Pennyroyal question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by TnMtngirl, Oct 11, 2004.

1. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Found some pennyroyal up on a mountian top in a cleared field,it had larger leaves than the plant I had in the yard.The smell is unmistakeable, now I really dont know, is there 2 kinds that grow wild?

2. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

I'm only familar with one type "american pennyroyal" It grows wild throughout the Appalachian Mountains. Higher altitude and growing conditions in the mountains might make it look a bit different (stronger..maybe).
    Good find!
    Bill

3. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks Bill,yes it is the biggest patch I have ever seen.Growing conditions could make a diffrence.Mary

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

in the smokies, it is not at all uncommon to find several varieties of the same kind of plant. amazing biodiversity!!!!

5. treeguy

treeguy Active Member

there is a wild variety of pennyroyal and it usually has larger leaves than the kind you would buy from a nursery. Normally there are many cultivars (short for cultivated variety), of any plants that are domesticated. there are different wild mints but then you can buy 100's of cultivars like chocolate mint, grapefruit mint, 10 kinds of spearmint, etc. Pennyroyal is a mint too. good for repelling fleas on cats & dogs, but cats & dogs hate the smell of most mints. Ever noticed the breath.