People sharing germs

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by wildhorse, Dec 19, 2006.

1. wildhorse

wildhorse Well-Known Member

We had a huge Christmas dinner at the fire department.One of the ladys brought a little girl that was sick with a stomach bug if that werent bad enought she allowed the little girl to play with all of the little babies and toddlers Im guessing there will be alot of sick people at Christmas.Not to mention people with respatory bugs. I think its really rude to share germs. Ive got to go back to the department to fix fruit baskets tonight but boy I dread it Ill be taking germ ex for my kids but I worry they will get sick. Why are people so inconciderate? :help:

2. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

cause they don't know any better or just don't care! When we're sick we stay home...plain and simple. A few years back when we had the flu (came down with it while at the inlaws) I barricaded us in the downstairs room. No one was allowed down there except dh. He'd been looking forward to that week for months and wouldn't ya know it within 24 hours of getting there one of the kids got sick. Anyway all I heard (thru him) was that we needed to go to the hospital. Why? what exactly were they going to do that I wasn't doing already? Why would I take a sick child and expose them to more germs? When I finally came down with it dh decided it was time to go home.......We're actually all fighting something now. I've been sick over a week, oldest dd has it and a couple are coughing, we're supposed to go to the inlaws this weekend.........don't think we'll make it.

3. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

We are a couple of old geezers and are both fighting something. I had the first round - tight cough and just tired feeling.

The husband now has had it for almost 2 weeks - his is affecting his head and bad cough.

Now - I seem to be having another go at it.

We have been out and about doing some shopping for remodeling materials and who knows where we got it.

I had a friend and co-worker that was several years older than I and also she had grandchildren long before I did. She would tell her grown children if they kids had the sniffles to not bring them around. She said it was twice as hard on her and her husband since they got older. I thought she was really being kinda nasty. Until I got older and she is right - it hangs on forever. What is just sniffles in children, sometimes turns nasty when you are older.

4. Clifford

Clifford Love it, or leave it...

My kids only seem to get sick when we are away from the homestead. Sunday school, the YMCA...people do share their germs. It's best to have a gerimcide hand cleanser with you and use it when ever you are "in public" and touching door knobs, or shaking hands. It may sound a little paranoid, but it worked for me for years as I was always making contact with people in my job. At home, when someone is sick, I take Lysol and a cloth and wipe down all of the door knobs, light switches, faucets and railings to kill all the little nasties. It seems to prevent reinfections...

5. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

I do the Lysol thing as well.

I also sent the oldest to middle school with a big container of hand sanitizer and told him he could share it with his lockermate or anyone else who wanted to use it.
    So far only a small cold.

Last year by this time he had 2 severe colds and a resulting sinus infection, then strep throat and then walking pneumonia all through Winter break. Very sick little boy last year

It irks me to no end how many people send their really sick kids to school or show up at the workplace practically on death's door.

It amazes me how few adults cover their mouth or nose when they sneeze/hack/cough. bleh.

Wherever we go, the boys also report to me that only a small percentage of men in washrooms ever wash their hands. They tell me that they are often the only ones washing. DH has confirmed this as well. EWWWWW.

They are always just completely disgusted and were quick to understand why I don't like them touching doors, cart handles and such in public places.

6. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

People probably think I'm strange because I carry sanitizing wipes with me at all times. I use my electric cart to shop and when I use a public restroom, I wipe the railings and toilet seat. After, I use another to wipe my hands, the carts handles and my cane handle. Then I take that wipe to open the doors to leave and use a fresh one to clean my hands. I've been known to hand Roger one to wipe the handle of the shopping cart too.

I figure that i'm not only eliminating germs for myself but for others too.

As for taking sick children out or going out myself when I'm ill...no!

7. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

I've gotten rather obsessive about this this past year too. It has always annoyed me when people take sick kids to church, come to work and cough all over or whatever but it has taken on new meaning this past year. I'm currently imunosuppressed and if I get sick it could become really ugly. In an attempt to stay out of the hospital, I carry wipes in my car at all times and Germ X in my purse. I make my kids wash hands between every few stores and do the same myself. In church they have clear instruction (as do the teachers) to stay away from anyone who is sick and to wash hands between Sunday School and church. If I KNOW there's a pile of stuff going around, we all stay home. I clean my hands after the "greeting" session if we are there. Fortunately most of our friends know my situation so for the most part they have been very supportive and careful to warn me if they have so much as a sniffle. DS was supposed to go next door for piano lessons this afternoon but his teacher called me this morning and said she has a child with a temp of 102 and white spots in his throat. I REALLY appreciated her giving me advance notice! There are plenty of things in life that are great when shared. Germs are NOT one of them!

