Peony Seed

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by suelandress, Jun 15, 2004.

1. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

My Peony is loosing it's flowers, and the seed "pods" are very obvious now. Does anyone know when they are "ripe" so I can save the seed? I have a plant propogation book, but it doesn't specify just how to tell that they are ready for saving.

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Are you certain that you want to go that route? It will take 4 to 8 years before you have a plant big enough to finally produce a flower. Then it will not be like the parent plant. May be something good or it may not. But if you are bent on going that direction, here goes.

As soon as the seed pod husks begin to dry, and just start to open up, plant those FRESH seeds right away in a cold frame where they can be kept constantly warm and damp. Should they dry out at any time before sprouting, it may take two years for them to germinate. Now you know why peonies are never sold as seed!

If you want more peonies, and have a large clump, wait until about early August. Then slice down through the clump and remove half of the root cluster. Or remove the entire plant and divide. Make certain that there are some feeder roots and a growth eye on each piece. Immediately plant them back, water them in, and wait for spring.

Martin

3. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

What makes me nervous about dividing the clump is that I read that you have to be sure not to injure any of the fat roots....yet the picture shows them all lumped together under the center of the plant. How can you go down the middle and not damage them?

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Sue, here is a good explanation of what to do.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8501.html

It would be interesting to see what the seed produced. Might come up with a new variety the 'Suelandress'!

BTW, when I have divided peonies, they didn't bloom the next year. But the year after they were gorgeous!