy
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That I did. But all the feed stores were closed so I have to wait until one opens this morning to worm him. I fear meningeal worm :(

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I don't know if unsteadiness would indicate parasites unless it really bad enough for severe anemia to cause weakness. I treat for barberpole if I see pale gums, but of course a fecal would tell the tale. I have found Ivermec is okay for an average wormload but doesn't cut it for heavy loads.
Did your guy eat any of the paint hay as that could be toxic.
Usually deerworm will be wobbly on rear end. Wobbliness could also be polio/listeria. Is he otherwise acting/eating okay? I would absolutely give him thiamine or Fortified B.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts