People dying to live in Garfield County

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Bruce in NE, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

This is an incredible story of what it's like to live near gas wells in Garfield County, Colorado. What makes it even more unreal is that the people interviewed mostly 1. Think the government will save them and 2. Except for one couple, gave lame excuses for not moving away from the area. Some of those interviewed seemed like "homesteader types."

I also found it strange that the writer failed to quote anyone from the government or oil/gas industry.

Nevertheless, I'm thankful I don't live near this place.

http://www.oriononline.org/pages/om/06-6om/Clarren-Voices.html

An excerpt:

Deb Meader, 48, is a nurse, a mother of three girls, and a new grandmother. She lives in the town of Parachute, approximately two hundred yards from five gas wells.

"You can't live next to a gas well and not get sick. We look around on the mesa and everyone's got something. The guy below us had a real bad heart attack. The guy that owns the orchard has prostate cancer. I have headaches. Tom, my husband, has high blood pressure and gets headaches. Regina, my daughter, she had burning like you have a bladder infection. I did some research and found out that's a symptom of exposure to the chemicals in the air. My other neighbor, she's been sensitized to what's in the air because a gas well burped while she was irrigating. That's when gas builds up and they don't have the proper lids and filters on the top and it burps up and the gases come out. If she goes outside without a respirator on, she gets vomiting and diarrhea and her eyes will burn.

"Last summer, they were doing a lot of flaring up here, and my neighbor and I both woke up in the middle of the night, throwing up, with diarrhea and muscle pain. We called the sheriff's department and the EPA and then found out that there was a couple wells flared during the night. It's just a big revelation for me that it's okay to assault people and no one's held accountable for what they've done. We're not protected by the government or the law. This isn't the country that I thought I grew up in."

2. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

That's an amazing excerpt! I guess, once they bury a few family members, a light might go off. "gee, maybe I should move?" What a story. Kind of like here in PA. We are the second largest Mercury pollutor in the country (Texas is #1) and the coal plants pump 10,000 lbs/YR. of one of the most toxic metals known to man, into our air. The governor probably has suceeded in passing a law that greatly exceeds the federal standard, and will eliminate 90% of the poisoning. We have legislators who are working their butts off to block this effort. Why? Because they are bottom crawling little lap dogs that are owned by the utility industry. Amazing.

3. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

Amazing is right. How would you be able to move. Who would buy your place? I sure wouldn't. If you want to read a good book check out Bobby Kennedy Jr's book Crimes Against Nature. The coal mining industry is just killing people too.

4. Bruce in NE

If I had to choose between getting prostate cancer or abandoning my property, I have no doubt which choice I'd make.

5. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

True. I would probably just drive, live in my car for awhile if I had to- The goverment really needs to take some responsiblity and help these poor people, aint gonna happen though. :shrug:

6. hillsidedigger

hillsidedigger Well-Known Member

I have worked in the energy fields of NW Colorado, my brother works there now as a Landman.

In my opinion, the destruction is just beginning and many regions of Colorado will end up nearly uninhabitable for decades (once the bigtime oilshale exploitation is underway) and the same is true in so many places in the U.S. and around the world (think of China).

Why, all to fuel the desires of the world's teeming billions for a little longer.

It can't continue.

Yet, in so many threads, on this board and others, person after person steps up and declares: "We are nowhere near overpopulated yet". What will it take?

7. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

Either it gets bad enough that you sell every thing you can out of the house and stop paying the morgage and move or you stay and fight the man and get sick and watch people die

probabley the best thing you could do is contact the oil company and let them know you would like to move but you need them to purchase your house for a fair price or you will cost them that much in leagal fees to fight your lawsuits .

sounds like that movie erin brockovich with if i recall was based on a true story and there realy is a woman named erin brocovich but i am sure i mis spelled it

8. Bruce in NE

Where's the Monkey Wrench Gang when you really need them?

9. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Ah-ha! An Abbey fan!

My Jeep is named Bonnie. DH's is Doc. Two other friends (who also keep their old Jeeps running) have named theirs Hayduke and Seldom.

Many a time have I asked for an acetylene torch for my birthday...

Random acts of civil disobedience and monkey wrenching. Do you think they happen any more?

Pony!

10. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Grew up in the oil and gas fields, and live there still. Amazingly healthy, and so is the whole family. I'd rather live here than in the middle of a wheat field sprayed with herbicides and pesticides any day. Or in a city. Talk about polluted.

If you heat with natural gas, drive a vehicle, use natural gas generated electricity, or use products either made with petroleum or shipped with it, you are part of the industry.

11. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Man, the reporter needs to find out facts before blabing such silliness all over the place! I lived in Debeque and went to church in Parachute for quite a few yrs. Yes, there are gas wells all over and yes people are mad about it. The oil companies own the mineral rights, not the land owners and the land owners have a beef with the oil companies. I can tell you it is not nearly as bad as this makes it out to be. If you live in any metro area you are going to get much worse pollution than you will find in Parachute.