pennyroyal?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by wizzard, May 11, 2005.

1. wizzard

wizzard future nomad

does anyone on here grow pennyroyal? if so what all do you use it for?

2. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

Be careful. It can lead to miscarriage.

3. healing herbals

healing herbals Pam in OK

It is used against fleas, and other insects
    http://botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/p/pennyr23.html

It is a mint, and can be used for colds and to assist with menstruation.
    As with any herb, treat it respectively.

The green herb bruised and putinto vinegar, cleanses foul ulcers and takes away the marks of bruises and blows about the eyes, and burns in the face, and the leprosy, if drank and applied outwardly.... One spoonful of the juice sweetened with sugar-candy is a cure for hooping-cough.'

4. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

We pick the leaves and rub them on our arms to keep mosquitoes away. Works except when the little buggers are especially hungry.

5. wizzard

wizzard future nomad

ok, so a few people use it then... it is realy a very good insect repellant. i boil fresh stems and leaves with just enough water to cover the plant. boil for abuot 15 min. strain off the plant. let cool. rub on skin.

i have been looking for some other varieties of pennyroyal. if anyone happens to have access to a type, and is willing to work something out with me for them send me an email or pm thx :)

also makes a lovely tea. and im a male, no miscarages for me :)

6. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

Pennyroyal is Mentha pulegium. Use it externally ONLY, if you must, even if you are a male! The smell of it is often enough to cause convulsions in susceptible people (pregnant or not). I've seen large dogs have fits after rolling in it - dogs which didn't have a history of fitting.

Pennyroyal should be avoided by pregnant women, who should not be permitted even to smell it. It can cause convulsions and possibly abortion of the foetus. In medicinal dosages it can be toxic to the liver and should be used with extreme caution at all times. Pennyroyal oil can cause vomiting, high blood pressure, and paralysis, leading to death.

It's one herb I refuse to have in my herb-only garden. Frankly, there are many far safer pest-repellent herbs around, and I'd opt for them every time over pennyroyal.

7. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

If you suffer from Kidney problems you should also beware of pennyroyal.

You can use it in cupboards and beds to deter ants and fleas...

Belinda