People and animals gone to far??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Smith, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Smith

Smith Active Member

2. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

3. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

In my opinion, animals fall into two categories, pets/companions or livestock. A pet/companion deserves proper care and attention, including preventative maintenance. You want their respect friendship and they are dependant upon you to look after them, including preventing them from dying of disease. The reason you feel your animals are unlikely to die of "those things" is because we are managing them with vaccination programs. If you have livestock, you are intending to make a living from the animals and they are also dependant upon you for care and protection and you can't make a living off sick and dying animals. In my world, one dead cow means losses into the thousands of dollars when you consider the loss of the cow and future offspring. A dead or sick horse would be devastating to by breeding program as well as the fact that no reputable breeder would allow his studs to service my mares without a health certificate. For a short while, I actually thought you were maturing and starting to utilize the wisdom of the people here but again, I was wrong and you're just here to show your foolishness and waste our time. I can hardly wait till Gayle has a chance to reply to this one, it should be quite entertaining, if she bothers to dignify your foolish question with an answer.

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

In short, if you don't want to take proper care of an animal, why have one?

Or are you trolling again? :rolleyes:

5. charles

charles Well-Known Member

Well, Smith does have a kernel of possible truth in his post. People had pets and livestock for eons before there was much high-tech veterinary care. Poor animals succumbed to disease and stronger, better adapted animals survived.

Now we have sharpees (sp.) and hairless chijuajuas, and breeds that can't give birth without c-sections, and disease prone cattle breeds.

I look forward to plastic surgery to "give animals appropriate care", plus counseling for poor emotional states, etc., etc. ;)

If I had a decrepit old pet I think the best thing I might do for it would be to put it down.

6. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

At the same time- I don't know that WNV vaccine has been developed OTHER than for horses- and with teh $$$ people have tied up in horses, they'd be idiots NOT to use preventative care like that when it's available.

Apprpriate care and extreme and exaggerated breed standards are two entirely different subjects, IMO.

7. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

But people still cared for their animals, at least the people in my family. :) And it may not have been *high tech*, but there was animal doctoring available.

I agree with Corgi, that's an entirely different subject from proper care.

Really, charles. Where HAVE you BEEN!? Tomorrow is here today! ;) ;)

8. wr

Smith, do you actually use your head for more than a hat holder? You opened your mouth again, expressed a foolish opinon, probably trolling again and on it goes. It is my opinion that you start these foolish threads to cause trouble. I can't think of any other reason, most of the discussion is from folks that want to learn or want to share and you fit into neither category, you simply want to cause trouble. On that note, it would probably be best not to feed the troll and we should go back to discussing breakfast recipes again while the moderators decide if the troll should stay.

9. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

On that note, at this very moment, i am trying to replicate fried bananas and ice cream in my George Foreman Lean Mean Roasting Machine. :) I browned some butter and chopped up a banana with some cinnamon and a dash of sugar.

We'll see how it goes. (fingers crossed, it's as yummy as fried bananas and vanilla ice cream!!)

10. wr

I was bad, I had a Krispy Kreme donut for breakie. It's a bit of a novelty cause the franchise is new to Alberta.

11. MissBo

MissBo Guest

Hi Smith,
    I have to congratulate you for your open and honest questions and ideas, no matter what the consequences from the responses that you have been receiving. I have only been here for two days, I've seen your posts, and have read many of the responses that have been pouring in regarding the horses that you seemed to have unfortunately acquired. I have a 16 year old tortoise-shell female kitty, who, at one time, I felt like you. She received some wormings and shots when she was younger, but has never had a vet appointment since she was 1 year old for spaying. I thought, well, animals have never had to have all that crap to live before, why should I do it now for mine? By the good grace of God, she is still running around, and acts, at times like a frisky little kitty. She is getting old, and I always pray that she will be here when I get home, but, I know, someday, she won't come running and meowing when I arrive. She's an outdoor cat, and we don't really have too much of a bond. She stays next door at my Mother's house more than she does mine. I also have a female boxer. I drove 3 hours to see her and instantly fell in love and bought her. I paid $300 dollars for her when she was 8 weeks old. A few months later, she began limping and holding her back leg when she would walk. She was diagnosed with a growth spurt. Her tendon in her back leg did not attach correctly to her "knee joint". My option was to let her leg shrivel up and get it cut off, or undergo surgery. I opted for surgery. Her body rejected the hardware, which meant another surgery, she then acquired a staff infection...which meant another surgery. She went from a $300 pup to $2,000 dog with lots of medications and special therapeutic instructions. She sleeps with me at night, but, she is just a dog. Should I have paid all this money? Or took her out back and put her out of her misery? Eight months ago, a friend called with another registered boxer, a male. She wanted to give him to me for free!!! Come to find out, he had been fed raw meat with a whole crowd of loose dogs. Her 4 year-old son decided to pet him while he was eating rotten pork steaks. Hercules attempted to bite him. (Which is natural, survival of the fittest) He's attempted to growl at me while at his foodbowl, snapped when anyone gets too close, but, I would not let him eat unless I was petting him, and LOVING on him. Now, instead of the skittish, mean, unpredictable dog, he's a lap-baby. He has turned out to want more attention than Chloe (the female)! He scared me to no end when we first got him, and yes, we discussed giving him away, or back, but, with love and devotion, he has become the most rewarding and another treasured member of the family. The same can happen with a horse. They are predatory animals. They run when in fear. Or, if the predator is smaller, (like a person), they will try to dominate the situation. If they have already been abused, the situation will only get worse with confrontation. They are huge babies. They know what is instantanious, like, run when in doubt, or fight if you can...but, they can trust and love just like any other baby. If you have children, then you understand the instant fear they have of strangers...this also happens with horses...Fear of the unknown...Children scream, cry, kick their feet, flail their arms, throw their heads back, just like a horse will do, except they are a lot larger and stronger...if you are mean and hateful to a child, what happens? They learn the same hurtful, hateful actions...If you become resentful for taking care of the horse, become distant or lose your temper, the horse will then become distant, and always lose it's temper around others. With this in mind, you will never get the money you want, only because they will leave saying, "I don't want that damned crazy horse!" Treat the horse like a kid, (with a kid glove), let them know you are the boss, they will respect you, but don't let it get the upper hand and lose your temper. That gives them the opportunity to react like you do. IF YOU ACT CALM AND IN CONTROL, SO WILL THE HORSE. I have horses, and I've been way too soft, hehe, just the opposite, apparently. Mine are unruly because I appear I'm rewarding them for their bad behaviours. I've changed my disposition with some strong words and my attitude, and within one day, I can see a difference! I've been bit, kicked, stepped on, and "fell" off of my horses (real women never admit to getting thrown off). It's been really hard at times, but I've gotten back on. They only know what you teach them, or tell them. Some situations are uncontrollable, as is life, but that is what you learn from and what makes you stronger. If ya hate the animal that much, (which could be a conflict in personalities), that is fine, get rid of it now, while you can still get some money out of it...otherwise girl, it'll be the glue factory, and you'll be lucky to get a month's feed bill...otherwise, buck-up! Be the cowgirl you wanted to, or imagined yourself being, get in there, use a firm, but loving hand, and you'll get a loving kid (horse) out of the deal...As for the vaccines...WNV wasn't here years ago...if you love an animal, and want to keep it for years, or would like to sell it for maximum cash, ya better get it vaccinated...lots of people feel (like me) that pets are part of the family...if you or a loved one could be vaccinated from any kind of dangerous disease, you would have it done....so....do it to the horses, or any other animal...if you are gonna keep it for years of enjoyment....or if ya plan to get any kind of profit....hope this helps....sorry for the life history!!! MissBo!