8. Tonya

Tonya Guest

I hate it when folks do that, too.

I have drug babies and they get sicker faster. One of my 2 year olds is a thumb sucker and she gets every bug known to man no matter how much I germ-x her.

My brohter and SIL used to be the kind of folks who drug their sick babies all over. Used to just burn us up when they did that. I have 4 kids now and we stay home a lot because one of the kids is sick. I refuse to take my darlings out if they are ill. Now that my SIL is back to work and her kids are in high school she agrees with me. That's nice, but can I have all of those sick days I used up back?

9. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

One of the reasons people seems to get sick more often than they used to is that we are becoming obsessed with killing germs. Nature has provided us with an immune system which learns to fight off infections if we are exposed to them. If we kill germs, we aren't getting exposed to them enough, and our immune systems forget how to fight for us! We're asking for trouble by being 'too clean'.

I don't advocate living in filth and squalor, and I think it's wise to take sensible precautions, but I do think a lot of people tend to take things to extremes. If you think about it, we NEED certain bugs to survive!

I probably wouldn't take a sick child to a party - not fair on the child, for one thing! But while those babies and toddlers might have caught an infection this once, next time they'll be able to fight it off more easily - having been exposed to it in the first place! It's entirely possible the mother of the sick child did everyone a favour - in the long term!

There are always two ways of looking at things, to balance things out. There always has to be a middle road. Frankly, I think people these days are germ-phobic! They forget that we need a little dirt in our lives.

I once lived in a small town where there were distinct lines between the Haves and the Have Nots. If ever there was a bug going around (flu, measles, whatever) you could guarantee that the children of the Haves would catch it - but the children of the Have Nots were rarely ill with anything. You have to ask yourself why this is so, don't you?

10. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Well sorta. You also have to wonder how many of the Have Not's children were still alive to get sick. There is certainly a time for germs and illness. I went to public school and was a germ magnet there for plenty of years. My kids survived a number of years in Russian orphanages. Right now we're having a few years where we are trying to avoid germs. I hope it isn't a life long thing but who knows. We're still working on tracking down the cause so I have no idea what the solution will be. In the old days people often died from pneumonia or other illness. Hopefully we've learned a thing or two to help us stay alive longer.

11. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

If we have a fever we stay home. I missed church three weeks in a row because of sick kids (then I got it.)

I think people go overboard with the antibacterial soaps....they kill bacteria GOOD and bad. Antibacterial soap WILL NOT KILL VIRUSES. Our family Dr advised us not to use them, just plain old soap and water.

http://www.wisegeek.com/is-antibacterial-soap-actually-harmful.htm

12. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

It has been my observation that people with children believe they are entitled to take them anywhere they please and in any physical condition. A week or so ago a waitress tried to sit be next to a very obviously sick child whose hacking and coughing could be heard clear across a busy restaurant. I demanded to be seated elsewhere because *I* didnt' want to get sick. I am constantly and endlessly amazed at parents who inflict their sick children on everyone and anyone with impunity.

It is rude beyond belief and parents like this should be ashamed of themselves.

donsgal

13. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

When my kids were smaller, the youngest just a couiple weeks shy of 12 months and the oldest 29 months, we went to holiday festivities at grandmas just like always, but someone brought a bug with them along with thier gifts. I had 2 puking babies for a solid week and then I got it. Dh didnt get it but he did manage to threaten to never come to holidays ever again if anyone dared come sick at one more function. All I can say it, thank God for hardwood floors, because there was no way I would get those germs out of carpet.

14. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    There is currently a worldwide epidemic of norovirus going around--thats the 'stomach flu' that isn't really a flu. It is also the virus that keeps nailing people on cruise ships.

102F with spots in the throat is probably strep, though on rare occasions a case of diptheria will turn up in some vaccine-phobic family. Diptheria is reportable to public health for tracking, if I'm not mistaken.

Old geezers with persistent coughs may have pertussus--'whooping cough'. Or may have developed pneumonia after an upper airway infection (especially if they got better then worse). Doc visit would be wise.