12. wr

I'm hoping we soon hear how the fried bananas and ice cream turned out?

13. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

Ohhh, Krispy Kremes! Aren't they wonderful, wr? They are so wonderful that they aren't allowed in my house anymore...my will power is absolutely no match for a creme filled Krispy Kreme with chocolate on top.

Stacy in NY

14. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Smith like other boards theres some people who can't stand it that their not in charge. They disagree with what you say so you are bad bad bad and must go. Eventually they will start calling you names and expect you to lower to their level. Just ignore them sooner or later they will find someone elst to harrass and drive away. To them thats a victory. Just my .02

mikell

15. Amy Jo

Amy Jo Well-Known Member

I don't know this poster's history... but I do know that my grandparents outside cats never went to the vet. They showed up for breakfast and a petting, or they didn't. And when you think of times past when our economy wasn't so healthy, and people were really poor (there are still some today that are really poor... they don't have computers and video games... they are REALLY poor.. in my area, many of them are retired.) and the animals were lucky to have love and food. Today we say it's not taking proper care to not buy all those treatments for your animals... but the animals were here before the treatments. Our humane society would rather put a dog down than let you adopt it and keep it outdoors... hmmm if dogs needed indoor accommodations, you'd think they'd know how to use a hammer, huh? If we killed all the outside dogs 200 years ago, because it was mean to let them stay outside... wonder how many dogs we'd have today? How is a LGD supposed to do his job? Guess we should move the chickens, sheep, and whatever else into the family room too... then they take your kids because you have too many animals in the house. (I need a tongue-in-cheek smiley... anyone know where I can get one?)

There are lots of people with good hearts that would love and care for one of those animals, but can't afford a vet. They really can't. Their offers are batted away with a huff... like they're bad people to want to love an animal in that situation. So, we put the dogs down... there, that's better!

Our humane society is actually on the verge of closing. They've been bullying people and taking animals from people with threats and invasive visits. People quit giving them money. They had over $100,000 donated to them in a will... they built a beautiful building, for which they cannot afford the utilities. The reception area is GRAND, but they don't have enough room for the dogs... so they put out their sign, which says, in effect, "We're gonna kill 'em - there's no room, and it's up to you which ones die" Then they take away someone's dog, refuse to let them have it back, but offer to let them have another one for a donation of $65... just don't keep it outside and you must agree to take it to the vet, in fact if you already have a pet, they want to call your vet and find out how often you visit....

That said... I love my cats like family. They go to the vet when they're sick, and I do everything I can to keep them safe and healthy. She's spayed, he's neutered, they are indoors 100% of the time... good food that takes care of his U.T. and lots of toys and love.

But my grandparents were good people, who did their best to make sure that the cats that showed up got at least a warm meal and water... even if it was dog food that makes gravy when you add water... it was what they could afford. (my cats don't get dog food... my mom says it's not good for them)

16. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

I can eat half a dozen Krispy Kremes in one sitting and have another for desert. I had to stop buying them because when I see them I go on a see food diet. :p

17. apirlawz

apirlawz playing in the dirt

Ya'll are doing a lot better than me...I had a lime popcicle for breakfast!! :haha:

April

18. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

April,

You mean to tell me you didn't have a Krispy Kreme with that popcicle??? Oh what a sheltered life you live. :no:

Fla Gal

19. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I've never has a Krispy Kreme and there is a store being built in Appleton, WI. I can't wait to have one!

This morning, we're having brunch....fried potatoes, scrambled eggs, sausage links, warm biscuits with butter and strawberry jam with a nice pot of hot, fresh coffee.

20. wr

I always buy my Krispy Kremes at a lot sale they have each week. Unfortunately, or maybe not, they only sell the original variety, and they donate a certain amount of each sale to kids charities. I don't know about the US but they are a bit more expensive than other brands but well worth it.